Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily 2019 Top Prospects: Honorable Mentions

kohl stewartjordan balazovic jacob pearson luke raley luis arraez
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 108Stitches

108Stitches

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Sean Poppin has quitely climed his way up the ladder to AA and no one says anything about him as a prospect.

this is true. Poppen gets almost zero attention despite having better results than much higher ranked guys. I know more goes into these than results but really? Results like Tyler Wells are real, not conjecture. And I don’t think nearly enough emphasis goes towards real world results vs “oh he throws hard so he’s top 20”.
  • jokin, Dman and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,679 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

It is a very deep system.....let's hope they have improved the development side.

With the very apparent move away from signing higher-dollar/long term FAs, we need more than hope. It seems critical to the long-term success of the club to dramatically increasing the Hit/Miss rate on prospects.

(BTW- Is there a service that grades clubs on their Hit/Miss rate on say, the first 5 or 10 rounds in the draft, plus the International signing period?)

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#23 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

It is a very deep system.....let's hope they have improved the development side.

Let's hope the Twins team does well enough this season that allows the front office to use some of this depth to improve the major league team.

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, beckmt and 3 others like this

#24 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Let's hope the Twins team does well enough this season that allows the front office to use some of this depth to improve the major league team.

Tru dat

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#25 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

Hiw fast does Poppen throw? I thiught he was a 91 -94 mph fastball. Am i wrong? He also has good control and k rates. Seems he could be a 3 - 5 starter based on what little i know. Does he have good movement on his pitches? I do see he is league average age or slightly higher each step so far. He is pitching well at AA which should have us asking if he could be a big league starter...

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

And hopefully, when the rookies get promoted from the minors, they won't play as terribly as they usually do. That's what I hope changes soon.

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#27 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Writers
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Kind of along where I've been thinking. It's terrific to have a deep system and IMO any system where Balazovic is on the outside of your Top 20 looking in has to be awfully deep! 

But you only have room to promote so many guys each year. Eventually, even if a large percentage of these guys pan out, you're going to end up losing them to Rule 5 drafts and/or as minor league free agents. You can't control them on the farm forever.

Obviously, would be a great problem to have, of course! But ideally, the FO will be able to roll a few of them for assets the team can control longer and/or MLB players to fill an immediate need.

• Mike Sixel, big dog, KGB and 3 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

DeJong DFA to make room for Perez. One heck of a trade.....

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#29 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

With all these seemingly good prospects, we shouldn't be afraid of trading a few for an established MLer if the right opportunity arises.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#30 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

The sooner the leash on the Buxton/Sano farce is pulled the better. Start not planning around them.

#31 The Mask of Zoilo

The Mask of Zoilo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:26 PM

I keep waiting for one of the 7 outfielders to be dfa'd. Twins only have 20 pitchers on their 40 man, lowest in the American League.
  • Mike Sixel, Twins33, caninatl04 and 1 other like this

#32 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:42 PM

The Twins could use a vacation from the injury bug this season. Wouldn't it be great to see just normal aches and pains, and nothing catastrophic for a while? 

Throw with your legs, beeches!

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#33 The Mask of Zoilo

The Mask of Zoilo

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:43 PM

Now that de Jong has been dfa'd let's replace him on the honorable mention with Zander Weil who's going to get a cup of coffee someday with somebody and may surprise as a Cron type 1st base/DH bat. Go Zander.
  • Seth Stohs, Mike Sixel and Dman like this

#34 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:07 AM

I keep waiting for one of the 7 outfielders to be dfa'd. Twins only have 20 pitchers on their 40 man, lowest in the American League.

I have been thinking the same thing.Kept expecting Granite to be the one gone.

After carrying only 14 position players much of last year, are they going to try to stay around 20/20 this year?  

#35 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,143 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:43 AM

I have been thinking the same thing.Kept expecting Granite to be the one gone.

After carrying only 14 position players much of last year, are they going to try to stay around 20/20 this year?  

26 pitchers bugged me last year - they were evidently having trouble deciding wheat from chaff, not that I'm a better guesser. 20 now may be too low by a smidgen. Can we not swing to the extremes, please?

I think I can see the logic behind all the outfielders, as they individually seem like they could contribute, and none of the ones at the bottom of the totem pole have trade value at the moment.

• birdwatcher likes this

I don't have to tell you it goes without saying there are some things better left unsaid. I think that speaks for itself. The less said about it, the better. -- George Carlin

#36 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

For a couple months of Zach Friggin' Duke I thought a team would give up a heckuva lot more than a B grade starter like De Jong and a C grade guy like Costello. Stupid Twins.;)

• Ben Noble likes this

#37 JustinCB

JustinCB

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

For a couple months of Zach Friggin' Duke I thought a team would give up a heckuva lot more than a B grade starter like De Jong and a C grade guy like Costello. Stupid Twins.;)

Weren't there more logical choices to DFA ahead of De Jong though?I'll just leave these first couple comments from the mlbtr post here:

nmendoza7
Tyler Duffey is absolutely blackmailing someone

hrbekrules
He has got some sketchy pictures Falvey for sure!

• caninatl04 likes this

#38 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Weren't there more logical choices to DFA ahead of De Jong though?I'll just leave these first couple comments from the mlbtr post here:

nmendoza7
Tyler Duffey is absolutely blackmailing someone

hrbekrules
He has got some sketchy pictures Falvey for sure!

Do you remember watching Duffey pitch the first month or so he was with the Twins a couple years ago?I recall a game he started in Houston where he was unhittable.Remember thinking he could tell the hitter he was throwing his 12-6 curve and they still couldn't handle it.Maybe some within the organization are thinking this new staff just may help him find what he once had?

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,283 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Do you remember watching Duffey pitch the first month or so he was with the Twins a couple years ago?I recall a game he started in Houston where he was unhittable.Remember thinking he could tell the hitter he was throwing his 12-6 curve and they still couldn't handle it.Maybe some within the organization are thinking this new staff just may help him find what he once had?

I remember that... was 2015... But, he does have an option remaining and the spin rate (I assume). 

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,283 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

More on the voting... remember that the Top 30 rankings for Seth, Tom and Cody are in the prospect handbook whereas Nick provides a Top 20 list. The honorable mentions were others who received votes. For this, that includes those in the Top 30 for Tom,, Cody and I. Here are the votes for the players mentioned (in order mentioned in the article):

Balazovic: Seth (29), Tom (28), Cody (25)

Leach: Tom (27), Cody (28)

Stewart: Seth (26), Nick (16), Tom (23), Cody (22)

De Jong: Seth (27)

Arraez: Seth (22), Tom (25), Cody (21)

Blankenhorn: Seth (30), Tom (24)

Maciel: Seth (23), Cody (18)

Pearson: Cody (23)

T Wells: Seth (20), Nick (20), Tom (22), Cody (27)

Jax: Seth (25), Tom (26), Cody (29)

Urbina: Seth (17), Cody (16)

Raley: Seth (28), Tom (20)

• Mike Sixel and caninatl04 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kohl stewartjordan balazovic, jacob pearson, luke raley, luis arraez