Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Caesars Palace Releases Over/Under Win Numbers

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BK432

BK432

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

Saving you the click, Twins are listed at 84. Which I think is totally fair right now, but it surprised me. Figured Vegas would have them lower.

Would you take the over or the under? Why?

• glunn and James like this

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

Same range they've been in since 2016. Still haven't acquired a player or 2 to take them above the 77-85 win threshold, sadly. Sucks that they're perpetually stuck in the middle.

I'll take the over and say 86 wins right now. Buxton and Sano can't possibly have as worse of a season than they did in 2018.
  • glunn, gunnarthor and KirbyDome89 like this

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,956 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

Same range they've been in since 2016. Still haven't acquired a player or 2 to take them above the 77-85 win threshold, sadly. Sucks that they're perpetually stuck in the middle.

I'll take the over and say 86 wins right now. Buxton and Sano can't possibly have as worse of a season than they did in 2018.

This is where I don't agree. Schoop and Cruz are pretty big upgrades over their 78 win counterparts, and progression to the mean for Sano and Buxton will account for a lot as well. Those guys can still be bad and be combined several wins better than last year... 

I'd bet the over if I were a betting man. 

• glunn, birdwatcher, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

This is where I don't agree. Schoop and Cruz are pretty big upgrades over their 78 win counterparts, and progression to the mean for Sano and Buxton will account for a lot as well. Those guys can still be bad and be combined several wins better than last year...

Cruz is a significant upgrade, yes. Dozier was projected to be quite good at this time last year but obviously it didn't work out.
  • glunn likes this

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:08 PM

Blue Jays, Orioles, Tigers, Royals, White Sox, Rangers, Mariners and Angels all have serious question marks.

A’s and Rays are not slam dunks to repeat last years success.

Indians are currently a significant downgrade on paper from last year.

That’s 11 teams with holes. Lots of teams are going to lose. Somebody has to pick up wins on the other side. I see no reason it can’t be the Twins.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, Blake and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#6 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

Last year's pen coughed up a ton of games. Part of that was on Molitor and Guardado IMO, so if they DO add a premier RP to help May, Rogers, Romero, Parker, and Reed, I think this factor alone is huge. If Sano and Buxton are good but not great, and given a full year of Polanco, I think the additions of Schoop, Cruz, and even Cron would force me to take the over on 84 wins.

Edited by birdwatcher, 09 January 2019 - 01:17 PM.

• glunn and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#7 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

While I mostly agree with the first part (particularly Cruz), I disagree with the second. Despite Sano's and Buxton's troubles, the Twins managed respectable performance at CF and 3B last year because the trio of Cave/Kepler/Grossman managed to keep both CF and RF basically average, and Escobar was above-average at 3B while he was there. So the Twins won't be get additional value over 2018 unless Buxton and Sano are above-average performers.

• glunn and spycake like this

#8 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:00 PM

If they add no one else I was thinking 83 wins, so under.
  • glunn likes this

#9 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Over!

#10 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

I will take the under until ownership does more than the barest minimum. If the clubhouse atmosphere still sucks, the team will still suck.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,956 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

Cruz is a significant upgrade, yes. Dozier was projected to be quite good at this time last year but obviously it didn't work out.

yeah, he was... well... terrible... and we still won 78 games. You have to come up with 6 games for a push. I don't expect 5 WAR players out of Sano and Buxton, but it won't take a lot of positive regression with the two of them to account for a good chunk of those 6 games.

The other thing is that the team is young. Most of the guys on it are likely to improve more than the regress.

That and the division is getting weaker. 

• glunn, birdwatcher and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#12 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

I will be the first to say it. Over. 90 wins.Wait, wait, did I just type that? It must be getting close to the time of pitchers and catchers reporting, I must have gotten my tickets to the Twins vs. Rays opening game of Spring Training at Ft. Myers in the mail yesterday. Oh no! It's happening again. I'm suffering from "spring training over optimism fever" Well this year I am right. I think..

• glunn, Riverbrian, Otwins and 2 others like this

#13 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

yeah, he was... well... terrible... and we still won 78 games. You have to come up with 6 games for a push. I don't expect 5 WAR players out of Sano and Buxton, but it won't take a lot of positive regression with the two of them to account for a good chunk of those 6 games.

The other thing is that the team is young. Most of the guys on it are likely to improve more than the regress.

That and the division is getting weaker. 

Isn't expecting improvement from players based on age, or expecting everything that went right for some guys in 18' to continue to go right in 19' a fallacy in the same way that expecting other negative trends (win-loss record in one run games, Buxton, Sano, ect...) to continue this season as well? It's a nit pick, but I think we see areas of easy improvement much more clearly than areas of regression. 

I'd probably take the over just based on how bad KC, Detroit, and (hopefully) the Sox will be, but it's far from a slam dunk. 

• glunn and Major League Ready like this

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,234 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

I take the under, but not by much.

Sign some relievers and you might convince me to go over.

• Carole Keller and Sconnie like this

#15 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:54 AM

That’s 11 teams with holes. Lots of teams are going to lose. Somebody has to pick up wins on the other side. I see no reason it can’t be the Twins.

Because we also have lots of holes.

• Carole Keller likes this

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

Because we also have lots of holes.

It’s gonna be a Holey War!
  • glunn likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#17 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:35 AM

It’s gonna be a Holey War!

Battle of the "who can be less bad than the other"

• Carole Keller, glunn and Riverbrian like this

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

It's the right range but it again shows how much the FO and ownership could have helped this team if they had gone after Machado. 

• Carole Keller, glunn and diehardtwinsfan like this

#19 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

It's the right range but it again shows how much the FO and ownership could have helped this team if they had gone after Machado.

I 2nd that ... and 3rd it, and 4th it, and 5th it ...

Unfortunately, that was never gonna happen, but not because they couldn’t have.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#20 scottz

scottz

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Over and over and over. That's 87 wins, gang.