Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Hildenberger Preparing for Another Heavy Workload

trevor hildenberger jerermy hefner
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:36 AM

I feel that Hildenberger is just another example of a young dude with a live arm who would have benefitted from the experience of having someone like Rodney around. The feeling is that he has closer stuff. Having a veteran closer around him would be so clutch same as it would for Rodgers, Moya, Magill, and even Reed. Its too bad the genius Falvine's dropped the ball AGAIN.

#22 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

I feel that Hildenberger is just another example of a young dude with a live arm who would have benefitted from the experience of having someone like Rodney around. The feeling is that he has closer stuff. Having a veteran closer around him would be so clutch same as it would for Rodgers, Moya, Magill, and even Reed. Its too bad the genius Falvine's dropped the ball AGAIN.

Rodney was around for most of the season. Trevor's ERA was 4.50 when Rodney got traded; he had had 3 consecutive bad games, so apparently Rodney wan't able to nip that in the bud while he was still there.

Teams have coaches, for the purposes you described. Veteran leadership on the roster is useful but a bit overrated.

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 13,739 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

I was happy for a new manager and I didn't like Molitor's bullpen usage, but I struggled to completely blame him since there never seemed to be more than two relievers at a time who showed any semblance of reliability. 

I'll be really interested to see what Baldelli does if say, only May and Rogers are pitching well. Will he resist what Molitor did and give the ball to guys who've been getting shelled to spread around the burden or still go back to the only two he can count on, until they wear down and can no longer be counted on?

So far based on free agency, it doesn't look like the front office saw the actual bullpen pitchers as an issue last year. I think they're wrong, but maybe they thought something or someone else was at fault. Hope they're right, though I don't think so.

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:31 PM

I don’t think anyone thinks that Hildenberger is anything but a solid middle reliever. No one thinks he’s a closer or even an elite level set up man.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#25 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

Frankly, Hildenberger isn't yet even a solid middle reliever. He can get to that status with a good year this year, but the second half last year raises questions about whether he was overworked, hurt, or the league just figured him out. I'll think he'll be ok as a middle reliever/7th inning kind of guy. He is not a closer.  

#26 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

Rodney was around for most of the season. Trevor's ERA was 4.50 when Rodney got traded; he had had 3 consecutive bad games, so apparently Rodney wan't able to nip that in the bud while he was still there.

Teams have coaches, for the purposes you described. Veteran leadership on the roster is useful but a bit overrated.

yeah you're right. my bad. sorry.

#27 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

Hilde's change up is almost unhittable when he's on. Very few pitchers have a pitch like that. I'd give up on the adding new pitches and deliveries, and work on placement and rest. His MiLB record and MLB success suggests closer upside. We screwed up Duffey having him develop another pitch. How about throw your good pitches more often, to start.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, jerermy hefner