Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Caesars Palace Releases Over/Under Win Numbers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 21,796 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

I’ll take the over because I don’t expect to see Baldelli manage April/May games like it’s the middle of October, leaving more space for guys like Reed and Hildenberger to contribute for an entire season instead of crashing and burning 30-40 appearances into their seasons.
  • glunn and Sconnie like this

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,909 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

Isn't expecting improvement from players based on age, or expecting everything that went right for some guys in 18' to continue to go right in 19' a fallacy in the same way that expecting other negative trends (win-loss record in one run games, Buxton, Sano, ect...) to continue this season as well? It's a nit pick, but I think we see areas of easy improvement much more clearly than areas of regression. 

I'd probably take the over just based on how bad KC, Detroit, and (hopefully) the Sox will be, but it's far from a slam dunk. 

that's fair, but it's not like there were a ton of players that had career years last year. Gibson... sure. Berrios is probably too young to be considered having a career year. Rosie has done this two years now. Biggest loss I see is the half season of Escobar that we won't get and really don't have a replacement for.  

• glunn likes this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 21,242 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

I’ll take the over because I don’t expect to see Baldelli manage April/May games like it’s the middle of October, leaving more space for guys like Reed and Hildenberger to contribute for an entire season instead of crashing and burning 30-40 appearances into their seasons.

Amen

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

that's fair, but it's not like there were a ton of players that had career years last year. Gibson... sure. Berrios is probably too young to be considered having a career year. Rosie has done this two years now. Biggest loss I see is the half season of Escobar that we won't get and really don't have a replacement for.  

If I were betting on which direction Berrios moves my money would be on up. I think the second half of last season is more who Rosario is rather than the first half, which is still a valuable player. 

Escobar leaving hurts. Cave likely won't continue 19' the way he started 18'. I've been a staunch Gibson critic; I don't think we see the first half of 17' version again, but it certainly wouldn't shock me if he was less than what we saw to start last season either. 

You'd think Buxton and Sano couldn't contribute less than they did last season, but we're also banking on Schoop turning things around and Cron being his 18' version rather than his 17' self. Who knows what'll happen with the bullpen, or even how it'll look beginning the season. 

IMO for as many places as we can point to say there should be improvement or at least consistent production, there's an equal number of spots for things to go south.