Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: 16-20

gilberto celestino zack littell lamonte wade jorge alcala jose miranda
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 jsteve96

jsteve96

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

These 5 are all about the same spots in my list. I agree that Acala and Miranda should be in the 16-20, but I could easily see them both being top 10 on the midseason list. That is what makes this system fun. A lot of high ceiling guys in the teens and outside top 20. 

I could see 2 of these 5 turning into really good MLB players.

• birdwatcher and gagu like this

#42 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

Some Rankings:

Celestino: Seth (13th), Nick (15th), Tom (19th), Cody (19th)

Littell: Seth (18th), Nick (NR), Tom (11th), Cody (14th)

Wade: Seth (21), Nick (17), Tom (21), Cody (20)

Alcala: Seth (19), Nick (18), Tom (17), Cody (26)

Miranda: Seth (16), Nick (NA), Tom (16), Cody (24)

Note - Tom,, Cody and my Top 50s are in the Twins Prospect Handbook. 

Interesting - obviously Cody has a lot of surprises in his list since two players would not be in the top 20 and two are barely in.

But I was most interested in the wide spread over Littell.I have had the feeling that he is AAAA and is a tease for the team.When I see 18, NR, 11, 14 it would seem that he is a mystery for your group as well.

#43 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

Interesting - obviously Cody has a lot of surprises in his list since two players would not be in the top 20 and two are barely in.

But I was most interested in the wide spread over Littell.I have had the feeling that he is AAAA and is a tease for the team.When I see 18, NR, 11, 14 it would seem that he is a mystery for your group as well.

Littell is the one guy imo who isn't in the top20. That's not to say that he is disregarded as a prospect but that others have passed him by in intrigue and potential.

#44 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Wahoo

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Littel looks that way to me too, AAAA, but then you look at his age and some good results/numbers maybe he's got a chance.
  • Mike Sixel, mikelink45 and DocBauer like this

#45 jkcarew

jkcarew

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:28 PM

Cody leaving the door open for a top-15 Lewin Diaz ranking.
Again.
  • Mike Sixel and mikelink45 like this

#46 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:00 PM

Right now, today, I'd rather have Pressly and Escobar, and have them extended. I really liked/like both of them and feel we'd be better off with both of them. But I also get the realities of building the entire organization, the depth, and offers that were too good to pass up. And the more I read about the returns, the more I like them. Depth is awesome for building, and for competition. But at some point, that depth also means opportunity for trades. I hope this FO will take advantage of that going forward. What impresses me about this list is how many really nice looking young ballplayers are in the honorable mention area, or not mentioned even there. Between what is on the roster now, and what will be arriving over this season and next, I admit to being pretty excited.
  • mikelink45, Dman and Original Whizzinator like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#47 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,692 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

I was very discouraged by Littell's initial appearances in the majors, but honestly watched very little Twins baseball in September.Did his curve improve at all against major leaguers?He seemed incapable of getting whiffs with it in his first few appearances, but I know his numbers improved some in September.

I can't see him ever having success in the majors without a better secondary.Gonsalves, for example, I could see having success throwing a higher rate of secondaries, but I think hitters will continue to sit on either Littell's fastball or curveball and the results won't be pretty for him.

I haven't watched much of Littell, so it wouldn't be very fair for me to comment on his potential, despite reports or milb numbers. But what I did see was a guy who just looked nervous, rushed, and wasn't ready yet. I remember one game where he was brought in from the pen with the bases loaded and lost the game. I want to say he walked in the winning run, but not sure i remember correctly.

Hopefully he can embrace his 2018 experience and learn from it and build on it.
  • mikelink45 likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#48 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:14 AM

this list is just showing how lower end the Twins farm system was after the 4 - 5 players graduated from it over the past 4 years.And very little pitching has come out of the system.Hopefully that will change over time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilberto celestino, zack littell, lamonte wade, jorge alcala, jose miranda