Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Best Remaining No-Risk Starters on the Free Agent Market

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:52 PM

Ok, so let's say the Twins sign one of those guys to a minor league deal, and hope to get lucky.

Then what?

Ash and Nick pretty much answered, but my take is simple.

If the guy rebounds and looks surprisingly good, you've added another solid option for the rotation and you've added depth, depth to the pen where Mejia and Romero could both help.

If said guy doesn't flash, he goes to Rochester to continue to work while off the 40 man. He can still be released or opt out.

If, at whatever point, said signee looks good, there is the option to trade him, or anyone else, to bring in another asset or two.

All you are doing is bringing in a flier to see if you get lucky and build depth and possibilities.
  • Otwins and howieramone2 like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#82 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

To me the downside is these guys pitch to their career mediocreness and tie up a roster spot.

Exactly.

#83 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

Then you give him the option to head to Triple-A, or opt-out and become a free agent again. These kinds of arrangements take place almost every spring. (IF you don't need him anyway because others aren't ready/healthy.)

It's a game of musical chairs and someone like Tillman doesn't have a ton of leverage. Compared to other destinations, Minnesota is an attractive destination. No one has a firm grasp on the Twins' final rotation spot, and Pineda is penciled in despite throwing zero MLB innings last year.

Fair enough. I can't disagree with any of that, really. I guess I'd rather see them add to the top or middle of the rotation, and push everyone else down a spot, than add another guy to compete for the back end.
  • Carole Keller likes this

#84 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:27 PM

Ash and Nick pretty much answered, but my take is simple.
If the guy rebounds and looks surprisingly good, you've added another solid option for the rotation and you've added depth, depth to the pen where Mejia and Romero could both help.
If said guy doesn't flash, he goes to Rochester to continue to work while off the 40 man. He can still be released or opt out.
If, at whatever point, said signee looks good, there is the option to trade him, or anyone else, to bring in another asset or two.
All you are doing is bringing in a flier to see if you get lucky and build depth and possibilities.

Fair enough. Identifying the right guy is only half the battle. I'd rather see them add to the top of the rotation, or do something impactful with the young pitchers with options they already have. If that means a stacker or opener/primary, so be it (if it works :) ). They must have enough data on their pitchers by now to exploit certain matchups and put them in better spots for them to succeed.

#85 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

Great pitcher, or see what the youth can actually do. That's my preference.
  • Carole Keller, lecroy24fan, Twins33 and 5 others like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#86 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,147 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

To me the downside is these guys pitch to their career mediocreness and tie up a roster spot. In the meantime we still don't know what we have in the Stewart's and Gonsalves's.

Nothing about a MiLB deal obligates the team to do anything. I think the concern being expressed is about the front office not having the discipline to leave the spare tire in the trunk if none of the tires on the ground are running flat. And maybe, given past experience, that's a fair concern. But a signing itself, if one does occur, shouldn't be.

• Nick Nelson, lecroy24fan, diehardtwinsfan and 5 others like this

It is not real work unless you would rather be doing something else.

#87 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,977 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:47 AM

To me the downside is these guys pitch to their career mediocreness and tie up a roster spot. In the meantime we still don't know what we have in the Stewart's and Gonsalves's.

there will be lots of innings for starters 6-8 in the big league rotation, but agreed. Pineda is the reclamation project and nothing is certain with him.

Now is the time to improve the middle of the rotation (trade for Gray or sign Gio) or go with what you got for the back.

#88 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:00 AM

Not much in the way of exciting pitchers on that list, although if they got Dallas Keuchel.or Gio Gonzalez on a 1-year deal that wouldn't be such an awful thing. And I like the Martin Perez idea that Chris floated. But if the Twins are truly serious about contending in 2019 I think they need to aim higher and trade for someone like Greinke or maybe even take a chance on Sonny Gray rebounding away from New York. I just don't think we can depend on Pineda as a solid rotation piece at this point, at least not until he shows that he's healthy and durable.

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#89 killertwinfan

killertwinfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

Yes totally agree unless you can get them super cheap. However thekeyword "closer" for me.I have not hear anyone writers or other talk about a closer.What do people think will happen? Committee?

Mejia is a viable option when healthy.I like him better than any of these options.

Grab a closer instead.

#90 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

The only problem I have with these "no risk" "minor league deals" with MLB veterans is it seems they always make the roster with the Twins.

• Twins33 and Danchat like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#91 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

If Stewart and/or Gonsalves are ready, these guys don't get a roster spot. When they are ready, you cut these guy. It's not that difficult a concept. The Yankees just made a move like this. Sanchez is a good example. He was the first starting pitcher we signed last off-season, on a very low risk deal and the board had kittens. When we got Odorizzi and Lynn, he was gone within 30 days.

#92 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

FWIW, Sanchez took a 40-man spot last offseason when he was signed. It was a "split contract" that would have paid less in the minors than in MLB, but it wasn't a minor league deal.

Also, it's unclear if the Twins would have been able to get a successful season from Sanchez. Although he would have been a nice alternative to try once he was healthly in June -- but so was Mejia and we passed on using him until our season was more or less out of hand...

#93 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

The only problem I have with these "no risk" "minor league deals" with MLB veterans is it seems they always make the roster with the Twins.

I understand this inclination, but I think it's outdated. Has that happened with this current front office? Last year they brought in Erick Aybar for a look but ended up cutting him, even with the Polanco suspension. In 2017 they brought in Ryan Vogelsong and Nick Tepesch, but picked a rookie Adalberto Mejia over both. 

• ashburyjohn and ChrisKnutson like this

#94 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

I understand this inclination, but I think it's outdated. Has that happened with this current front office? Last year they brought in Erick Aybar for a look but ended up cutting him, even with the Polanco suspension. In 2017 they brought in Ryan Vogelsong and Nick Tepesch, but picked a rookie Adalberto Mejia over both. 

Yeah, if they are just bringing them in with nothing guaranteed, then I'm all for it.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#95 ken

ken

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

They couldn't keep them because they were waisting a spot on a rule 5 pick.
  • Mike Sixel and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#96 Crackedfungo

Crackedfungo

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

Meh. Just.....no.