Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Solving Stephen Gonsalves

stephen gonsalves
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

Very salient points all the way around!
My only disagreement is your comment on 2-3yrs before he steps to the forefront.
He has learned and made adjustments at every level he has been at. Yes, there have been hiccups, and the BB for a time last season was alarming. But what did he do yet again? He made adjustments and found himself. I often find it amusing when a pitching prospect reaches the ML level, like Berrios as an example, and struggles initially, and some claim he's automatically a bust of some sort. I think Gonsalves will be up in 2019, will improve, and could be a fixture by 2020.
That being said, I honestly think Thorpe is an even better option. Here's hoping both are part of the 2020 roation.

I'm not giving up on Gonsalves yet and I think he'll improve in 2019, but the question is how much? He just doesn't seem to have the stuff. The Twins have other options so if he's valued as a throw in for a trade no big loss. I agree Thorpe is probably a much better lefty option who is getting close. Certainly has much better stuff.
  • DocBauer and Original Whizzinator like this

#42 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 5,186 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:20 AM

I'm not giving up on Gonsalves yet and I think he'll improve in 2019, but the question is how much? He just doesn't seem to have the stuff. The Twins have other options so if he's valued as a throw in for a trade no big loss. I agree Thorpe is probably a much better lefty option who is getting close. Certainly has much better stuff.

Right with you there on Thorpe. Everything from his early performance to post injury/illness performance and pure stuff tells me he is for real.

But if his debut stinks, do we proclaim he was over-hyped? Remember, Gibson had a bad debut. Then he had 2 really solid seasons on bad teams. Then he really found himself after a season and a half. Berrios really struggled on his initiation to MLB and now looks like a true #1-2 with time. Gonsalves has done nothing but adapt and produce at every level. He even adapted and produced his last few "primary starts" in 2018. He is long, lanky, LH, and has struggled with repeated delivery at times. He has also shown adaptability and pitchability at every level. So a so-so ROOKIE appearance at the ML level has convinced some he doesn't have the stuff to make it?

My goodness, can't we just let time, experience and new pitching coach Johnson just work through some things before we just say he can't make it? Ridiculous to dismiss Gonsalves at this point after a brief so-so debu6 simply because he doesn't have some singular dominating pitch.

Tweaks and experience along with opportunity, it's not hard to see Gonsalves, Thorpe and Berrios as part of the 2020 staff along with Romero and Mejia, even though a pen option remains.
  • MN_ExPat likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#43 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

1.The Berrios, Franks Viola, and the comments about debut's stinking is why I favor rushing prospects in a rebuilding environment. Get them up quicker so you can be more patient with their initial exposure to major league competition.Since you are losing games anyways, why not. It took Frank Viola two year of poor pitching and ERA's above 5.00 to become Frankie Viola, WS MVP and Cy Young candidate/winner.But because he did not spend much time in the minors and the team was truly competitive, they could afford to keep putting him out there.The Twins are in the same position now.

2.All of these glowing reports on Lewis Thorpe, I must have watched him pitch his poorest games of his career. When I have seen him his fastball wasn't anything special and his command of secondary pitches non-existent.He also looked remarkably unathletic and botched plays in the field.Then I see his overall stats and his reviews,and wonder how he is the same guy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stephen gonsalves