Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cron vs. Austin

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:23 AM

Once waivers are obtained, aren't they good for the entire season?

Yes (for the waiver period, rather than the season) -- but it resets once you actually outright them (remove them from the roster). If you add them back again and later want to remove them again, they have to go through waivers again too, even if you are still in the same waiver period.

I think waiver periods are about timing waiver requests for guys you anticipate outrighting in the future -- not a free pass to add and remove a guy from the roster a bunch of times.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

If Austin proves himself worthy, I wouldn’t be completely against moving Cron for an established bullpen arm.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,642 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:46 PM

If Austin proves himself worthy, I wouldn’t be completely against moving Cron for an established bullpen arm.

Nobody was willing to trade anything for Cron 6 weeks ago when Tampa waived him for nothing.
  • Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:12 PM

Nobody was willing to trade anything for Cron 6 weeks ago when Tampa waived him for nothing.

You’re probably right, but you never know. Plans change when someone gets hurt.

Besides, the only way I could see the FO even considering shopping Cron is if both Austin and Rooker really impress during camp.
  • Sconnie likes this

#25 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,856 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:15 AM

You’re probably right, but you never know. Plans change when someone gets hurt.

Besides, the only way I could see the FO even considering shopping Cron is if both Austin and Rooker really impress during camp.

The value of 30 home run plus 1B's decreases with every 20 home run plus 2B in the league. 

• DocBauer and dbminn like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#26 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:42 AM

Does it really matter? The Yankees didn't want Austin and the Rays didn't want Cron. Looks to me like both of these guys are expendable and very likely easy to replace. The FO wanted Cron or they wouldn't have went after him when they already had Austin. That alone should tell you Austin is odd man out unless the plan is to use either one of them as a trade chip down the road. Of course there is always that thing called insurance too, in case someone gets hurt. I can envision Austin playing the outfield with the same capability of Sano or Robbie Grossman. Doubt that will happen with Cave, Granite and Wade as first choice backups. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,054 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

Does it really matter? The Yankees didn't want Austin and the Rays didn't want Cron. Looks to me like both of these guys are expendable and very likely easy to replace. The FO wanted Cron or they wouldn't have went after him when they already had Austin. That alone should tell you Austin is odd man out unless the plan is to use either one of them as a trade chip down the road. Of course there is always that thing called insurance too, in case someone gets hurt. I can envision Austin playing the outfield with the same capability of Sano or Robbie Grossman. Doubt that will happen with Cave, Granite and Wade as first choice backups.

The Yankees are loaded. They have a strategy of having stars in the majors, and young guys with high variance in the minors, that don't need to be on the forty man. Austin no longer fit their context. The twins have a different context. I don't get how people think so teams have the same depth and context.
  • Twins33 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

I'll be the one to say that casting off Austin will prove to be the worse of the two options.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#29 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:06 PM

The Yankees are loaded. They have a strategy of having stars in the majors, and young guys with high variance in the minors, that don't need to be on the forty man. Austin no longer fit their context. The twins have a different context. I don't get how people think so teams have the same depth and context.

So, with that being said about the Yankees and their depth then finding a replacement for Austin if the Twins lose him shouldn't be that difficult. They can just pluck another guy from the Yankees if the need arises. Doesn't change anything.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,054 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

So, with that being said about the Yankees and their depth then finding a replacement for Austin if the Twins lose him shouldn't be that difficult. They can just pluck another guy from the Yankees if the need arises. Doesn't change anything.

I have no idea how you get that from my post. They did not have space for this particular player, at that particular time. The Twins did. Nothing more or less.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 02 February 2019 - 06:24 PM.

• brvama and LA VIkes Fan like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#31 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

The value of 30 home run plus 1B's decreases with every 20 home run plus 2B in the league.

Agreed. Why it never really hurt to have Mauer at 1B with his OB/AVG/contact and plus defense. Offensively speaking, Dozier and Mauer were a swap of how a lineup might normally be constructed. Lot of ways to build a quality lineup.

All that being said, I still like the Cron signing. Yes, having a Goldschmidt would be preferable. And yes, a non-.300 hitting 1B with 20HR power seems to come cheap nowadays. But there is still value in a guy like Cron. He finally had the opportunity for 500AB. Experience, opportunity and some tweaks to his approach lead to a "breakout" season of sorts. Can he duplicate his 2018? Or maybe even improve on it? I guess we'll see. Adding another decent hitter with legitimate 20+HR power remains a good thing, IMO.
  • Twins33, Riverbrian and LA VIkes Fan like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#32 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

They decided when they got Cron - Austin hits the highway

#33 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:51 AM

am i the only one that cant understand why we dont at least make an offer to Moustakas or Gonzalez?
  • Sconnie and DocBauer like this

#34 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:59 PM

Moustakas should be our 3b and Gonzalez our Adrianza. This makes too much sense for the FO to do it.

#35 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Moustakas should be our 3b and Gonzalez our Adrianza. This makes too much sense for the FO to do it.

Sano will be our 3B until he isn't. Gordon will replace Adrianza when he's ready. There's a bigger picture out there.

• caninatl04 likes this

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

I'll be the one to say that casting off Austin will prove to be the worse of the two options.

I really hope they keep them both personally. Not ideal in that it would be nice if we had some handedness differences there, but there's always going to be a good bat on the bench in a key PH spot. I'd rather do that than have an 8th guy in the pen. 

• Doomtints likes this

#37 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 14,193 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

Not sure about Moose.. .but Gonzalez would have been a great replacement for Adrianza and could basically be the 4th IF playing 3 out of 4 games.

Oh well... that ship has sailed unfortunately. 

• Mike Sixel and DocBauer like this

#38 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 04:37 PM

We had Marwin Gonzalez + in Escobar, but wouldn't go $21mil over the 3-years that he eventually got from Arizona.Why would we spend as much or more for a similar replacement?Adrianza, Torreyes and/or Austidillo will be our utility guys.The Twins have put their eggs in an everyday basket with Sano, Polanco & Schoop handling the infield.They'll take their chances at 1B with Cron, Austin or even Kepler if another outfielder (Cave, Reed, Wade, Rooker, etc.) emerges. 

• DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#39 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Twins Mods
  • 4,658 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:45 PM

We had Marwin Gonzalez + in Escobar, but wouldn't go $21mil over the 3-years that he eventually got from Arizona. Why would we spend as much or more for a similar replacement?

This seems logical, but how accurate is it? How sure are we that Escobar was lowballed on his extension from Falvine? Is it possible Escobar was looking for a change of scenery and just liked the scenery better in Arizona?
  • Mike Sixel, gil4, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#40 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:12 PM

We had Marwin Gonzalez + in Escobar, but wouldn't go $21mil over the 3-years that he eventually got from Arizona.Why would we spend as much or more for a similar replacement?Adrianza, Torreyes and/or Austidillo will be our utility guys.The Twins have put their eggs in an everyday basket with Sano, Polanco & Schoop handling the infield.They'll take their chances at 1B with Cron, Austin or even Kepler if another outfielder (Cave, Reed, Wade, Rooker, etc.) emerges.

I absolutely agree 100%! Now, we don't know what they offered him, but $7M per for 3yrs would have made him affordable and valuable as a role player who played as much as a starter giving the team outstanding depth and roster flexibility.

What frustrates me so much...and I LIKE Adrianza...is that our only real depth/option for the infield is Adrianza. That's it! Even with Escobar gone, and even if Marwin was too expensive or just didn't want to be here, there were other solid bat/multiple position guys available for depth. And we didn't even appear interested. (Which is why I made a post attempting to discuss if the FO was "blowing it" in regard to infield depth). I'm sorry, but I just don't see Torreyes and the not yet ready Gordon or Arraez as depth.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown