Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Manny Machado

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Jeez, if the White Sox get him on an 8/250 deal, I'll scream.

http://www.espn.com/...icago-white-sox

That's a future HOFer locked in for his age 26-33 seasons. Twins should and could top that. They won't b/c ownership sucks.

• Loosey, Twins33, KirbyDome89 and 1 other like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

That's lower than what A Rod got from Texas nearly 20 years ago. Sad, really...

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

Also, I know the Pohlads are a very easy target and deserve some criticism, but this is an MLB-wide issue. Everyone, I mean everyone could use Machado or Harper on their teams. Yet only 2-3 teams have shown interest in speaking with them. That is insane.
  • gunnarthor, Twins33, Dman and 1 other like this

#4 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:22 PM

How is 31.5 million per year less than 25.2 million per year?
Less total money, but that's not really important for a non pitcher. Machado will hit free agency young enough to get another big contract at age 33.
  • brvama and PseudoSABR like this

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:24 PM

Also, I know the Pohlads are a very easy target and deserve some criticism, but this is an MLB-wide issue. Everyone, I mean everyone could use Machado or Harper on their teams. Yet only 2-3 teams have shown interest in speaking with them. That is insane.

How do you know it's not Machado that has a small list of teams he's willing to sign with?
He's getting more money than he can spend, no matter where he signs. He's a young guy, he's probably interested in big lights, big city, world class restaurants and night life, not flyover country.
  • brvama, Oldgoat_MN and jud6312 like this

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,820 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Not really: 

Machado: .282/.335/.487, 121 OPS+, 26 years old(career after last season)
ARod: .309/.374/.561, 138 OPS+, 24 years old (career until FA)

ARod was much better, 2 years younger, and had (then) no character issues

• birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

How is 31.5 million per year less than 25.2 million per year?
Less total money, but that's not really important for a non pitcher. Machado will hit free agency young enough to get another big contract at age 33.

$25.2 million in 2000 is the equivalent to $36.765 million in 2019 dollars with inflation.
  • TheLeviathan and mplsman like this

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

How do you know it's not Machado that has a small list of teams he's willing to sign with?
He's getting more money than he can spend, no matter where he signs. He's a young guy, he's probably interested in big lights, big city, world class restaurants and night life, not flyover country.

From what I'm reading that's probably the case. He wants to be a NYY but they're not interested in him. I'm still surprised there are no other teams in contact with him besides Philly and Chicago.

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Not really:

Machado: .282/.335/.487, 121 OPS+, 26 years old (career after last season)
ARod: .309/.374/.561, 138 OPS+, 24 years old (career until FA)

ARod was much better, 2 years younger, and had (then) no character issues

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

$25.2 million in 2000 is the equivalent to $36.765 million in 2019 dollars with inflation.

If we are using inflation then Machado should get less. A lot less.
ARod was coming off a 10.4 WAR season, and was 2 years younger.
The fact Machado is even getting close to what ARod got, inflation adjusted, tells me that guys are getting paid.
  • birdwatcher, gil4, Mike Frasier Law and 1 other like this

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Because if you are going to adjust for inflation, then the better, younger player SHOULD get more money.
  • birdwatcher and FargoFanMan like this

#12 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Jeez, if the White Sox get him on an 8/250 deal, I'll scream.

http://www.espn.com/...icago-white-sox

That's a future HOFer locked in for his age 26-33 seasons. Twins should and could top that. They won't b/c ownership sucks.

I’ve been saying this in the off-season news thread. We will never win as we have not and will not do enough. Sox are up and coming, and Machado will anchor them for seasons to come, primed to take over when Cleveland does decline, and the Twins will continue to be also-rans without any top of the line star power.

And the bright lights of Chicago? Pffft ... hugely overrated. Minneapolis might be smaller, but there is plenty that is as good and some that is better than Chicago.

Pay him the money. Get him.
  • gunnarthor, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 6 others like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

2000 MLB league average:

.270/.345/.437 for a total of .782 OPS.

2018 MLB league average:

.248/.318/.409 for a total of .729 OPS.

They're both about 40 points above MLB average in BA, and A-Rod was higher than Machado was above MLB average for OPS.

At the end of the day we're talking about 2 great free agents that 30 teams should be thrilled to sign. A Rod signed relatively quickly, Machado is having a hard time finding a formal offer from a team.
  • Carole Keller, gunnarthor, TheLeviathan and 1 other like this

#14 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

How is it sad that he is sitting on an offer for the 4th largest contract in MLB history? 

He will continue to negotiate and hope for a larger one but he has that in his back pocket waiting for his signature.

2 more seasons and it might be Mookie Betts and Trout competing for contracts in Free Agency.Those are 2 players that actually deserve the richest contracts in history.

#15 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

If we are using inflation then Machado should get less. A lot less.
ARod was coming off a 10.4 WAR season, and was 2 years younger.
The fact Machado is even getting close to what ARod got, inflation adjusted, tells me that guys are getting paid.

MLB overall revenue is literally 3X what it was in 2001. So as a percentage of overall revenue, ARod's contract today would be something like $75M/yr. 

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#16 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Like Machado is going to go to the Minnesota Twins.The value of playing in Chicago, Boston or New York, San Fransisco or LA is at least as much as his pay check.Florida and Texas teams do not have state income taxes.  

Sports wise, we are provincial with the added "bonus" of being a high tax state with a bad climate.That alone adds at least $10+ million to the cost the Twins have to go over those teams.

If you were a high end athlete and could choose where to play, do you go to Minneapolis or New York....

• BenB likes this

#17 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

Like Machado is going to go to the Minnesota Twins.The value of playing in Chicago, Boston or New York, San Fransisco or LA is at least as much as his pay check.Florida and Texas teams do not have state income taxes.  

Sports wise, we are provincial with the added "bonus" of being a high tax state with a bad climate.That alone adds at least $10+ million to the cost the Twins have to go over those teams.

If you were a high end athlete and could choose where to play, do you go to Minneapolis or New York....

How is playing in those cities more value? I get New York, but I don't get it for Chicago. Why not Houston on that list? How is playing for the White Sox more value? Their fanbase is considerably smaller. Their coverage is much less than the Cubs. The city itself is not that great ... and I say that as a 19-year resident. Anything the White Sox offer, the Twins can offer.

• Twins33, Dantes929 and Tomj14 like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#18 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:58 PM

A questionable character player on the White Sox? Seems like a great fit.

• Blake, BenB and howieramone2 like this

#19 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

If the White Sox get him I am going to be jealous.He should jump start their rebuild.They Still have Abreau and Jimenez is likely up next year.They have young pitching that if not ready this year should be ready next year.They have good young talent not too far away. Having Manny in the lineup should really help and they get him in his prime years as well.It is a steep price but I think they would be paying it at the right time as they have cheap young talent coming up so they will have room for that salary for at least the next four to five years without sweating it too much.

• Carole Keller likes this

#20 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

Offering a 5/200 deal might be ideal. 40/year too tough to turn down for Manny, and we get him age 26-31...in time for him to get another large deal. I would be shocked if multiple teams do not offer this kind of a contract. 

• scottz likes this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.