Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Low Cost Bullpen Arms

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

I wanted to start a discussion about who is a good candidate to be a low cost bullpen target for our pen.I think we would be well served to get one more solid arm.I think a good candidate for this since our front office seems determined to have no money on the books for next season would be a trade for old "Proved Closer" Brandon Kintzler.I keep reading how the Cubs want to shed some salary so they can make moves this off-season.Could we get Kintzler and have the Cubs eat 1-2 million of his salary for very little in terms of prospect capital?Maybe trade McGill for him.That would give us the following bullpen set up:

Reed

May

Rogers

Hildenberger

Parker

Kintzler

Then we have Moya, Romero, Vasquez, and a lot more candidates for the last 2 slots.  

If not Kintzler, then who would be a good pen arm we can sign or acquire for under 4 million dollars?

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Why are we worried about money? I hope they pick whomever they feel is the best. They have zero players under contract past 2020.
  • Danchat and BBAM like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#3 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

Why are we worried about money? I hope they pick whomever they feel is the best. They have zero players under contract past 2020.

Agreed. The bullpen was the easiest way to make substantial improvement in this team and they are blowing it by only looking at bargains
  • BBAM likes this

#4 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

I would like to see them sign someone like Cody Allen to a 2-3 year deal and if he pitches well and the Twins fall out of contention they could flip him for some nice prospects.

• DocBauer, ChrisKnutson and BBAM like this

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

Agreed. The bullpen was the easiest way to make substantial improvement in this team and they are blowing it by only looking at bargains

I'm not willing to say they blew it. I don't know enough to say. I'd like one more signing.
  • Carole Keller likes this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#6 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:32 PM

I'm all for the Twins adding relievers on minor league deals just in case things go wrong / end up being AAA depth... but the 40 man roster doesn't need any more middling relievers. They could use another stud and they have the money to add one.

• DocBauer and BBAM like this

#7 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

I am rooting for one or two of Norris,Holland or Allen all whom I think are getting cheaper by the day.I would also grab a cheap left handed reliever. Can probably get the lefty on a minor league deal. I do agree with the previous poster who said "why are we worried about money?' But they seemed hell bent on going cheap. If you look at how many blown saves we had last year which was over 25 this is an obvious area that needs to be addressed.

Edited by Otwins, 08 January 2019 - 10:39 PM.

• DocBauer and ChrisKnutson like this

#8 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:49 AM

I wanted to start a discussion about who is a good candidate to be a low cost bullpen target for our pen.I think we would be well served to get one more solid arm.I think a good candidate for this since our front office seems determined to have no money on the books for next season would be a trade for old "Proved Closer" Brandon Kintzler.I keep reading how the Cubs want to shed some salary so they can make moves this off-season.Could we get Kintzler and have the Cubs eat 1-2 million of his salary for very little in terms of prospect capital?Maybe trade McGill for him.That would give us the following bullpen set up:

Reed

May

Rogers

Hildenberger

Parker

Kintzler

Then we have Moya, Romero, Vasquez, and a lot more candidates for the last 2 slots.  

If not Kintzler, then who would be a good pen arm we can sign or acquire for under 4 million dollars?

You get what you pay for.If we were to make it to the 1st round of the play-offs or a Wild Card game we need someone you can count on not someone where you have to hold your breath that they can make it through w/o giving up multiple runs.I am SO tired of going the cheap way and conversations about how they did in their peak years.I want a good pitcher in the prime of his career!