Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Where are they now? Ex-Twins in 2019

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#341 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,625 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 06:09 AM

yesterday's news: Veteran Fernando Rodney came on in relief of Strasburg and induced an inning-ending double play in the eighth before handing off to closer Sean Doolittle for the ninth.

You forgot to mention that Rodney’s relief appearance was to preserve a 2-0 lead, which was provided by a Brian Dozier two-run homer.

The Nats are 27-11 since May 23, in the NL wild card spot and only 6 back of Atlanta. Any dreams of trading for Scherzer (who struck out 11 and stole a base yesterday) are looooong gone.
  • USAFChief, birdwatcher, spycake and 1 other like this

#342 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,311 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

You forgot to mention that Rodney’s relief appearance was to preserve a 2-0 lead, which was provided by a Brian Dozier two-run homer.

The Nats are 27-11 since May 23, in the NL wild card spot and only 6 back of Atlanta. Any dreams of trading for Scherzer (who struck out 11 and stole a base yesterday) are looooong gone.

yup, and to think they were literally a bad week from blowing that team up.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#343 spycake

spycake

• 16,793 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:03 AM

yup, and to think they were literally a bad week from blowing that team up.

I don't think they were ever a week away from blowing it up to the point of dealing Scherzer. They still had too many long-term assets to do that.

Rendon and Doolittle, on the other hand, were probably close to the trading block. As well as Kendrick, Dozier, etc.

• SQUIRREL and Riverbrian like this

#344 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,859 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

Byung-Ho Park is back to all star form in the KBO!

• Doctor Wu likes this

#345 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

I’ve never understood why pitchers aren’t included in fan voting.

#346 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,873 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:51 PM

I’ve never understood why pitchers aren’t included in fan voting.

I've never understood why fans get to vote.

• SQUIRREL and Doctor Wu like this

#347 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,638 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

Byung-Ho Park is back to all star form in the KBO!

Wonder how much it would cost to pry him away from the Kiwoom Heroes.

In other news, there is a team called the Kiwoom Heroes.

• big dog and Jham like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#348 Brandon

Brandon

• 1,987 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:47 PM

My issue with Grossman is two-fold and both points are the opposite of each other... My issue with Grossman is both... that we needed him in the first place and that he didn't play enough while he was here.

We traded Hicks because we didn't need a 4th OF'er. We didn't sign another RH OF'er to provide insurance for Rosario, Buxton and Sano like Chief and I were asking at the time.

It was May 17th, 2016. Buxton had already been sent down... Kepler was back down (he was never really up) he came up and sat bench for while with Polanco while the team crashed around them. That was the day that Grossman was signed to a minor league deal after he opted out of his minor league deal with Cleveland.

That night... the Twins were playing the Tigers in Detroit.

We had:
Rosario in LF hitting .196
Danny Santana in CF
Sano in RF

We lost 7-2 to go 10-28 and Eddie Rosario was sent down to AAA leaving Sano as the LONE SURVIVOR from the opening day OF . Grossman probably doesn't get to enjoy Rochester at all because he is quickly called to the Twins.

Once he was here... He was as good as we had in 2016... Still only got 389 AB's. So yeah, he probably should have played more.

But, I can't stomach that he was the best we had. And we've had the chance to find better every off-season for 2017, 2018 and 2019... And we have yet to accomplish it.

Didn't we sign him after the OF we wanted to call up retired instead.

#349 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,873 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:16 PM

I don't know of anyone posting with "joy" about Robbie's deficiencies. But in an era of 13-man pitching staffs leaving only 3 bench spots in the AL game, you could probably say the same thing about any one-tool player - there will be times they suffer for not having a dedicated power bat on the bench, or not having a truly glove-only whiz on the bench, or not having a Herb Washington type of pinch runner on the bench (OK, teams figured that out long ago :) ). Grossman isn't a horrible player but he's a tweener who puts a lot of pressure on the roster when you have him.

Yep. I've never understood the Grossman hate. He's not a bad player but I think that one defensive outlier year when he went full Washington Generals sticks in peoples' minds.

He's a limited capacity player, a guy with deficiencies... like pretty much every other player on an MLB bench, otherwise they'd be a starter, not a bench player.

Maybe it's the fact that Grossman's single skillset - getting on base - isn't really eye-popping so it tends to be ignored.

#350 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:55 PM

Lance Lynn......who saw that coming?

• Doctor Wu likes this

#351 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,638 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:19 AM

Our front office......a year too early.

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#352 big dog

big dog

• 3,041 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:38 AM

Short piece here about the decline of Dereck Rodriguez with the Giants.Really strong first year last year, began in the rotation this year, sent to the minors, brought back as a reliever, now back in the minors.Hope he can make some adjustments.

https://aroundthefog...autionary-tale/

Nick Anderson is striking out 14 batters per 9 innings, FIP of 2.69.WAR is 0.3, ERA is league average.

Someone previously brought up the Schoop/Dozier comparison.At the break:

Schoop WAR 1.8, OPS .779, BA .260, OBP .311, SLG .469

Dozier WAR 0.4, OPS .767. BA .233, OBP .322, SLG .444

I'd rather have the BA and the slugging than the BBs, but I'm glad Dozier hasn't completely fallen off a cliff. Good luck to him.

Edited by big dog, 12 July 2019 - 06:41 AM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#353 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 990 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:45 AM

I think it goes to show that spring training does matter a little. Wow, could you imagine the Twins with Lynn and Pressly still on the squad?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#354 spycake

spycake

• 16,793 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:57 AM

Someone previously brought up the Schoop/Dozier comparison.At the break:

Schoop WAR 1.8, OPS .779, BA .260, OBP .311, SLG .469

Dozier WAR 0.4, OPS .767. BA .233, OBP .322, SLG .444

I'd rather have the BA and the slugging than the BBs, but I'm glad Dozier hasn't completely fallen off a cliff. Good luck to him.

Interesting. That WAR difference is almost entirely defense, where the two are separated by 8 runs so far (~0.8 WAR). Only 2-3 runs separate them on offense/baserunning -- and even that separation seems tied to park factors.

#355 spycake

spycake

• 16,793 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:00 AM

I think it goes to show that spring training does matter a little.

Don't know about that. Inspired by the Shannon Stewart thread, I looked up Kenny Rogers -- the Twins signed him at about the same point in March 2003. He was pretty much unaffected.

#356 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,025 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

Came here to post about Lynn, see a few of you have beaten me to the punch!

12-4 with a 3.69 ERA.

134 K's in 122 innings.

Never in a million years did I think he'd succeed in Texas. I'd pegged him as a 7-9 game winner with an ERA north of 5. Unreal comeback year for him!

• Mike Sixel likes this

#357 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 752 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

Not only is Lance Lynn pitching well for Texas, Danny Santana continues his steady play for the Rangers too. He drove in the winning run last night, with two outs in the bottom of the night, and Texas beat the Astros for the second night in a row. Hmm ... are they for real? Santana had 3 hits on the night, including his 10th HR of the year. He is now batting .307. Who woulda thunk it?

#358 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,311 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

Former Twin Eduardo Nunez DFA'd by the Red Sox. No word on whether he lost his helmet when he heard the news.

• ashbury and Mike Sixel like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#359 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,250 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:23 PM

Interesting in that the Twins got Mejía in exchange.
  • jorgenswest and spycake like this

#360 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

It’s almost as if that trade was the temporal junction point of the universe.
  • Han Joelo, Mike Sixel and spycake like this