Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Overheard: Hall of Fame Jose, Falvey on the State of the Twins and More

jose berrios brusdar graterol derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 10,058 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

This does not describe Falvey. Might you be misconstruing prudent decisions with fear? With a lack of will to compete? I call bull, my friend. :)

It does not describe Falvey the person, but in my opinion it describes Twins baseball operations to a T.

Example: Here's where "fear of failure" resonates with me: being 7 games out of first on July 27, at a critical moment when your team might be starting to gel, and then deciding to be sellers and trading your players instead. Would the Twins have overtaken Cleveland? Possible, but not likely. But possible. Fear of failing to catch Cleveland and not getting anything in return for guys entering free agency. Not everyone agrees that trading those guys was bad. I understand that. By the way, Milwaukee was 6 games out of first on August 28. That ground can be made up.

Cruz was a great signing, the others maybe prudent, maybe not. We will have to watch and see. :)

#42 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

It does not describe Falvey the person, but in my opinion it describes Twins baseball operations to a T.

Example: Here's where "fear of failure" resonates with me: being 7 games out of first on July 27, at a critical moment when your team might be starting to gel, and then deciding to be sellers and trading your players instead. Would the Twins have overtaken Cleveland? Possible, but not likely. But possible. Fear of failing to catch Cleveland and not getting anything in return for guys entering free agency. Not everyone agrees that trading those guys was bad. I understand that. By the way, Milwaukee was 6 games out of first on August 28. That ground can be made up.

Cruz was a great signing, the others maybe prudent, maybe not. We will have to watch and see. :)

I might think accusing them of hubris and getting cute with their calculations. But not fear. I disagreed with the tactic too.

#43 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

TOM FROEMMING, thank you for your response to my post. I am always interested in how the Twins view their own prospects. In general the FO gives us the platitudes you mimicked so well in your post. I figure the reason sometimes, that the FO doesn't do the things we as fans would like to see, is that they have very different views of their prospects than we as fans do. Even probably what prospect gurus have.

Occasionally we get clues to what the FO might be thinking. How prospects are promoted, who is invited to spring training, certain things that aren't said about prospects. I think we have a pretty good idea about what the FO thinks about about their young major league players and even their near ready position players.

I am very unsure about what they really think about guys like Gonsalves, Stewart, Littell, and Wells. They seem to like Romero, but if they really are moving him to the bullpen, what does that tell us? All the starters in the system farther away, we hardly ever get anything but platitudes about them.

The thing is, what they think about these guys is pretty important. They aren't going to spend big bucks on a long term contract for a Kuechal, if they think they got one or two near ready in their system. There are a lot of reasons for them to not disclose their evaluations about their prospects, but i sure would like to know more.

Yes, it would be nice to be a fly on the wall and in particular hear what they think about Gonsalves, Romero, Stewart, and Thorpe in particular, and to know if they possibly have a higher opinion, like the pundits do, of De Jong and to a lesser degree Littell, than what most commenters on TD have.

They must believe that one or more of those first four have a chance to be impactful future mainstays. I just don't buy all this silliness that the only reason they don't sign Keuchel or somebody is because they're cheap, or they're afraid to fail, or that they don't want to win. I buy that they have a different and higher opinion about some of the internal options than most fans do.

#44 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Technically I agree with you. He did answer, but he didn't really say much more than we might get lucky.For a front office to start the season with such low aspirations is tantamount to saying nothing.  

I guess I see it very differently. He does not agree with you. Or me. But he didn't sidestep the questions.

#45 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

Citing the Oakland A's as a bullpen strategy is curious.A quick glance at how those players were acquired indicates the Twins don't actually understand it.

Trienen was a buy-low trade acquisition who had a lot of hype in the past.The Twins have no such player.  

Also, the Yasmani Grandal offer indicates this team has money it could spend, but is choosing not to.

• Jham likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, brusdar graterol, derek falvey