Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cron vs. Austin

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

Don't see any way the Twins break camp with both of these guys on the roster.Will it be a true competition in Ft. Meyers between these two for the 1B gig, or does Cron's salary commitment give him the spot?At almost two years younger and with considerably less ML experience, I prefer Austin's upside.I see nothing wrong with pitting these two against each other in Spring Training and seeing who emerges. 

• nclahammer likes this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

I'm not a fan of deciding roster spots based on practice games, against a mix of actual mlb/milb players, when guys are often working on specific things.
That's not to say nothing can be gleaned from ST, but I hope they have more analysis going into the roster decision than that.
  • birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#3 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

I'm not a fan of deciding roster spots based on practice games, against a mix of actual mlb/milb players, when guys are often working on specific things.
That's not to say nothing can be gleaned from ST, but I hope they have more analysis going into the roster decision than that.

I agree, how many times have we seen a dude just completely light spring training on fire and then flatline during the season. About the only real thing you can guage is possibly work ethic, some guys may slack it a little in ST and some might work really hard. In that case you might be able to make some decisions. But not from performance in pretend games.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#4 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

Cron is probably the "safer" pick between the two while Austin is the "upside" one. I put those in quotes because Cron really isn't thatttttt safe of a bet and Austin isn't really thatttttt high of an upside guy but that seems to be how they are being pitted against each other.

I think they pick Cron (I'd rather they go with Austin, personally) but you are right though in that it is really hard to see them be able to fit both onto the roster with our roster construction. 

• bighat likes this

#5 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:14 AM

My guess is they’ll sneak (or try) Austin through waivers. Cron was a bargain, Cruz was a bargain. Austin can be replaced relatively cheaply
  • Kelly Vance, caninatl04 and Original Whizzinator like this

#6 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:22 AM

Is there some way both make the opening day roster?

Two catchers and four outfielders would leave seven spots for infielders if they can go north with a 12 man pitching staff.Cruz, Schoop, Polanco, Sano and Adrianza leaves two spots.Not ideal to have 3 guys that pretty much play 1B or DH.But could they do it for a few weeks or month until they can move either Cron or Austin for something of value?Unfortunately, the other problem would be getting both of them at bats.

On the other hand, no need to make this decision until the last week of spring training.Lots of times these type of problems sort themselves out.

• AlwaysinModeration, Sconnie, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

I think Austin's strikeout issues are going to be too much to overcome; I think the fans would grow frustrated in very short order. His 2016 MiLB numbers show that he could draw a lot of walks and get on base, but he hasn't been able to replicate that at any level since. Even more so than the power, I think that would be the only avenue for him to compensate for the strikeouts. Well aside from actually cutting down on the strikeouts.

• Dman, SF Twins Fan and Original Whizzinator like this

#8 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:40 AM

Is there some way both make the opening day roster?

Two catchers and four outfielders would leave seven spots for infielders if they can go north with a 12 man pitching staff. Cruz, Schoop, Polanco, Sano and Adrianza leaves two spots. Not ideal to have 3 guys that pretty much play 1B or DH. But could they do it for a few weeks or month until they can move either Cron or Austin for something of value? Unfortunately, the other problem would be getting both of them at bats.

On the other hand, no need to make this decision until the last week of spring training. Lots of times these type of problems sort themselves out.

Sano is perfectly capable of DH 1b duties too. They won’t carry 3 primary DH/1B players. More likely if 12 pitchers break camp Big Toe is the extra infielder. He has options and can play SS.

More likely for Austin to break camp is if he can show ability to play outfield. He has history there. I believe Cave has an option, so CF depth can be with the team next day, and Kepler is a capable CF.
  • Riverbrian, Otwins and Original Whizzinator like this

#9 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:02 AM

I agree that in-game spring training results aren't true indicators of future performance.I am more so interested in each guy's overall showing in Florida.With zero specific information on either player's make-up or desire, I am assuming that Cron's 1,900 AB career is pretty indicative of what he can produce.Hopefully Austin, at less than 400 AB's will show the willingness and ability to adjust his approach to correct his displayed weaknesses in pitch selection and plate coverage. 

