Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins Trade Curtiss to Angels for Daniel Ozoria

john curtiss
  • Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,694 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

Again, I'd have kept Curtiss instead of say Duffey... 

On the flip side, I"m glad they got somethign for him. This is, as others pointed out, a lotto ticket. Maybe when he beefs up the bat improves with it and he's a starting SS.. who knows. I'm not holding out hope for that though.

• Oldgoat_MN and Danchat like this

#22 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,139 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

The Twins announced tonight that they've acquired minor-league infielder Daniel Ozoria from the Angels in exchange for RHP John Curtiss, who was DFA'ed to make room on the roster for Blake Parker.

Ozoria is an 18-year-old infielder who is listed at 5'9" and an almost impossibly tiny 135 lbs. He has a .222/.293/.263 line in around 500 rookie-league at-bats but the Twins are obviously hoping he gets bigger and stronger. Here's a Baseball America report from when he signed for $125K back in 2016:

Definitely a lotto ticket, but nice to at least get that for Curtiss as opposed to nothing. Curtiss joins J.T. Chargois as promising Twins relievers lost to LA in roster crunches over the past year.

You used "roster crunches" and "Twins" in the same sentence? The question is, after watching the Twins BP for the past several years, why the crunch. What possibly could have been lost by an extended evaluation of some of these crunched relievers? As for Orzoria, when I saw the Strib's online pic, said to myself, "please, I hope it's not the little guy in the middle" :).
  • Rigby likes this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#23 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 456 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:49 AM

Per MLBTR this morning...

"The Twins have signed right-hander Jeff Ames to a minor league contract, MLBTR has learned. Ames, 28 at the end of the month, hasn’t cracked the big leagues and had mixed results between Double-A and Triple-A with the Brewers and Nats last season. He’s averaged better than 11 strikeouts per nine innings pitched across the past two seasons but has also averaged more than five walks per nine in that time.

Ames has a 4.50 ERA in 64 career innings at the Triple-A level and a 2.66 ERA in 125 frames of Double-A ball. Though he’s been an extreme fly-ball pitcher throughout his minor league career, Ames hasn’t struggled with home runs much outside of the 2018 campaign, when he surrendered six big flies in 38 total innings of relief (1.42 HR/9)."

#24 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,551 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:55 AM

We all should disregard the 135#.That was per the article when he was signed right after his 16th birthday, two years ago.Don't know what he is today, but is likely more than 135.

We all knew the Twins would be in a roster crunch.Everyone wants them to sign at least two relievers.Well, the roster is full at 40, so someone has to go.Agree with Seth and others that Curtiss didn't get a good look.However, every time I saw him pitch (on tv) it wasn't good.No surprise that he is the first to go.If they get another better late reliever, someone else will need to go.Maybe we all should stop grinding our teeth over it, eh?

• Major League Ready, howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#25 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,286 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:12 AM

Per MLBTR this morning...

"The Twins have signed right-hander Jeff Ames to a minor league contract, MLBTR has learned. Ames, 28 at the end of the month, hasn’t cracked the big leagues and had mixed results between Double-A and Triple-A with the Brewers and Nats last season. He’s averaged better than 11 strikeouts per nine innings pitched across the past two seasons but has also averaged more than five walks per nine in that time.

Ames has a 4.50 ERA in 64 career innings at the Triple-A level and a 2.66 ERA in 125 frames of Double-A ball. Though he’s been an extreme fly-ball pitcher throughout his minor league career, Ames hasn’t struggled with home runs much outside of the 2018 campaign, when he surrendered six big flies in 38 total innings of relief (1.42 HR/9)."

I'd rather have Curtiss than Ames. What gives?

• Dman likes this

#26 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 180 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

The Jeff Ames signing is interesting. Kind of a replacement for Curtiss. A 2011 1st round draft pick from Tampa Bay, so maybe Rocco knows this kid and his potential (yeah I know he's 27, but he's a lot younger than me so he's a kid). If they can get his walk rate down, might be useful.

Also, thinking about the starting rotation.I have to admit I like Berrios, Gibson, Pineda, Odorizzi and Mejia. I'm also thinking Trevor May for crunch time/closer. Rogers, Reed, Hildenberger, Parker & Moya and a long reliever/spot starter TBD. Maybe they sign Keuchel and all our heads explode.

C'mon spring training.

Edited by AceWrigley, 16 January 2019 - 08:13 AM.

• tarheeltwinsfan, MN_ExPat and Doctor Wu like this

#27 Tomj14

Tomj14

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 934 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

This is what happens when you hoard average to above average prospects.

You lose them before really knowing what you have.

In 2017, maybe they get something good from the assortment of these pitchers.

.Melotakis, Chargois,Rosario, Curtiss, Slegers, Jorge, Burdi and Bard

• Mike Sixel and blindeke like this

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,286 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:16 AM

So a 26yo fireballing RP with quality SO numbers but some control issues is not only not worth even a single extended shot, but is in so little demand when available, DFA or not-he's available, that he's worth a diminutive SS flier from rookie ball.

Sometimes I just feel like I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Doc, I agree with you on this Curtiss situation. It's a head-scratcher. 

• Oldgoat_MN and MN_ExPat like this

#29 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 794 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:54 AM

I was hoping for moves like this, but in the opposite direction. I thought this FO would be going after hard throwing young guys with minor league success that might be a tweak or two away from being solid, controllable bullpen pieces. The Parker signing is fine in a vacuum but I don't understand:

1. Why Curtiss needed to be the roster casualty.

2. Why this FO seems to loathe any young arm they didn't acquire. Kinley and Haley were literally forced onto the active roster via the Rule V for a month each and we had the misfortune of watching Belisle try to pitch for four months last season. Did/does the leash for certain in house options need to be so short?

