Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Where are they now? Ex-Twins in 2019

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:54 PM

this whole thread is made up of errors.  

Our error for letting them go

or

their error for trying to make something out of them

I mean, exactly! It always just amazes me that we can be so dang crappy, then reject the crappiest of our crappy players, and then see all of these crappy players resurface out there on the fringes. Baseball is so weird.

• howieramone2 likes this

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Which reminds me: Is Ricky Nolasco still kicking around?

Not in baseball, since Nolasco was released from his minor league deal with the Royals last March.

• glunn likes this

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Let's not forget Oliver Drake, who can't get out of 40-man/DFA hell. Just moved again 10 days ago to the Rays. He'd been claimed by the Blue Jays after the Twins DFA'd him earlier in the offseason. Played for FIVE teams last year.

I wouldn't call it "hell". Thanks to claims and trades, Drake racked up another season of MLB service time in 2018 toward his pension, and made $550k salary. He's not getting paid this winter, but he still keep benefits for him and his family as long as he's on a 40-man roster (or even while he's in DFA limbo).

For a 43rd round draft pick who didn't debut until age 28, he's done pretty well by grossing over $1 mil in salary the last 2 years, at age 30-31, and racking up over 2 years of service time toward his pension. And he's done so largely because teams can't freely shuttle him to the minors anymore, and instead have to allow him to go elsewhere. I'm sure he'd prefer to stay in one place in MLB, but moving around MLB sure beats getting sent back to the minors.

• glunn, birdwatcher, BK432 and 3 others like this

#24 Devereaux

Devereaux

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

I noticed Alexi Casilla is batting over .300 in the Dominican League
  • glunn, Shaitan and Doctor Wu like this

#25 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,748 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't call it "hell". Thanks to claims and trades, Drake racked up another season of MLB service time in 2018 toward his pension, and made $550k salary. He's not getting paid this winter, but he still keep benefits for him and his family as long as he's on a 40-man roster (or even while he's in DFA limbo).

For a 43rd round draft pick who didn't debut until age 28, he's done pretty well by grossing over $1 mil in salary the last 2 years, at age 30-31, and racking up over 2 years of service time toward his pension. And he's done so largely because teams can't freely shuttle him to the minors anymore, and instead have to allow him to go elsewhere. I'm sure he'd prefer to stay in one place in MLB, but moving around MLB sure beats getting sent back to the minors.

I wonder how much pension a player can accrue from 2 years of service time. I would like to know more about MLB pensions. Maybe someone can start a thread.

Edit -- I found what I was looking for -- https://www.marketwa...sion-2016-10-11

#26 BK432

BK432

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

Please don't take my choice of words too seriously. Everything you say is 100% correct. His service with 5 teams is a quirk and an MLB record, and just stood out in my mind. The Effectively Wild podcast even had him on as a guest last month because of it. It was super interesting. His girlfriend has had to do all of the apartment renting and cancelling and packing and all of that stuff, so it probably affects her more than him!

#27 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

Director of strategic initiatives for baseball operations? That is yet another fancy job title that leaves me scratching my head. .

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,282 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

Twins 1st round pick in 2038! Is that a real year?

Edited by Vanimal46, 16 January 2019 - 09:47 AM.

#29 minnesquatcha

minnesquatcha

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Felix Jorge and Buddy Boshers to the Reds.

https://www.mlbtrade...elix-jorge.html

• Danchat and Doctor Wu like this

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

It's amazing that Milone's slow-motion pitches and delivery, and the results of it all, are still kicking it. Good for him.

He may just end up playing for Seattle as they have very poor depth. He's probably their #6/#7 guy. One or two injuries and he gets the ball (for a while anyway).

#31 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

Twins 1st round pick in 2038! Is that a real year?

Why does he look like Manny Ramirez? /scandal

• ashburyjohn likes this

#32 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,513 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Well, Manny Ramirez was once busted for taking a female fertility hormone...
  • ashburyjohn and woolywoolhouse like this

#33 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

He also looks like Winston Churchill but then every baby looks like Winston Churchill.

• Doomtints and Jack like this

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde

#34 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:19 AM

Still holding out hope that Big Sexy finds a job in 2019...

And things remain quiet on the Big Sexy front. From what I've read he still wants to pitch, but will any team take a chance on him at this point, even on a minor league deal or spring training invite?

#35 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

And things remain quiet on the Big Sexy front. From what I've read he still wants to pitch, but will any team take a chance on him at this point, even on a minor league deal or spring training invite?

Colon pitching to Astudillo - what a battery that would make.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#36 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Ha! I love that idea. What a dream battery!

• Monkeypaws likes this

#37 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

And our old pal Francisco Liriano just signed a minor league deal with the Pirates. Hard to believe that he's 35 years old now. Man, time flies.

Edited by Doctor Wu, 05 February 2019 - 08:05 AM.

#38 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:58 AM

Yet another ex-Twin gets signed: Jon Heyman reports that the Phillies agreed to a minor league deal with veteran catcher Drew Butera that includes a $1.3 million salary in the event that he makes the major league roster.

#39 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

We'd sell a lot of tickets for some promotional game in mid-August and the Twins' marketing team would certainly milk it as long as they could

#40 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

C'mon, dream big. Astudillo pitching to Colón.

• snepp, spycake and woolywoolhouse like this

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.-- Oscar Wilde