Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Let's Make A Deal (Arbitration Edition)

kyle gibson eddie rosario byron buxton miguel sano max kepler
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

I am not into extending Buxton or Kepler at this time.I also think it is wrong to assume that Buxton is "worth it" on his defense alone.His defense makes an impact, but not nearly as much as a lot of people want to think because his bat makes such a negative impact.He goes through long spells where he is about as clueless a hitter there is in the game AND one of the easiest outs you're going to find.His spot in the lineup comes up four times a game.in 2017 (his best season and as close to a full season as he has given us) he made 274 plays.He made a little more than two plays a game.Just how many of those were routine?  

This notion that his glove is worth him being a horrible hitter isn't truthful or factual.If he can't hit at least .240 and get on base at a rate above .300 then he is a liability.I don't care if his glove is made of platinum.  

• jkcarew likes this

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

I love Rosario, but besides Sano (who’s likely to leave for a big market club one day), Kepler is the only player who I envision aging well, so why not pursue an extension? And as a player who’s got a lot of potential, but has yet to breakout, is it possible that Kepler could be convinced that this could be his only shot at a decently sized payday, and choose security over betting on himself? If so, that would be a huge win for the Twins and their future financial endeavors.

#23 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:49 PM

• PseudoSABR likes this

#24 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

Thinking Sano and Odorizzi end up in front of an arbiter.The rest will settle.

I hope this is true.Should Bux end up in arbitration, I foresee a lot of ugly. $1.2M versus $2.25M?I hope I'm wrong, but I think he thinks he deserves $10M.

Whatever impact it may or may not have, the issue of the decision to push his service time in September will certainly be raised.

#25 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

I hate to be a rain cloud, but these numbers, and the glacial pace of the FA market both suggest a very difficult renegotiation of the labor contract in, what, 3 years.

The good news is that there won't be a labor stoppage because the Expos are not in playoff position. (Sorry: still a raw subject )
  • gil4 and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

God to see Buxton sign and that he got a little more money than the websites were projecting. MLB Trade Rumors claims he had been "projected" to make $1.2m in arbitration. Assuming that's true, and none of us know of course, this would suggest that the FO is trying to help the relationship by giving him 500K+ more than he would otherwise get. Small price to pay to keep him happy, or at least less mad. Also takes away the possibility of an ugly arbitration process. Smart move if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.  

• jorgenswest, beckmt, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Article updated to include the deals for Buxton, Miguel Sano and Jake Odorizzi. 

#28 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Name one other company in the US where following a terrible performance (like worst in the industry), an employee whines about the company to the media at a charity event, and in return, the company raises the pay and comes out and states that the employee will face no internal opposition the next spring for a job - in an industry where that is standard. 

That company, my friends, is the Minnesota Twins.

Golden Boy status has been passed down from Mauer to Buxton. No accountability required. 

Edited by DrNeau, 11 January 2019 - 12:27 PM.

#29 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

Why would Rosario sign that? He's practically guaranteed more that that through the next 2 years of arbitration.

I was just responding to the numbers used in the OP and using them as examples of front loading not making actual suggestions. The OP had 2 years/10 million as a number so my numbers are the exact same 10 million total.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Updated now for Kepler and May who both agreed to terms. 

#31 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:33 PM

Name one other company in the US where following a terrible performance (like worst in the industry), an employee whines about the company to the media at a charity event, and in return, the company raises the pay and comes out and states that the employee will face no internal opposition the next spring for a job - in an industry where that is standard. 

Golden Boy status has been passed down from Mauer to Buxton. No accountability required. 

And any other team in MLB where the same situation would arise at the same time since those are the rules of arbitration... 

• ashbury, birdwatcher, Puckett34 and 4 others like this

#32 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

I think that is a disingenuous characterization of what happened.If you read the article Buxton believed he would need to compete for his job next\this year.His only real beef with the Twins was he felt he was fully healed and had been playing well in AAA and the Twins didn't call him up in September and he has a good point there.The Twins didn't call him up to save a year of service time which isn't exactly playing fair depending on how you look at it.He didn't blame the Twins for doing it or say anything other than he didn't think that was completely fair to him and he seemed a little steamed about it.I would bet he didn't like the way he played early in the year and the fact he never got a chance to redeem himself probably hurt as well.I can understand that.Competitors like to compete not go home while the season hasn't ended yet.

I am not sure what your beef is with the Twins stating he doesn't have any real competition for the position.When healthy he is the best defensive center fielder in baseball.You can't get anyone better.Yeah he has issues at the plate and that is a concern but the only way he can get better is to keep trying at the MLB level.

By gaining\stealing that extra year of service they cost Buxton some serious money.The least they could do is be a little generous in arbitration.

Edited by Dman, 11 January 2019 - 02:25 PM.

• birdwatcher, NapoleonComplex, gbg and 1 other like this

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:06 PM

Updated with deals for Taylor Rogers and Kyle Gibson. Appears only Eddie Rosario remains. 

• Carole Keller likes this

#34 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Glad they went a little higher with Kyle since they took him to arbitration last year.Was kind of hoping they could work out an extension but I would guess Kyle wants to bet on himself and see what happens.

Looks like most of the numbers worked out about how everyone expected them to,.

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,824 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Glad they went a little higher with Kyle since they took him to arbitration last year.Was kind of hoping they could work out an extension but I would guess Kyle wants to bet on himself and see what happens.

Looks like most of the numbers worked out about how everyone expected them to,.

There is no reason that they can't still work out an extension. Both sides may or may not want to.

I know a year ago at Twins Fest, it was clear that Brian Dozier wanted to sign with the Twins and stay here for a long time. The front office seemingly had no interest in that. With Gibson, I don't know. I'm sure Gibson would like to stay, but he also probably wants to experience free agency. 

#36 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

And any other team in MLB where the same situation would arise at the same time since those are the rules of arbitration... 

The Twins avoided arbitration and gave him a better deal than he would have gotten had he gone through the process.

#37 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

It's a "conciliatory gesture" to avoid unpleasantness. Too late. That ship sailed

#38 sthpstm

sthpstm

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Updated now for Kepler and May who both agreed to terms.

Sorry, what? How did Trevor May sign for less than the number offered by the Twins? That’s perplexing.

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:46 PM

The Twins avoided arbitration and gave him a better deal than he would have gotten had he gone through the process.

You have no way of knowing what he would have gotten in arbitration.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#40 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

Sorry, what? How did Trevor May sign for less than the number offered by the Twins? That’s perplexing.

These were predictions by Seth, not numbers actually submitted.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle gibson, eddie rosario, byron buxton, miguel sano, max kepler