Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Extension Time?

byron buxton miguel sano jose berrios kyle gibson eddie rosario
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

I’m all for Berrios being a Twins lifer. Rosario is a nice candidate for a big payday. Polanco has a good start going, let’s wait and see if it’s the PEDs or if he’s for real.
HUGE no on Buxton and Sano. These guys were demoted to the minors last year, and for good reason. Kepler is decidedly average and those aren’t the guys you give money. Gibson? I don’t know, I’m not a fan. I saw up thread someone compared an extension for him to the Hughes extension, and I’d have to agree with that.

Precisely what I think on all points.

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

Are there better free agents available?

Is the most important question to ask?

The real question needs to be: "do we invest in these guys long term?"

As of right now, I am only interested in extending Berrios and Rosario.The others need to show me more.  

#23 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

If it were my team, I would say to Berrios and Rosario and Polanco that they figure in loooooong term. I''d extend them 4 years with increasing pay. I would project a best case scenario and buy in.That sends a message down the line.

I'd say to Gibby, "Look you have proven yourself. Stay with us for 4 more years at market. And stay cool. Sorry about that arbitration thing."

Then I'd say to Buck and Miggie, "Look guys, everyone says youhave something to prove. But I am betting on you doing that. We have a 4 year window here. You are still young. Sign for 4 more yrears, and make good. Then go FA if you want to. By then you will have security and a track record for the big payday." 

I would extend Rogers for, you guessed it, 4 years. Then I'd look around for anyone else that wants to extend for 4 years. Maybe Nick, Tom, Seth... what do ya say guys?  

And for God's sake, give Jake Reed a chance. He was lights out at the end of last year. 

#24 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

If we decide to extend Kepler we should model his deal after the D-back’s extension of Ketel Marte in 2018.

#25 Dakota Diver

Dakota Diver

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:28 PM

The Twins have been paying Buxton major league salary to be one of the worst hitters in baseball! Also he’s been on the DL way to much which used up MLB time and the Twins have to eat it! I don’t think the Twins have treated him unfairly. Start producing and EARN a spot on the roster. At this point he hasn’t earned anything.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,834 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:46 PM

Is the most important question to ask?

The real question needs to be: "do we invest in these guys long term?"
As of right now, I am only interested in extending Berrios and Rosario.The others need to show me more.

That was in reply to a post about spending free agent money next year to get pitching..... If they don't sign Gibson, who are the pitchers next year?
  • Sconnie likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#27 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

That was in reply to a post about spending free agent money next year to get pitching..... If they don't sign Gibson, who are the pitchers next year?

Berrios, Mejia, Gonzo, Romero, Stewart, Littell, DeJong, Thorpe. It’s true, not a lot of mlb innings there. It’s not like Gibson or Odor are irreplaceable, or can’t be upgraded through FA or trade next offseason.
  • ChrisKnutson, ewen21 and Dakota Diver like this

#28 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 649 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:07 AM

Berrios, Mejia, Gonzo, Romero, Stewart, Littell, DeJong, Thorpe. It’s true, not a lot of mlb innings there. It’s not like Gibson or Odor are irreplaceable, or can’t be upgraded through FA or trade next offseason.

Gibson has been one of the top 10 pitchers in the American league the last 1 1/2, that isn't irreplaceable?

• sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#29 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

Presently the only one in this lot that makes obvious sense is Gibson. I would love to get Berrios, but if he takes another step forward this year his value would sky rocket, so I see his agent advising him to wait.But injury risk can be a little scary.As far as our fielders, probably only Rosario is trustable at this point.  

Edited by killertwinfan, 30 January 2019 - 07:27 AM.

#30 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:17 AM

Gibson has been one of the top 10 pitchers in the American league the last 1 1/2, that isn't irreplaceable?

We’re just gonna have to disagree on that.

#31 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

Berrios and Gibson for sure need an extention. Rosario deserves one too. I want to say Sano and Buxton but the reality is they need to earn it first or sign below market value deal which they shouldnt. Unless Kepler breaks out he will be replaced pretty soon here. Taylor Rogers could get an extention. May is a curoius case. Maybe a 2 year extention with an option.

#32 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

It might not easily be replaceable, but he’s 31 so it’s also not likely sustainable. This team is most likely going to lose the good Kyle Gibson to age if not free agency.
  • ashbury likes this

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

It might not easily be replaceable, but he’s 31 so it’s also not likely sustainable. This team is most likely going to lose the good Kyle Gibson to age if not free agency.

Of course....this all started with someone saying they can "easily" replace him FA next year if he leaves....

• Tomj14 and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#34 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:24 AM

Starting pitchers don't fall off a cliff at 32 like 2B. The risk with them isn't age so much as the nearly inevitable injuries. 

• The Wise One likes this

#35 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

I've read many state that we could QO Gibson after this season if we can't sign him to an extension. This year the QO was 17.9mil. I would guess it will be even more next season. Why would we pay Kyle 18mil or more if we are hardly even willing to pay him fair market value?

#36 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,605 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Of course....this all started with someone saying they can "easily" replace him FA next year if he leaves....

Well I’d think a 32-33 year old Kyle Gibson probably would be replaced by a Gio Gonzalez or Clay Buchholtz type.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Well I’d think a 32-33 year old Kyle Gibson probably would be replaced by a Gio Gonzalez or Clay Buchholtz type.

Neither of which is close to as good as him. Which is the point. I'd like actual good players here, not affordable ones.

• Cris E, Twins33, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#38 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,248 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

your 3-5th starters have a combined 20 (hyperbole I didn’t look it up) innings of MLB experience and number 2 appears to be a solid 4th-5th starter. If that’s the plan, might as well blow the whole darn thing up right now and start planning for ‘25/‘26
  • Mike Sixel and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#39 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

If this were part of the plan then 2020 and beyond would have no hope of us getting better either. Now if Kyle were replaced by a Gerrit Cole or a Zack Wheeler then we are making progress.

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#40 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

I'd offer Gibson 3yrs at $30-36M.Lance Lynn signed one of the few 3yr (30M) contracts this offseason.He had produced more than Gibson career-wise, but they are on opposite ends of the pendulum swing with Gibson being much better the past 1.5 yrs.The FA market has some talent available in Gerrit Cole and Chris Sale at the top, followed by Verlander (37yrs old), Bumgarner and Porcello.I'm not sure the Twins would be in on any of those.Zack Wheeler was a younger player (30) who should interest the Twins.Most of the FA starters are Gibson's age or older.

https://www.mlbtrade...ree-agents.html

Berrios is the only other one that interests me.He is the most likely bet to maintain his performance IMO.Get him to sign a five year contract to buy out this year, 3 years of arbitration and one year of FA.Might have to overpay a bit, but it would give him financial security and FA for his age 30 season. 

Sano and Buxton are a no at this point.Their range of possibilities is far to great to extend them.Talk to me again after the season. 

Rosario and Kepler both have issues.2nd half 2017 and 1st half 2018 Rosario is an All-Star, but second half he had a .622 OPS.I think he has plateaued.Kepler has the opposite problem, he is maddeningly consistent (3 yrs 95 or 96 OPS+ in a row) and hasn't taken the next step.I wouldn't extend either with Cave, Wade, Rooker, Kirilloff and Larnach all potential replacements. 

I would be interested in Polanco after this season if he can produce a full season at or near .800 OPS.I still think he ends up at 2B and would love to see one of Lewis, Javier or Gordon push him over there. 

• Mike Sixel and sweetmusicviola16 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: byron buxton, miguel sano, jose berrios, kyle gibson, eddie rosario