Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Projecting the 2022 Lineup

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:31 PM

I'm a big Luis Arraez fan, so I'll slot him in at 2B. Polanco can play 3B.

#22 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Baseball America does this every year, and it is more of a prospect prediction exercise than anything.

Here is their 2022:

C Ryan Jeffers 25
1B Brent Rooker 27
2B Jorge Polanco 28
3B Jose Miranda 24
SS Royce Lewis 23
LF Eddie Rosario 30
CF Byron Buxton 28
RF Alex Kirilloff 24
DH Trevor Larnach 25
SP Jose Berrios 28
SP Brusdar Graterol 23
SP Fernando Romero 27
SP Jhoan Duran 24
SP Blayne Enlow 23
CL Trevor May 32

I really like this projection.

#23 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,487 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:39 PM

I don’t see how you can suggest that a lineup made up almost entirely of players that are 1-2 years away from their MLB debuts will be a contender in 3.

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

The issues are injuries.Not something that can be projected.I see the SP rotation having some outsider.If Sano turns it around he will be here with a big extension, if not your projection is right on.3B just does not work in any of these projections.We have not put 3B players into our minor league system.  

Of course the BP is not projected and there is good reason not to guess - it is so volatile, but I will add a prediction - there will be a system for use of relievers developed throughout the league and if they are smart the roster will be 28 men so we can have bench and platoons again.

#25 FargoFanMan

FargoFanMan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

These games are fun and all but it truly shows the sad state of the franchise. I remember when we were looking ahead to 2018 with Buxton and Sano putting up MVP numbers. Remember when? 2018 future lineup C Turner/Garver 1B Kepler 2B Dozier SS Gordon 3B Sano LF Rosario CF Buxton RF AB Walker DH Mauer/Palka SP Santana SP Berrios SP Meyer SP May SP Stewart/Jay RP Rogers RP Chargois RP Reed RP Romero RP Burdi RP Melotakis Let’s hope 2022 brings us closer than 2018

#26 HrbekRules

HrbekRules

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Location1991

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

This is more of a hope than a prediction.

C- Garver/Rortvedt

1B - Rooker

2b - Polanco

SS - Lewis

3B - Wander Javier

LF - Kiriloff

CF - Buxton

RF - Larnach

DH - Rosario

#27 Dr. Beanpole

Dr. Beanpole

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Why am I seeing more lineups with Kepler at 1B over Kiriloff/Larnach? Kepler is clearly going to be the best fielder of the 3, why do we all think he won't stick at RF? Just because he's the only one of the 3 with any experience at 1B?

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#28 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Curious to see who we draft this year because whoever we land could definitely be a big league regular by 2022. Also, I’m curious to see what we have in Miranda because his offensive profile, versatility, and build give me the impression of a young Yuli Gurriel.

#29 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

C:Rortvedt-Garver

1B: Rooker

2B: Polanco-Gordon

3B: Javier-Gordon

SS: Lewis-Javier

LF: Rosario-(Celestino, Larnach or Maciel)

CF: Buxton-(Celestino, Maciel or Rosario)

RF: Kiriloff-(Celestino, Maciel or Rosario)

DH: Rosario, Rooker, Kiriloff

I'm going with one of Celestino, Larnach, or Maciel. If Larnach is here, he is in Left field pushing Rosario to DH/ Back up Outfielder. If Celestino or Maciel make it, they give more defensive flexibility as fourth outfielders, Rosario is starting in Left and DH is rotated.

13 Pitchers headlined by Starters Graterol, Romero, and Berrios (In that order)

• gagu likes this

#30 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

Lil' Flash has certainly fallen out of favor.Can he figure out AAA in his second go, or does he get added to the pile of failed first rounders?

If Kirilloff, Lewis, Rooker and Larnach are all in the starting lineup in 2022, that would be amazing. I doubt the Twins have ever had 4 consecutive first rounders on the same major league field, let alone in the starting lineup.

I agree it would be amazing. I hope that in 2021 they don't combine to hit .210

#31 caninatl04

caninatl04

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Curious to see who we draft this year because whoever we land could definitely be a big league regular by 2022. .

On the one hand, that would be great. On the other, given the ETAs of the top prospects, I could envision the Twins choosing a High School pitcher.

#32 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

On the one hand, that would be great. On the other, given the ETAs of the top prospects, I could envision the Twins choosing a High School pitcher.

Jack Leiter would be an interesting pick, but with all the uncertainty surrounding Sano and the 3B position in general, I could definitely see them going with Rece Hinds, if available.