So, what are the Twins waiting for .... when are they signing Belisle again?

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#30 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,897 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:05 AM

I'd rather have Curtiss than Ames. What gives?

Ames doesn't need to be on the 40 man.
They didn't choose Ames over Curtiss. They chose a roster spot for Parker over Curtiss.
  • SQUIRREL, ashbury, birdwatcher and 5 others like this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,897 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

Surprised we haven’t done this with Jake Reed yet.

Jake Reed was already left off the 40 man, and nobody wanted him.
  • birdwatcher, big dog, ChrisKnutson and 2 others like this

#32 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

I can appreciate all the love for Curtiss, and he isn't the guy I would have dumped, but I can see the logic behind it. I think he averaged 4.4 BB/9 and had an 11.8 BB% the past two seasons, most of that coming in triple A. That's a lot. Fernando Rodney had a 3.9 BB/9 and 9.9 BB% during his time with the Twins last season.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, beckmt and 4 others like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,897 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM

I can appreciate all the love for Curtiss, and he isn't the guy I would have dumped, but I can see the logic behind it. I think he averaged 4.4 BB/9 and had an 11.8 BB% the past two seasons, most of that coming in triple A. That's a lot. Fernando Rodney had a 3.9 BB/9 and 9.9 BB% during his time with the Twins last season.

Yeah I don't understand the fascination with fringe MLB relief "prospects" on this board.
Curtiss, Burdi, Chargois, Reed, I'll be quite surprised if anyone of these guys puts so much as a 1 WAR season up in their careers. These are all very flawed pitchers, all of whom will likely wash out of the league within 3 or 4 years.

#34 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 760 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:43 AM

I'd have no problem with the Curtiss deal if the backend of the bullpen was:

• May
  • Rogers
  • Pressly
  • Chargois
  • Burdi

Instead of Burdi and Chargois, Falvey gave us Duffey, a Tyler Kinney sighting, and a year of Slegers.Add in the Pressly trade and it looks like this FO has no interest developing a bullpen for this version of the Twins.

The FO has some smart people and I like what they're doing with the farm system. But I don't get the bullpen stuff.

• Dman and DocBauer like this

#35 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,715 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

So a 26yo fireballing RP with quality SO numbers but some control issues is not only not worth even a single extended shot, but is in so little demand when available, DFA or not-he's available, that he's worth a diminutive SS flier from rookie ball.

Sometimes I just feel like I have no idea what's going on anymore.

It's not that difficult. If they used them last September, they have a future with the team. If not, they are going to disappear. 

• Bamboo Bat likes this

#36 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,715 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

I'd have no problem with the Curtiss deal if the backend of the bullpen was:

• May
  • Rogers
  • Pressly
  • Chargois
  • Burdi

Instead of Burdi and Chargois, Falvey gave us Duffey, a Tyler Kinney sighting, and a year of Slegers.Add in the Pressly trade and it looks like this FO has no interest developing a bullpen for this version of the Twins.

The FO has some smart people and I like what they're doing with the farm system. But I don't get the bullpen stuff.

Burdi and Chargois can't stay healthy. The new regime has no interest in those types. For a little over a year of Pressly we got 2 pretty good looking prospects. 

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:45 PM

Curtiss is too young and too successful in the minors to be giving up on, especially for a team looking for a bullpen. He only has 15 innings in the majors.

I can see Curtiss falling into the ace set-up man role, and those of us who remember Romero and Rincon know how much of a luxury that is to have.

Edited by Doomtints, 16 January 2019 - 12:47 PM.

• Bamboo Bat likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#38 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers Miracle

• 452 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Guys that throw mid 90's with no control and in their mid to late 20's are a dime a dozen. It comes down to whether a pitching coach sees something he feels worth taking a look at in case something mechanically can be fixed.

You just have to have some kind of command, that's all there is to it. If you don't, you are not going to last very long.

*I actually liked Curtiss, but I understand why they made this move if they feel he has maxed out his potential

Edited by cmoss84, 16 January 2019 - 12:58 PM.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#39 Dman

Dman

• 1,712 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

Yeah I don't understand the fascination with fringe MLB relief "prospects" on this board.
Curtiss, Burdi, Chargois, Reed, I'll be quite surprised if anyone of these guys puts so much as a 1 WAR season up in their careers. These are all very flawed pitchers, all of whom will likely wash out of the league within 3 or 4 years.

I don't know if you want to put Chargios on that list. Or if you do then you need to recognize the FO chose poorly as I believe he had a better season than Moya, Duffey, Busenitz, Magill, Reed and HIldenburger did last year.To me it would be nice to have the guy that performed better than the guys they kept. Personally, I think that says something about the FO as well.

• gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN and KirbyDome89 like this

#40 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,877 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Sometimes the process is equally important as the results. I said as much in a different thread but the level of bullpen arms this FO has brought in isn't exactly stellar. The young unknowns aren't being forced out by guys who are clearly more talented or have proven track records. Belisle, Drake, Magill, Kinley, Haley, Turley, Wilk, Rucinski, Melville, Gee, Hughes, Hale, and maybe a few more all spent time on the active roster and saw game action. A few of them were serviceable at times but if you operate on a ridiculously low self imposed budget as the Twins do, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to be certain about the players you're letting go, especially if you're going to be bringing in question marks and castoffs from other organizations.  

• Rigby likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john curtiss