Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Blake Parker Signs Officially; John Curtiss DFAd

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,434 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

Welp, you can call me surprised.

We all knew the Parker signing was happening. That was a Ken Rosenthal report a week or so ago. 

Earlier today, Jon Heyman tweeted that the guaranteed money in the deal was less than we thought ($1.8 million) but that there are incentives based on days on the active roster that can push it up to $3.2 million.

The news that is shocking to me is that John Curtiss was the player to be DFAd. Dude throws hard,, has some secondary pitches and a good mentality. He was probably about 8th on my personal list of guys who might be DFAd... Guess not. I assume he will be claimed by someone. 

• glunn, bluechipper, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,912 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:57 PM

Curtiss... wow.. would have thought Duffey would have been let go. 

• glunn, Twins33, Danchat and 2 others like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

A year ago, I would have been surprised.

But Curtiss basically had his worst BB and K rates of his pro career in Rochester last year, and he's almost 26 years old.

• glunn, birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

And so the last best hope of the 2014 great reliever draft is gone:

Burdi, Cederoth, Clay, Reed, Cutura, Steele, and now finally Curtiss.

This draft now riding on the shoulders of Nick Gordon.

Ironic that the only reliever to see significant time with the Twins from that draft was the 22nd rounder, Hildenberger.

• USAFChief, glunn, jokin and 7 others like this

#5 B Good

B Good

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

A year ago, I would have been surprised.

But Curtiss basically had his worst BB and K rates of his pro career in Rochester last year, and he's almost 26 years old.

And yet Duffey, who is now 28, and pitched to a 7.20 ERA and only 6.8 K/9 rate last year still has a spot.It probably doesn't matter as neither is likely to be a difference maker, but I just can't see how Duffey keeps clogging up a roster spot. 

• glunn, Danchat, mikelink45 and 5 others like this

#6 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

I really don't think it matters. I thought a lot of the hangers-on were going to disappear. Back in the days of yore the Twins only invited 13 pitchers to spring training once. I thought it was crazy, but it ended up being one of those addition by subtraction deals.

Edited by howieramone2, 14 January 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#7 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

I really do not know what to make of this FO’s decisions anymore. I know I am far from knowledgeable as they are, and don’t have all the information they do, but just don’t know what to think anymore. I’ve worked hard to give them every benefit of a doubt, but that is just impossible to do anymore.
  • USAFChief, Blake, Danchat and 5 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 15,811 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

And yet Duffey, who is now 28, and pitched to a 7.20 ERA and only 6.8 K/9 rate last year still has a spot.It probably doesn't matter as neither is likely to be a difference maker, but I just can't see how Duffey keeps clogging up a roster spot. 

I mean, they're both on the fringe, but I can see a case for keeping Duffey over Curtiss. Duffey has some MLB success in 2015 and 2017, and was a bit better at AAA in 2018 (similar ERA, but better peripherals and capable of pitching multiple innings). Neither pitcher was out of options.

I'd gladly cut Duffey tomorrow for a quality MLB free agent reliever, of course.

• glunn, Twins33, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,075 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

i expect at least 3-4 more changes to the 40-man before the start of the season.

That said, I am surprised that one of Granite/Reed did not get DFA'd, esp. Granite.With Wade and Cave around he is trice redundant (LH throwing OF who can play CF)

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 5 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

I really do not know what to make of this FO’s decisions anymore. I know I am far from knowledgeable as they are, and don’t have all the information they do, but just don’t know what to think anymore. I’ve worked hard to give them every benefit of a doubt, but that is just impossible to do anymore.

We got a bit of a preview last September. Stewart and May pitched themselves into the mix, IMO Hildy pitched himself off the opening day roster, and Gonsalves looked like 80% of starting pitchers making their debut. No one else did too much. I'm not surprised at all.

Edited by howieramone2, 14 January 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#11 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

MLB has drifted to hard throwers, especially in the pen. And we keep a frisbee throwing artist in Hildy and a right handed balloon like curve ball pitcher in Duffey. Carol has a point, it's getting harder to see where this is going.
  • tarheeltwinsfan, Rigby, ken and 2 others like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#12 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

MLB has drifted to hard throwers, especially in the pen. And we keep a frisbee throwing artist in Hildy and a right handed balloon like curve ball pitcher in Duffey. Carol has a point, it's getting harder to see where this is going.

I'm guessing Duffey won't make it up north and Hildy is on the shuffle. Romero and May give us 2 hard throwers. Plenty of time to add another bull pen arm. Best to let things play out.

• birdwatcher and Original Whizzinator like this

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

I have no idea how Granite is surviving, given the options
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, darin617 and 10 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#14 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

I really don’t like this move. Feels like when they gave up on Randy Rosario after a middling year in AA and now the Cubs seemingly figured him out. Yet another bullpen prospect flunks out here...
  • darin617, Halsey Hall, Physics Guy and 4 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Mock Draft 2019

Running Back Rankings - 2019 Draft Class

#15 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

For what it's worth, when I lived in Texas I thought this about nearly every Ranger move.

• glunn likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#16 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

And so the last best hope of the 2014 great reliever draft is gone:

Burdi, Cederoth, Clay, Reed, Cutura, Steele, and now finally Curtiss.

This draft now riding on the shoulders of Nick Gordon.

Ironic that the only reliever to see significant time with the Twins from that draft was the 22nd rounder, Hildenberger.

Isn't Reed still around though?

• glunn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#17 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

Well that caught me off guard. There must be something they don't like about Curtis or don't see him making it.His K9 is good, some control issues as his 1.30 WHIP was far from elite but MLB site has him ranked as our #26 prospect as of last summer and they said this about him "Curtis' brief time in Minnesota no doubt whetted his appetite and sets the stage for him to spend more time in the big league bullpen in 2018. It wouldn't shock anyone if he one day closed games at the highest level, though a career as a valuable setup man isn't out of the question, either."

That doesn't sound like a guy you get rid of to me.I haven't really seen him pitch so I realize I don't know as much as the FO but come on they have like 5 center fielders on the roster and they can't play them all.To top it off they have yet another outfielder in Kiriloff that could be ready by year end or next year as well.Color me puzzled.

Not that relievers can't be fairly easily replaced but they had him controlled for the next 6 years and if he was mildly successful they could have at least turned him into more prospects. Hard to give these guys the benefit of the doubt after the rule V fiasco last year which most everyone thought was a terrible idea except the FO.I don't know, I question this move.  

• glunn, birdwatcher, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

#18 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

Isn't Reed still around though?

Twins drafted Jake Reed - Addison Reed is the one on the 40 man roster. He is still around though, afaik.

There is also the OF Michael Reed who they claimed off waivers from Atlanta.

• glunn likes this

#19 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Twins drafted Jake Reed - Addison Reed is the one on the 40 man roster. He is still around though, afaik.

There is also the OF Michael Reed who they claimed off waivers from Atlanta.

I know all of that, but I'm pretty sure Jake Reed's still in the organization. Left off the 40-man, but I don't think he was taken in the Rule 5.

• glunn, gil4, Danchat and 1 other like this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,235 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Curtiss was cast aside last season when the team was desperate for relievers. I'm not surprised nor mad they let him go. Frankly I am hoping they sign another great reliever or 2 so we can be done with Duffey and Magill. In due time that will happen too.
  • PseudoSABR, DocBauer, Dr. Evil and 1 other like this