As I mentioned previously, I prefer Austin's upside.But I hope whoever claims the spot is not satisfied with what they've accomplished thus far, and aspires towards more. 

• birdwatcher likes this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#10 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,869 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

I think the decision has been made already between Cron and Austin. I think the decision now is between 12 or 13 pitchers and Austin or someone else.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 14 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,072 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:33 AM

I think the decision has been made already between Cron and Austin. I think the decision now is between 12 or 13 pitchers and Austin or someone else.

This
  • woolywoolhouse and rghrbek like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#12 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

If its 12 pitchers then there is one spot still open. That could be between Austin and Ronald Torreyes. Austin does have some COF in his back ground, so if he can build on that that does allow him to offer some versatility. A wild card is still Astudillo, but with his remaining option he is at a disadvantage. 

I hope they go with 12 pitchers myself.

Edit: I think Cron is already in too. He along with Cruz and Schoop represents too much of the FO's off season imo for them to cut him loose.

Edited by sweetmusicviola16, 31 January 2019 - 10:50 AM.

• Carole Keller, tarheeltwinsfan and caninatl04 like this

#13 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

I’ll take Moustakas over both please.
  • darin617, zenser, KGB and 2 others like this

#14 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

They definitely need to give Austin substantial time in the OF this spring. If he is competent out there it changes the parameters of this decision substantially
  • Mike Sixel, scottz, beckmt and 2 others like this

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

They should battle it out in spring training.

However it would be very foolish to use stats from spring training to assess which player wins the battle. We rely on the skilled eyes of the staff to make that determination.
  • birdwatcher and Original Whizzinator like this

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,128 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:31 PM

Austin has to be able to play OF at a capable level. It's his only chance. 

And then Austin will need enough at-bats and defensive innings to decide his own fate through his own performance. It's his only chance. 

Otherwise... it's a case of sneaking him into AAA like Vargas last year. But once he's off the 40 man... getting back on the 40 man will be problematic for him. 

Keeping both Austin and Cron as 1B only players who would absolutely goofy roster management. 

I like Austin... He impressed me. Of course after watching Morrison all season... anybody else would have impressed me following that act. 

If I were to guess and I will... Austin will join the list of players who fade off into the baseball sunset, never getting a door opened for him.  

• Sconnie, tarheeltwinsfan and Original Whizzinator like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#17 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:25 PM

You keep both as long as you can and make the Austin cut on the final day of spring training and hope you can keep him for depth. Does he stay on the 40-man if he has to clear waivers. Of course, anytime he returns he has to be added, and if cut still again needs to go thru waivers.

Do you see either of them here in 2020...or better yet 2021?

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 01 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

You keep both as long as you can and make the Austin cut on the final day of spring training and hope you can keep him for depth. Does he stay on the 40-man if he has to clear waivers. Of course, anytime he returns he has to be added, and if cut still again needs to go thru waivers.

Do you see either of them here in 2020...or better yet 2021?

Cron has one more Arbitration year, Austin hasn’t been through arb yet. So yeah, I do
  • woolywoolhouse and caninatl04 like this

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

Once waivers are obtained, aren't they good for the entire season?

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#20 Jim Hahn

Jim Hahn

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

We have had this debate before, but Austin has no real chance to make the roster unless there is an injury. Right now, Cron is better. Even as the 13th man, Austin makes little sense. Either Austudillo or Torreyes makes more sense. The lineup is already overloaded with low average, low ob, high strike out, right hand sluggers.

Austin makes sense as AAA insurance, so they will likely try to sneak him through waivers. I don't think either Cron or Austin are very likely long term answers, neither is very likely to provide the production you want at 1b. Rooker, Weil and possibly others look like they could provide similar, maybe better production fairly soon. They will be cheaper which seems to matter to this FO.

Edited by Jim Hahn, 01 February 2019 - 10:38 AM.

• Halsey Hall, South Dakota Tom and caninatl04 like this