Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Making a Machado Bid

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

For the second year in a row, the free agent market has been slower than molasses in January. Big name free agents like Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, and Dallas Keuchel remain unsigned. Spring training is looming on the horizon and these high caliber players are going to need to sign somewhere.

So, let’s imagine a world where the Twins could make a bid for Manny Machado.On Tuesday, ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that the White Sox offer to Machado was for $175 million over seven years. From the rest of Olney’s tweet, it sounds like Chicago is hoping the market continues to be cold and Machado will eventually agree to their terms. This was a similar situation to the one faced by JD Martinez last year before he eventually signed with Boston.

Machado has reached free agency and he is only a year older than Byron Buxton. In the time Buxton has been trying to emerge at the big-league level, Machado has won two Gold Gloves and been selected to four All-Star Games. He’s also finished in the top 10 for MVP voting three times including two top five finishes. Also, he’s mashed 30 or more home runs for four straight seasons.

Looking into Minnesota’s future, the club has almost no guaranteed money moving beyond the 2019 season. Younger players will continue to become more expensive through the arbitration process and the organization could look to sign some of the young core to a long-term deal.

With Minnesota’s financial flexibility, there is room to add a player of Machado’s caliber. It seems like it would be easy for a club to top the offer on the table from the White Sox. Adding Machado to Minnesota could limit the club’s ability to sign the likes of Miguel Sano or Byron Buxton in the years to come. However, they both have a lot still to prove at the big-league level.

How’s this for an Opening Day line-up?
1. Jorge Polanco- 2B
2. Manny Machado- SS
3. Miguel Sano- 3B
4. Nelson Cruz- DH
5. Eddie Rosario- LF
6. CJ Cron- 1B
7. Max Kepler- RF
8. Jason Castro- C
9. Byron Buxton- CF

Signing Machado might be a pipe dream, but he’d certainly look better in a Twins uniform than roaming the infield for the South Siders. Chicago is an emerging team in the AL Central and Minnesota is going to be contending with them for the next half a decade.

Wouldn’t it be sweet to steal their prized free agent? Let’s dream about that.

Leave a COMMENT and start the discussion. Would signing Machado make sense for the Twins?

Click here to view the article
  • gunnarthor, Sconnie and howieramone2 like this

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#2 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:39 PM

Ripping off the ChiSox appeals to me. But I don’t like Manny.
  • Thrylos, joebush44, djvang and 2 others like this

#3 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

Does signing Machado fit the Falvine vision? It doesn't to be a match. That sure would be fun though to watch Machado with a TC on the cap mashing in Target Field.

#4 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

We have no money guaranteed next year (Cruz's minuscule buyout) and we are not in on Harper or Machado and that is really depressing. If not now, when?

• theJemmer, Minny505, bighat and 2 others like this

#5 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

But but he would block Gordon and we might not have the money to pay our guys if they ever get close to as good as he is.

• Twins33, adorduan, Rigby and 4 others like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,881 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Can he pitch?

• Blake, Cris E, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

I am not so worried about blocking Gordon, but I am worried about blocking Lewis and Javier along with Polonco.Do not see it happening and would rather have Harper and move Kepler to 1st. 

• Cris E likes this

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

Offer him a deal, even a one year deal.You will get value out of it, even at 30M.

• Twins33 likes this

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

I'm all in on Machado. A big contact takes him through his prime years. Once Lewis is ready move Machado to third and Sano to first. If Javier is pushing to be in the bigs you trade him for a starting pitcher. Guys like this, as young as he is don't come available too often. Pull the trigger and this team is instantly better. Depending on how the year goes, a trade for an Ace at the deadline could be a difference maker.
  • Carole Keller, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 7 others like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

I'd keep Polanco at SS, move Machado to 3rd, move Sano to 1st and leave Schoop at 2nd.  Cron can either be a bench bat or released.

From what I remember Machado's defense isn't great at SS and would probably be very good at 3rd.

• Twins33, PseudoSABR and blindeke like this

#11 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 567 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Can he pitch?

Can't the Twins add both?

• Sconnie likes this

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

I'd keep Polanco at SS, move Machado to 3rd, move Sano to 1st and leave Schoop at 2nd.  Cron can either be a bench bat or released.

From what I remember Machado's defense isn't great at SS and would probably be very good at 3rd.

Isn't part of the deal with Machado that he wants to play SS?

• Danchat and Minny505 like this

#13 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

Isn't part of the deal with Machado that he wants to play SS?

Correct. And that's likely one of the reasons why less teams are interested in him.
  • blindeke likes this

#14 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

I think we can atleast make an offer to drive up his price. 8 or 9 years with up to 250 million with opt outs...
  • 70charger likes this

#15 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

Also i agree with SF Twins Fan. Keep Polanco at SS, Sano to 1B, Machado at 3B, Schoop at 2B.
  • GP830 likes this

#16 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,531 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:58 PM

I am not so worried about blocking Gordon, but I am worried about blocking Lewis and Javier along with Polonco. Do not see it happening and would rather have Harper and move Kepler to 1st.

Why are you worried about blocking at all? Machado can/should play third. (And Sano can/should play first, at some point.) Plenty of room for him and whatever prospects emerge over the next few years.

Harper worries me a bit more. His K rate spiked to 24% last year, which isn't bad, but it isn't good either, and the Twins don't necessarily have a good recent track record of controlling K's. Plus he's just a corner outfielder -- he has to hit more than Machado to equal his value --- and to his credit, Harper has hit more than Machado over his career, but it's something that would worry me about a long term deal. I think the back half of a Machado contract could have more usefulness / trade value than the back half of Harper's, just based on position alone.
  • Carole Keller and Minny505 like this

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,268 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

There will never be a better opportunity to add a player of this caliber. Do it.
  • Carole Keller, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 15 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#18 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

Offer him a deal, even a one year deal.You will get value out of it, even at 30M.

This organization loves "value," and short term deals; it's a match made in heaven. 

Plus when he rejects the offer we can all shrug and say "they tried, what more could they do...."

• TheLeviathan likes this

#19 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

3/100 with an opt out after the 2nd year and NTC. This allows him to try for a mega deal while he’s still in his prime. Twins can ship him for prospects or hit him with a QO. Most likely Falvine will offer 1/20 though.
Don’t really want him on the team but that’s the deal I would offer.
  • Steve Lein and Minny505 like this

#20 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,886 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

Yes, please.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern