Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Where are they now? Ex-Twins in 2019

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

#381 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:09 AM

Meanwhile, Danny Santana keeps playing surprisingly well for Texas, If anything, his stats have gotten better in the past month.He homered again yesterday (his 17th of the year) and now is batting .325 with 49 RBI. Pretty darn impressive. He's also been pretty versatile, playing outfield and infield, with another stint at 1st base yesterday.

There was talk of the Rangers cashing in Danny Santana before the deadline, but I don't think anyone was buying -- he has a .403 BABIP, shades of his .405 mark with the Twins in 2014.

Remarkably, even though his power appears to be up significantly over 2014 (.271 ISO over .153), his wRC+ is only modestly better, 137 over 132. I guess league and park factors contribute to that, plus his K% has risen which neutralizes the high BABIP a little.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#382 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

Does Carlos Torres count as an ex-Twin?

The Giants just signed him, albeit to a minor league deal.

https://www.mlbtrade...los-torres.html

• ashbury likes this

#383 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

Carlos Torres, a 36 year old breathing reliever, signed a minor league deal with San Francisco.

San Francisco... Your one stop shop for all Twins castoffs.

#384 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,881 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 05 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Santana could win a batting championship! He’s not listed among the batting leaders, but at 4 PAs per game, he’ll easily qualify. He trails LeMahieu by 10 points.

• JW24 and mickeymental like this

#385 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

This is pretty great.Escobar taking Dozier deep in last night's game.Look at that smile on his face while he's in the box, so great.

https://bdata-produc...8863bbafcd4.mp4

Brian Dozier should have shaken off Kurt Suzuki's sign and gone with a fast ball to Eduardo Escobar.

#386 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

I checked MLB rosters today, the day after the trading deadline and found a grand total of 26 ex-Twins on active rosters in the major leagues:

Pitchers--Oliver Drake (Tampa Bay), Buddy Boshers (Toronto), Anthony Swarzak (Atlanta), Tyler Kinley (Miami), Mike Morin (Philadelphia), Blake Parker (Philadelphia), Fernando Rodney (Washington), Brandon Kintzler (Chicago Cubs), Francisco Liriano (Pittsburgh), Adalberto Mejía (St. Louis), Liam Hendriks (Oakland), Matt Magill (Seattle), Tommy Milone (Seattle), Lance Lynn (Texas) and JT Chargois (LA Dodgers)

Catchers--Wilson Ramos (New York Mets), Kurt Suzuki (Washington) and Chris Herrmann (Oakland)

Infielders--Brian Dozier (Washington), Logan Forsythe (Texas), Danny Santana (Texas), Eduardo Escobar (Arizona) and Tyler Austin (San Francisco).

Outfielders--Aaron Hicks (New York Yankees), Niko Goodrum (Detroit) and Robbie Grossman (Oakland).

Others recently DFA'd (?) who made appearances earlier: Sean Gilmartin, Eduardo Nunez, John Hicks, Kendrys Morales, Daniel Palka, Chen Wei Hu, Bobby Wilson, Luke Bard, Huascar Ynoa, Ryan O'Rourke, Carlos Gomez, Randy Rosario, Zach Duke, John Curtiss...

• mickeymental likes this

#387 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:52 AM

Hector Santiago is back in the MLB! The White Sox purchased his contract today.

#388 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

There was talk of the Rangers cashing in Danny Santana before the deadline, but I don't think anyone was buying -- he has a .403 BABIP, shades of his .405 mark with the Twins in 2014.

Remarkably, even though his power appears to be up significantly over 2014 (.271 ISO over .153), his wRC+ is only modestly better, 137 over 132. I guess league and park factors contribute to that, plus his K% has risen which neutralizes the high BABIP a little.

Here's a Fangraphs post discussing Danny Santana's breakout in more detail!

https://blogs.fangra...ntana-breakout/

#389 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:27 PM

Ex-Twin Ryan O'Rourke is a Twin again! Or at least a Red Wing, for now.

https://www.mlbtrade...an-orourke.html

#390 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

As loogy’s go, he’s still real good IMO. As the article stated, he probably doesn’t make the roster until September, but he will definitely help IMO. In fact it might be worth it to have him up on August 31.

Roster question: As I understand it, if there is a player on the 40 man on the DL, the Twins could petition for someone not on the 40 man as of the Aug 31 deadline to take his spot on the playoff roster. Does that apply to the milb IL? Could O’Rourke replace Hildenberger or Gonsalves for example?

#391 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 06:34 PM

Roster question: As I understand it, if there is a player on the 40 man on the DL, the Twins could petition for someone not on the 40 man as of the Aug 31 deadline to take his spot on the playoff roster. Does that apply to the milb IL? Could O’Rourke replace Hildenberger or Gonsalves for example?

I suspect they'd have to be transferred to the MLB IL to do that, but they would probably want to do that anyway (transfer them to the MLB 60-day DL to open a 40-man spot for O'Rourke).

#392 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:11 PM

Can they legally put a guy on the milb dl to mlb dl?

M-o-u-s-e

#393 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 16,347 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

Can they legally put a guy on the milb dl to mlb dl?

M-o-u-s-e

Yes. The Twins did it with JT Chargois back in September of 2017, from the minors DL to the MLB 60-day DL to open up a 40-man roster spot.

It's a win-win, as the player then gets MLB pay/benefits/ service time.

#394 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 6,106 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Of course it would be ultimate in Pohlad cheapness to not do that because they would have to pay mlb salary...

#395 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:09 AM

Tyler Austin claimed by the Brewers.

#396 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,874 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:26 AM

If you ever wondered where Ryan LaMarre, Lucas Duda, Pedro Florimon, Huascar Ynoa, and John Ryan Murphy are, they are with Atlanta’s AAA team, the Gwinnett Stripers.

You’re welcome. :)
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, big dog and 2 others like this

#397 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,542 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

Still makes me sick.

#398 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

If they really liked Lynn.... Had they signed him before camp, who knows what happens. Instead, they waited and went cheap.....I liked the signing, as I thought he was a number three innings eater.....
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#399 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,050 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:09 PM

When does the pitching genius part kick in?

https://blogs.fangra...aking-baseball/

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#400 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:03 PM

When does the pitching genius part kick in?

https://blogs.fangra...aking-baseball/

Flash in the pan, a la Derrick Rodriguez.

Good for Anderson, but I don't think it will last.