Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins actively discussing locking up parts of young core

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 767 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Why would we extend any of them? Rosario maybe. Berrios in another year.

Edited by Dr. Evil, 30 January 2019 - 09:28 PM.

• ewen21 likes this

#42 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

Why are we talking about seven guys?We want to be beholden to all of them?We believe all of them are worth it?

I would say Berrios and MAYBE Rosario.Other than that no way to all of them.As a few have pointed out, Sano and Buxton are not doing it after terrible years anyway.

Sorry, but I just don't get this burning need to extend a bunch of young players.  

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,522 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:24 AM

Why are we talking about seven guys? We want to be beholden to all of them? We believe all of them are worth it?

I would say Berrios and MAYBE Rosario. Other than that no way to all of them. As a few have pointed out, Sano and Buxton are not doing it after terrible years anyway.

Sorry, but I just don't get this burning need to extend a bunch of young players.

I'd bet a lot of money none are, so don't worry about seven.
  • Sconnie likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#44 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

Why would we extend any of them? Rosario maybe. Berrios in another year.

Because by doing so now you can potentially save a lot of money. If you believe in a player and they want to mitigate risk it can be good for both sides ex ante. 

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#45 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,522 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

I find it hard to believe anyone signs anyone, on any team, much between now and the next CBA......

• Steve Lein and Sconnie like this

#46 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

I'd bet a lot of money none are, so don't worry about seven.

I said I didn't understand all the talk this winter about extending guys.

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,522 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:51 PM

I said I didn't understand all the talk this winter about extending guys.

and i'm agreeing with you....

#48 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

A wise person once told me to judge people by their actions not their words. The next extension signed will be the first for the whiz kids

#49 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

Honestly,why would any of these guys sign an extension with a team that has shown no desire to win?

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#50 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

I was in on that conversation with Falvey. It was a good discussion, though obviously it would be of no benefit for him to name any names. He clearly looked like there had been discussions of extensions and they would keep the conversations open. 

I think Berrios would be the #1 target. I feel like talking to Buxton makes sense. I think that Rosario has matured to the point where they could have that conversation. I would talk to Kepler, but with Kirilloff around, it would probably be something on the Twins terms only (if I was the GM). I would consider talking to Taylor Rogers at this point. 

• Sconnie, nytwinsfan and MN_ExPat like this

#51 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

Because by doing so now you can potentially save a lot of money. If you believe in a player and they want to mitigate risk it can be good for both sides ex ante.

Agreed. As an example, I had hoped the Twins would sign Mauer to an extension after his age 25 season, in which he won his second batting title. Instead, he won the MVP, and became much more expensive. I bet they could have signed him for 7/140, which would have been a LOT better, for several reasons.
  • nytwinsfan likes this

#52 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:38 PM

To sign a young player to an extension it really makes no sense for the player unless 1) you do it early, or 2) you sign him later when a player realizes maybe he isn't as great as he thought he was.

Berrios is the guy I would most likely take a risk on right now. There is absolutely no reason to lock up Buxton unless you believe giving him money will make him play better. It needs to make sense to the player if you're going to pitch him this idea. It's almost insulting at this point approach Buxton when he is at his weakest from a negotiating standpoint. Why in the heck would he or Sano take an offer now? Talking about extending those two, Kepler or Polanco makes no sense.

It's honestly two-dimensional thinking to even pursue these players-- ESCPECIALLY Buxton. Essentiailly it is a move to capitalize on his moment of weakness. There isn't anything clever about it

#53 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:10 PM

Well, of course they are talking about it. I'm sure this is one thing they talk about all the time, so doing it should not be that much more effort from talking about it, right?

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#54 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:35 PM

Well, of course they are talking about it. I'm sure this is one thing they talk about all the time, so doing it should not be that much more effort from talking about it, right?

there is that “agreement” thing that gets a bit tricky when money becomes involved.

#55 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:56 PM

One thing to keep in mind - just because you sign a player to a multi-year extension doesn't necessarily mean you're also trying to buy out some of their free agent years.In some cases, that may be true.But probably more important is getting some cost certainty for the club into the future, especially during the arbitration years.Believe Whit Merrifield just signed a multi-year deal with the Royals that just takes him right up to free agency.

No wonder his deal was so team friendly. $16,500,000 for 4 yearsto sign a good fielding 2B who led the league in hits and SB. I had not realized the Royals only bought out his arbitration years.

#56 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:06 AM

No wonder his deal was so team friendly. $16,500,000 for 4 years to sign a good fielding 2B who led the league in hits and SB. I had not realized the Royals only bought out his arbitration years.

That poster wasn't quite correct -- the Royals did get a team option for Merrified's first FA year in that deal.

Of course, because of his late start, that first FA year won't come until Merrifield is already 34 years old, so it's not much of a template for the Twins right now.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and MN_ExPat like this

#57 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:01 AM

That poster wasn't quite correct -- the Royals did get a team option for Merrified's first FA year in that deal.

Of course, because of his late start, that first FA year won't come until Merrifield is already 34 years old, so it's not much of a template for the Twins right now.

Merrifield lives in the county next to my county in North Carolina and is a friend of my son-in-law, who was amazed at Merrifield's "huge" deal. I thought Marrifield could have gotten more money. I haven't heard back from my son-in-law since I texted him that.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,657 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:56 AM

I thought Marrifield could have gotten more money.

The Royals had a lot of leverage, though. Merrifield is already 30, and wasn't even arbitration eligible -- I imagine he felt it was too risky to wait for an even bigger payday. Injury or under-performance could quickly tank his career earnings at that age, as compared to a young guy like Schoop.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#59 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

I was in on that conversation with Falvey. It was a good discussion, though obviously it would be of no benefit for him to name any names. He clearly looked like there had been discussions of extensions and they would keep the conversations open.

I think Berrios would be the #1 target. I feel like talking to Buxton makes sense. I think that Rosario has matured to the point where they could have that conversation. I would talk to Kepler, but with Kirilloff around, it would probably be something on the Twins terms only (if I was the GM). I would consider talking to Taylor Rogers at this point.

So if 2 seasons in a row we've failed to lock up this supposed core... and if they've underperformed for the most part... should we at least be considering other options? Like say... sign a young star FA for (gasp) more than 1 season. And maybe trade some guys you a)won't extend, or B) might not want to extend. Then make a run with the others taking advantage of their rookie deals while they're still Twins. Thoughts?

Edited by Jham, 11 February 2019 - 02:01 PM.

• nytwinsfan likes this