Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: ESPN Report: Twins Could Be Mystery Team for Harper, Machado

bryce harper manny machado joe mauer buster olney
  • Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,779 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

I've lost a little of my reverence for Olney after this one.

I'll wait to say that when Machado signs with another team, because ... well ... I suppose it's possible ...

Sigh.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#22 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

Harper, 3/115
Machado, 3/115
Keuchel, 3/60
Kimbrel, 3/60
Opt outs after the 2nd year for everyone

Let’s go win a WS!!!
  • Cris E, scottz, h2oface and 1 other like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:15 AM

The evidence for signing an expensive player is that the team hasn't spent money? I, um, hmmmm.
  • scottz, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

This is clearly speculation. But think about it ...

The Twins have a ton of payroll flexibility not just this year but next year in particular.

Last year they waited until the end of the free agency period before pouncing on a couple of players.

Both of these are the types of guys you'd want in free agency -- they are still young, meaning they are more likely to be relatively strong players during the latter part of the contract. Machado is only a year older than Byron Buxton.

It's not as far-fetched as you might think. I doubt they do this, of course. But there's plenty of money this year and even more in future years. 

Comparing Buxton to both Harper and Machado puts it into perspective just how disappointing Buxton has been. Obviously he is not being written off anytime soon but his career compared to both of their's is pathetic to say the least.

• Oldgoat_MN and Original Whizzinator like this

#25 Yossarian

Yossarian

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Ahhhhh,..., no.

#26 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

I'd love for us to be in on either player, but it feels like the mentions of us being a mystery team are the sort of thing an agent would do to try and stir the market, not because they have any intention of ever signing their player with us. They want us to be a stalking horse for a bigger market and try and push the Chicago/NY/LA's of the world to make the bigger offer.

Basically, not seeing this matter.

• SQUIRREL, 70charger, spycake and 1 other like this

#27 Loops

Loops

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

For one I find it hard to believe the Twins would go after either one.For two I would have a difficult time if they signed Machado.While he may be a very good player, I do not like the attitude and bush league play.Watching some of the things he did last year and the attitude afterwards when questioned about them was disgusting.I hope the Twins do not sign someone like that.

#28 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

I agree with Thrylos, this is Olney speculating that the Twins COULD do this, rather than an indication they ARE a team negotiating.

So what I take from this is more ammo for my belief the Twins have the financial means to do deals like this.
  • SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, joebush44 and 8 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

There's always a mystery team. The mystery team always has 'great payroll flexibility'. Weird, right?

Has the mystery team ever signed a player? I guess there's a first time for everything.

• howieramone2, SF Twins Fan, bobs and 1 other like this

#30 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,946 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

Jim Pohlad sitting at his desk. I can make $50mm with the payroll at $100 or we can sign Machado and I can make $20mm.

What do we do? …

Does anyone think that the Pohlad's first think how good the team will be before they think how much money can we make?

• gunnarthor, Sconnie, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#31 jtkoupal

jtkoupal

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

I would poop my pants if the Twins sign one of these guys. The money is absolutely there, but a long-term investment, and a very expensive one at that, seems highly unlikely for this organization. I sincerely doubt that this will happen, but we can always dream, right?

For the record, if we do, by some miracle, sign one of these guys, the Twins are winning the AL Central in 2019. Book it. Screenshot this and show me in September. If the Twins sign Harper or Machado, the Twins will win the AL Central in 2019.

• Original Whizzinator likes this

#32 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,090 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

If the Twins had good owners, we'd be on Machado. No doubt. He's such a perfect fit here it hurts. 

Speaking of hurting, do you think that having their highest paid player not give 100% every time and publicly admitting it and justifying it will help or hurt the attitude and development of the Twins' young core?

Is that who you want to be their role model?

Edited by Thrylos, 23 January 2019 - 10:50 AM.

• joebush44, brvama, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#33 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

'Buster - nothing is happening in the free agent market.Can you write something speculative and borderline provocative to drum up some clicks?'  

• Cris E, nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

#34 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,826 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

Speaking of hurting, do you think that having their highest paid player not give 100% every time and publicly admitting it and justifying it will help or hurt the attitude and development of the Twins' young core?

Is that who you want to be their role model?

The character questions/concerns about Machado are BS. I'd love to have this guy on the team. I think he'd take pressure off of our younger guys. I think he and Cruz would help Sano and Buxton reach their ceilings. I think signing him tells the team that the FO and owners are backing this group of players.

The last few years our highest paid player was Mauer. Enough said.

• SQUIRREL and howieramone2 like this

#35 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

I don't believe this propaganda. As mentioned above, it's probably an agent or agents stirring the pot. Falvine's entire long-term strategy depends on avoiding a Mauer-type contract and maintaining short-and-midrange flexibility. We all saw what happened to Joe, who was well worth the contract when he signed it. Of course, Harpado aren't catchers, where the danger is higher of career-changing injury, but too many variables in a single player's ability to contribute at pre-contract stats after the money's been exchanged. Besides, I see the Twins competing without such a coup.

• Marcusesm likes this

#36 bobs

bobs

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Derek Wetmore would say there's a "non-zero chance" this happens.But the percentage is somewhere between 0 and 1!

#37 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

If only one of them were Korean...

The Twins don't make moves like this. The Twins throw crazy money at dubious retread pitchers coming off TJ surgery, not perennial all-stars at the peak of their careers. 

• Mike Sixel, h2oface, chpettit19 and 4 others like this

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#38 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

Submitting to Common Man's PST Tournament

• USAFChief, scottz, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#39 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

I would poop my pants if the Twins sign one of these guys. The money is absolutely there, but a long-term investment, and a very expensive one at that, seems highly unlikely for this organization. I sincerely doubt that this will happen, but we can always dream, right?

For the record, if we do, by some miracle, sign one of these guys, the Twins are winning the AL Central in 2019. Book it. Screenshot this and show me in September. If the Twins sign Harper or Machado, the Twins will win the AL Central in 2019.

I'm going to screenshot this and show you after we sign one of them. You better have evidence that you pooped your pants, or I'll call you out as a charlatan and a liar.

• SQUIRREL, Twins33, 70charger and 4 others like this

#40 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• Twins Mods
  • 24,742 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

I'm going to screenshot this and show you after we sign one of them. You better have evidence that you pooped your pants, or I'll call you out as a charlatan and a liar.

mod note: we'll accept verbal confirmation. Link/pic not necessary.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, Blake and 15 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bryce harper, manny machado, joe mauer, buster olney