Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

To: Season Ticket Holders

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

Did you renew your season tickets from last year?

If you renewed, did the Twins raise the price? Keep it the same? Or, try not to laugh, discount from last year?

I get the feeling it's a very tough year to sell the Twins to fans. Just curious if they recognize the apathy and changing course? Or if they have their heads in the sand saying sorry, new year higher price!

#2 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

My tickets were the same price as last year. At least dollar-wise.

Where they're getting you is the continued erosion of benefits. I get the "why" in most cases (i.e. creating Bat & Barrel out of the Metropolitan Club and allowing everyone in) but the perks that are taken away typically don't get replaced with anything. So the value of being a season ticket holder has been reduced considerably since I originally got them in 2005. With prices increasing on concessions every year, we simply quit spending money there unless we don't really have a chance to stop elsewhere. With a decade of mediocrity, I stopped picking up as many extra games. I really don't care much about the giveaways, but even there the most sought after giveaways are pushed to special ticket packages so if you want them, you can either buy a Giveaway Package before the season (without knowing what will be included and only includes selected giveaways) or buy the ticket package.

I still have my tickets because I really love baseball and it's a perfect reason to get outside and relax, but even for me it's getting harder and harder each year to renew. Their strategies lean towards squeezing every last ounce of blood out of the turnip rather than retaining customers. So I'm not convinced that they recognize the apathy at all to be honest. If they do, they certainly haven't adjusted to it in my view.

• USAFChief, lecroy24fan, scottz and 10 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#3 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Agree with wsnydes. My prices havent gone up since last year, but certainly the other perks have been eroded away. Again, I get why Met club was replaced, but there was nothing to replace it. I was on the Season Ticket Holder advisory board when they announced no more hard paper tickets for STH. There was outrage, and most of the time was spend brainstorming ideas for different things to do send to us instead of the hard tickets that come before the season, because they know how people enjoy that feeling when we see the box come (think about that scene in Fever Pitch). 

Anyway, we came up with different physical things to mail, or experiences, or anything that they could do to compensate for losing that experience of getting the tickets. Then at the last meeting of our rotation, we were told we were getting nothing because "it wasnt in the budget". That didnt sit well with a lot of people, me included. 

Along with what Wsyndes said, I know STH used to get all the bobbleheads for the season automatically, but now we get the "opportunity" to pay more to get different giveaways. We used to get a day when you could go on the field near the end of the season and take photos (which we always used for our Xmas cards), but even that hasnt happened for 2-3 years.

For a year or two, when I would renew, I would get something in the mail from my rep saying thanks and a signed ball (I got Berrios and Perkins), but then I got the same letter along with one of the kid's giveaway jerseys, then this year, just the letter. 

Just FYI, Im not complaining about these, just giving examples of the erosion. 

Having Twins season tickets have been one of 3 lifelong goals/dreams Ive had. I dont have any plans of not renewing. I do it because I love baseball and sitting at the ballpark, not for the perks. 

I think as attendance levels factor in less and less into their revenue stream, and corporations buy the suites and high priced season tickets, they will continue to pinch pennies with less regard for the "average" fan.

• 70charger, TheLeviathan, Sconnie and 7 others like this

#4 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

I watch or listen to almost every game but I am following from the west coast.

Thanks and appreciate to all season ticket holders. We need a badge or some identifier for you. Your words in these discussions should carry much more weight than mine. I do nothing to specifically support the Twins.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief, dbminn and 2 others like this

#5 Mike Amundsen

Mike Amundsen

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

With the Twins running a 19% off face value for March - April - May games, how do season ticket holders feel? What is your season ticket price equal to in discount?

#6 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:25 PM

With the Twins running a 19% off face value for March - April - May games, how do season ticket holders feel? What is your season ticket price equal to in discount?

We actually had a presale with the same discount, so I don't really see that as a big deal. I didn't partake, so I'm not sure if we got an additional 19% off of the already discounted value or not. We typically have a small window to get regular season games at a discounted rate before they go on sale to the general public.

My understanding of how our package seats are priced is that they're priced at a flat rate rather than the weighted variable pricing. I think that's kind of semantics though since each ticket still has a value attached to it when it comes to exchanging them. We can exchange tickets mostly without restriction, but if we chose a more expensive tiered game or seating then we have to pay the difference. However if we choose a cheaper game or seat, we lose what's left over in value.

I've not done the math on how much the discount really is, but I believe that it varies with the ticket package and where you get your seats. It's not insignificant.

Edited by wsnydes, 21 January 2019 - 02:26 PM.

#7 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

I was told that because our seats are already cheaper per game than individual seats, and we dont pay fees, the 19% off is still more expensive that our seats. I havent done the math, but I felt like that is a BS answer, because all that means is the mark up on individual tickets is huge. 

#8 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

I've been paying ($58x2) x 81 =$9,396/year since 2010 for two seats in the Legends Club, now called Delta Club.

What others are saying about erosion of value is spot on. The easiest example in the Club section is the dramatic cutting back of in-seat wait staff, which was originally one of the perks that made you feel special for being in LC, and even though I rarely used it, it was a nice perk for times I wanted it. 

The expansion of ticket switches is a positive, in that we can do unlimited switching, but the need to keep them within the same defined value range or lower is a pain in the ass that is unnecessary.

The STH advisory board is pretty much a joke and just a way of making a select percentage of the people that pay a bunch of money every year feel special. I'm on it this year and it has been underwhelming at best. It's ridiculously hyper limited in the willingness to take input, and the sad truth is that when you get 100 people in a room, they all value different things.

I for one couldn't give two sh!ts about being able to meet a 26 year old athlete in person, but to some people that's a big deal. In my case, I'd rather have a chance for my kid to be a part of something, but I could see why ten years ago I thought that was ridiculous.

At the end of the day, it should be treated like a golf membership or boat club membership, because it's an expense, not an investment.

• nicksaviking and Respy like this

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

and the sad truth is that when you get 100 people in a room, they all value different things.

Just curious why you view this as a negative. It's life. It's a reason why the front office's job isn't as straightforward as we would all hope. And if you respond to this diversity of opinion by withdrawing, your 101st opinion doesn't get registered.

Though, I mostly agree, an advisory board of high-revenue customers is mostly eyewash.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#10 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

Interesting to see the comments about the Advisory Board. I've thought on many occasions about getting involved, but it always boiled down to not having the time. I've always wondered if it was more lip service than being something the organization would take anything from. The comments seem to reflect what I was worried about. Unfortunate really. That could be a pretty good tool for them to better the overall experience. 

#11 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

The only good thing that came from the advisory board was at the end as a "thank you" we got a poster of the last out/celebration of the '87 Series (acutally) signed by Oliva, Blyleven, Laudner, Newman, Hrbek, Berenguer, and TK.That was cool. but yeah, otherwise, it was a way for them to gauge the mood for moves they were going to make regardless, rather than use input to change decisions. 

• Doomtints and wsnydes like this

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

Just curious why you view this as a negative. It's life. It's a reason why the front office's job isn't as straightforward as we would all hope. And if you respond to this diversity of opinion by withdrawing, your 101st opinion doesn't get registered.

Though, I mostly agree, an advisory board of high-revenue customers is mostly eyewash.

Seems to me if the 100 have different priorities, it would be much easier for the Twins to say "Well sorry you can't come to a consensus, now you get nothing."

100 sounds like a large focus group, likely by design. More people get to feel like their voices are heard, but the Twins can justify the cheapest suggestions even if only a minority support them.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#13 wsnydes

wsnydes

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:48 AM

Seems to me if the 100 have different priorities, it would be much easier for the Twins to say "Well sorry you can't come to a consensus, now you get nothing."

nothing170125.jpg

• ashburyjohn and nicksaviking like this

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:19 AM

nothing170125.jpg

2rre24.jpg

/ I left out the TC logo so there will be no misunderstanding.

// My layout skillz suck

/// So maybe I'd better spell out the joke: How-we-baseball-300x300.jpg

• Puckett34, nicksaviking, drbob524 and 1 other like this

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

Is it too late to get that (with the TC logo) on t-shirts for the Winter Meltdown?

• ashburyjohn, drbob524, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#16 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:30 PM

The point is that there is no time for meaningful conversation about anyones priorities or issues, because you can't engage in 100 meaningful conversations.

When one person chooses to spend five minutes ranting about not getting to visit with the players in person like she did at the dome, the rest of the room is eye rolling.

When I say they need to improve their scoreboards, who cares, it's a pet issue.

At the end of the day, anything they don't want to address is "out of our hands because we are just a franchise of MLB".

• ashburyjohn likes this

#17 jctwins

jctwins

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Interesting that today we received an e-mail we are receiving an MLB TV subscription this year with the tickets. Not a huge take, but something of real value that I've been spending money on each year.

• drbob524 likes this

#18 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

Interesting that today we received an e-mail we are receiving an MLB TV subscription this year with the tickets. Not a huge take, but something of real value that I've been spending money on each year.

And 15% off the online store. where it used to be only 10% at TF. so again, nothing huge, but they did add something

#19 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:56 PM

And 15% off the online store. where it used to be only 10% at TF. so again, nothing huge, but they did add something

Would you happen to know if those perks are only for the full 81 game package. Or might they be available for one of the lesser packages?

#20 drbob524

drbob524

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

Would you happen to know if those perks are only for the full 81 game package. Or might they be available for one of the lesser packages?

I have a 40 game package, and get it. I think most of the perks (not sure about this stuff) is with any plan, including Flex plan.