Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: 16-20

gilberto celestino zack littell lamonte wade jorge alcala jose miranda
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:30 AM

Alcala is 11th and Celestino is 14th according to MLB.com. Baseball Prospectus has Celestino at 10th.

I'm thrilled that 1 year of control for a relief pitcher netted this return.

They could use a good RP this year, on a team projected to win 82-84 games. When do they play for the present? Take their worst relievers, and replace those innings with Pressley...
  • birdwatcher, Twins33, dbminn and 1 other like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,090 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

I too am very positive on Alcala. Just out of curiosity, why do you consider him "high risk"?

For two reasons:

1. He has to develop his secondary pitches (SL, CH; maybe drop the curve as well)which are at best average right now

2. He has to improve his command that is spotty.  

He can throw 98 mph fastball past minor league pitchers, but that does not cut in the majors (ask Mr. Hoey, James)

• Dman, adorduan, dbminn and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

I think you can honestly start considering Celestino and Alcala as high as fifth. This is a potential five-tool center fielder and a guy who throws triple-digit heat. The tools are elite. Collectively, I think we took more of a pessimistic view on both for this list. I tend to be a bit conservative in my rankings, so I'm comfortable with where they ended up, but I wouldn't bat an eye at a list that had either one comfortably inside the top 10.

Is he moving up fast enough to take the Buxton spot if Byron does not reach his potential?

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

Really hope Miranda can stick at 3rd ... That position is pretty weak up and down the system .... Was hopeful on Bechtold going into last season, but he really disappointed with the bat ... He's looking like a 23 yo repeating Low-A

Hope Miranda can really break out, finish the season in Pensacola with Lewis and Kirilloff (if they are still there) and give the hot corner a better looking future.

I share your concern.I do not see Sano, even if he ups his game, staying at 3B for years.We need a fall back.

• ChrisKnutson, gagu and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#25 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

I have watched and rooted for LaMonte for the last couple years, but I honestly feel he will make it when he is with another club.I think Cave is number 4 and they never really considered Wade.Then Kiriloff comes up and Wade continues to be pushed down.I am sorry about this, but maybe he is a good trade chip.

• Mike Sixel, Dman, ChrisKnutson and 6 others like this

#26 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

They could use a good RP this year, on a team projected to win 82-84 games. When do they play for the present? Take their worst relievers, and replace those innings with Pressley...

I'm honestly OK when a team cashes in on a player like they did with Pressley. But bringing us to the present, that's why we should have been players in the huge RP FA market that this off season saw. The players were very much available to replace Pressley, but they didn't. That is a shame.

• Carole Keller, birdwatcher, diehardtwinsfan and 6 others like this

#27 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

They could use a good RP this year, on a team projected to win 82-84 games. When do they play for the present?

Take their worst relievers, and replace those innings with Pressley...

What would Pressly add to that win total?Is that the missing link, a great setup man?It would have been nice to have Pressly but I have to agree with Tom's article when he said the deal was too good to pass on.

Projections are a funny thing too.Martin Perez is projected by Steamer to have a better ERA than Odorizzi. 

• LA VIkes Fan, gagu and caninatl04 like this

#28 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

The system is deep, I get that. However, I'm not exactly thrilled that Pressly was traded for people who rank 19 and 16 in the system.

It's a wee bit early to declare a winner.

But it's always going to make me uneasy when a GM trades from an area of shortage. Falvey's made a couple of confounding moves, that's for sure. I'll be paying close attention as to how this decision pans out, and the perplexing Perez decision too.

• Mike Sixel, KGB and ChrisKnutson like this

#29 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

What would Pressly add to that win total?Is that the missing link, a great setup man?It would have been nice to have Pressly but I have to agree with Tom's article when he said the deal was too good to pass on.

Projections are a funny thing too.Martin Perez is projected by Steamer to have a better ERA than Odorizzi. 

steamer projected Yu to throw 179 IP in '18 with a 3.81 ERA too.

• Dman likes this

#30 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 23,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:32 AM

steamer projected Yu to throw 179 IP in '18 with a 3.81 ERA too.

So, we make no judgements, no forecasts, no guesses, whatsoever? Every candidate has an equal shot at contributing? That's what this sounds like.

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

A great set up man, followed by a better catcher, followed by another good RP.....moves aren't in a vacuum. Your question seems to be: should we care they don't add one more good player, if one more good player won't help them win it all.

IMO, we should care if they have good players, and are always adding more good players. Maybe in 3 years these guys will matter. In the meantime, the FO decided not to sign FA RPs, and I'm guessing we'll see 3-4 guys throw negative WAR innings, all of which Pressley could have absorbed. 

• sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#32 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

A great set up man, followed by a better catcher, followed by another good RP.....moves aren't in a vacuum. Your question seems to be: should we care they don't add one more good player, if one more good player won't help them win it all.

IMO, we should care if they have good players, and are always adding more good players. Maybe in 3 years these guys will matter. In the meantime, the FO decided not to sign FA RPs, and I'm guessing we'll see 3-4 guys throw negative WAR innings, all of which Pressley could have absorbed. 

We don't add good players because we don't know if we are going to be good or not. If we find the answer to that question is we actually were good then we don't add because the price that the other team wants is too high. Or we don't know if that player will make us that much better. 

We are only given excuse after excuse for reasons why not to get better. The sad part is many fans are willing to accept those excuses as valid and not hold the org accountable and give it a free pass time after time.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#33 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Good point.Technically if they were willing to spend a little money they could have replaced his production via Free Agency.Unfortunately I don't think the arms they added are as good as what they lost in Pressley.So they didn't have to lose present opportunity if they didn't want to.

• Mike Sixel, LA VIkes Fan and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#34 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Good point.Technically if they were willing to spend a little money they could have replaced his production via Free Agency.Unfortunately I don't think the arms they added are as good as what they lost in Pressley.So they didn't have to lose present opportunity if they didn't want to.

Right now the replacement for Pressley would be Blake Parker. Parker is not even close to the pitcher that Pressley is.

Again, no excuse for not having taken advantage of this seasons RP market. Parker would have been a fine 3rd piece to add, but not our top add up until now.

#35 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

I'm' really high on Miranda. I think he's got tremendous power potential and 3B is his likely home. 

I am high on Miranda as well. Not mentioned in the blurb (perhaps blessedly!) is the horrible start he got off to in low-A. Through May 12th (in 103 AB), his line was:

Avg: .165

OBP: .232

Slg: .232

That gave him an OPS of .455! He got a few days off, and whatever he did worked, as he came back on May 15th and proceeded to hit .315/364/.507 over the next ~300AB.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, beckmt and 6 others like this

#36 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

In a season where our lineup is relying heavily on multiple breakout seasons I would rather trade that year of Pressly but that's just me.I'm not saying we had to dump him, just that we were right to take a good deal like this if it came along.

I take it you're also taking the strides Pressly took with Houston as what we are missing out on in 2019.Not sure how much of that is Houston's coaching.If we are looking to replace the 3.40 ERA (4.70 in 2017) it is a much less daunting replacement.Blake Parker could be argued for that.

Edited by SomeGuy, 31 January 2019 - 12:22 PM.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

In a season where our lineup is relying heavily on multiple breakout seasons I would rather trade that year of Pressly but that's just me.I'm not saying we had to dump him, just that we were right to take a good deal like this if it came along.

I take it you're also taking the strides Pressly took with Houston as what we are missing out on in 2019.Not sure how much of that is Houston's coaching.If we are looking to replace the 3.40 ERA (4.70 in 2017) it is a much less daunting replacement.Blake Parker could be argued for that.

Parker should be replacing the guys behind Pressley......they need 7-8 RPs. IMO, of course.

#38 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,560 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Some Rankings:

Celestino: Seth (13th), Nick (15th), Tom (19th), Cody (19th)

Littell: Seth (18th), Nick (NR), Tom (11th), Cody (14th)

Wade: Seth (21), Nick (17), Tom (21), Cody (20)

Alcala: Seth (19), Nick (18), Tom (17), Cody (26)

Miranda: Seth (16), Nick (NA), Tom (16), Cody (24)

Note - Tom,, Cody and my Top 50s are in the Twins Prospect Handbook. 

• Mike Sixel, mikelink45 and caninatl04 like this

#39 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:42 PM

Parker should be replacing the guys behind Pressley......they need 7-8 RPs. IMO, of course.

Replacing an entire bullpen seems like a stretch.I wanted 2-3 but giving a spot to Romero and/or Mejia fills my expectations. 

Dan Hayes just said he thinks we might see the Twins enter the Kimbrel sweepstakes but that is mostly speculation and I highly doubt it.

#40 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

Some Rankings:

Celestino: Seth (13th), Nick (15th), Tom (19th), Cody (19th)

Littell: Seth (18th), Nick (NR), Tom (11th), Cody (14th)

Wade: Seth (21), Nick (17), Tom (21), Cody (20)

Alcala: Seth (19), Nick (18), Tom (17), Cody (26)

Miranda: Seth (16), Nick (NA), Tom (16), Cody (24)

Note - Tom,, Cody and my Top 50s are in the Twins Prospect Handbook. 

Thanks Seth.My mind had wandered and I forgot which thread I was in.And I say that knowing I was one who helped dump gasoline on the Pressley angle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gilberto celestino, zack littell, lamonte wade, jorge alcala, jose miranda