Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: REPORT: Twins Finalizing Deal With Blake Parker

blake parker
  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#101 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

There has been a lot of talk on this site how the Twins are sitting on piles of money, or at least how could spend at a much higher rate. While I suspect that is likely true, nobody seems to factor in the fact that this FO is spending a lot more money in areas that the previous FO did not.

Beyond beefing up the analytics department, they have also beefed up the FO in general. They have added more coaches throughout the minor league system than the previous FO had. They have a couple more major league coaches. Though other adds are more difficult to track, they seem to have added to both the scouting department, the fitness department, and maybe even people who deal with mental health.

Some of this was started by the previous FO, but money has been spent on facilities in Fort Myers and the Dominican Republic, Statcast and other tracking toys, as well upgrading the Elizabethan facilities.

I expect I may be missing other "upgrades" but the money for these things comes from the same sources even if it doesn't fit under the same category as major league player salaries. Now, I believe income for the Twins is trending up, even if attendance isn't. While I think the various upgrades undertaken the last few years were largely necessary, it is likely that this spending could very well impact, at least to some degree, the money available for free agents.

Minimum MLB salary is about $500 K. Typical free agents command anywhere from $5 to $20 mil. Just a hunch that mid level baseball operations personnel make in the neighborhood of $100 K. Maybe $150 K if they have an impressive resume. They could add 50 such people for the cost of one low rated free agent. It’s simply not a significant enough of a cost to substantially impact player payroll budget.
  • birdwatcher and Mike Sixel like this

#102 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,340 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:48 AM

There has been no official statement regarding this signing from the Twins, nor has the 40 man roster at MLB.com changed to reflect it.

Just FYI...Blake Parker is not yet a MN Twin.

• Doctor Wu likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#103 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:52 AM

At this point I am just weary of the Twins signing cast-offs from other teams and other no-name players who will probably spend most of the season in AAA. Sure, there is always the chance we can sign someone worthwhile like Astudillo who exceeds expectations, but for the most part these are underwhelming moves. Wake me when it's over.

Edited by Doctor Wu, 14 January 2019 - 07:52 AM.

#104 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,686 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

At this point I am just weary of the Twins signing cast-offs from other teams and other no-name players who will probably spend most of the season in AAA. Sure, there is always the chance we can sign someone worthwhile like Astudillo who exceeds expectations, but for the most part these are underwhelming moves. Wake me when it's over.

I'm perfectly content back-filling a roster with cast-offs but consider me less impressed when that is the majority of moves.

I'm fine with a Parker deal as the second or third bullpen acquisition this offseason... but I want at least one legitimately good arm in front of him, too.

#105 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:53 PM

Still not officially announced by the Twins, but more details:

• PseudoSABR likes this

#106 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

Still not officially announced by the Twins, but more details:

So if he makes it to Labor Day or a few days more he gets $3.2mm.Interesting way of adding incentives.I don't recall seeing this type of bonus structure.Does anyone recall seeing this with the Twins? 

Now the question is who will be departing.Will it be another reliever?Or Granite/Reed?

Edited by rdehring, 14 January 2019 - 01:00 PM.

• Dman likes this

#107 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 9,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

Seems like a lot of work to actually sit down on a call and pound out minor incentives like that. I'd say, nah thanks. But maybe the FO let an intern do it, for the experience. :) 

• Danchat likes this

#108 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

Much more favorable team deal than first reported. If he doesn't work out at some point, we can cut him at lower cost.

• birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#109 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

Am I the only person shocked when I heard it's another 1 year deal?

I hope I'm not the only member who is pleased.

• birdwatcher likes this

25% of the time you can beat anybody. 25% of the time you can't beat nobody. It's the other 50% of the time that defines you as a pitcher.

#110 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

Much more favorable team deal than first reported. If he doesn't work out at some point, we can cut him at lower cost.

Or maybe flip him at the deadline if a couple of guys are lighting it up in AAA?

• howieramone2 likes this

#111 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:52 PM

So if he makes it to Labor Day or a few days more he gets $3.2mm.Interesting way of adding incentives.I don't recall seeing this type of bonus structure.Does anyone recall seeing this with the Twins? 

Now the question is who will be departing.Will it be another reliever?Or Granite/Reed?

If we cut Addison Reed, the GM should be fired on the spot. 

Edited by Battle ur tail off, 14 January 2019 - 03:52 PM.

#112 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,373 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

Much more favorable team deal than first reported. If he doesn't work out at some point, we can cut him at lower cost.

I don't care about value. I want great players. They can cut anyone they want, as one year deals are the definition of sunk costs. Does anyone other than one poster think this is a difference maker?
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#113 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

Michael Reed, OF claimed off waivers early in the offseason.

• Battle ur tail off likes this

#114 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

I don't care about value. I want great players. They can cut anyone they want, as one year deals are the definition of sunk costs. Does anyone other than one poster think this is a difference maker?

You should care about value, too.Parker is a better player than you're willing to acknowledge; the bullpen is better with him.Given his low cost, he should not come at the exclusion of that "great player" you seek.

#115 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

You should care about value, too. Parker is a better player than you're willing to acknowledge; the bullpen is better with him. Given his low cost, he should not come at the exclusion of that "great player" you seek.

He might be, but we don't know that.
I'm hesitant about a guy that the Angels decided wasn't even good enough to keep around.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 14 January 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#116 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 28,373 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

You should care about value, too. Parker is a better player than you're willing to acknowledge; the bullpen is better with him. Given his low cost, he should not come at the exclusion of that "great player" you seek.

Still waiting for them to sign a great pitcher.....
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#117 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

He might be, but we don't know that.
I'm hesitant about a guy that the Angels decided wasn't even good enough to keep around.

We'll be paying him half of what he stood to make in arbitration.As has been demonstrated elsewhere on this board, spending big on RPers has not worked out for the team spending. We tend to disvalue quantity over quality, and often rightly so, but RPer FA market might be one place where it's better to sign a few guys, than go all in on one guy.  

• Hosken Bombo Disco and howieramone2 like this

#118 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

Still waiting for them to sign a great pitcher.....

Me too.Again, Parker does not preclude them from signing such a pitcher.No need to rag on this signing, when your issue is actually elsewhere. 

#119 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

We'll be paying him half of what he stood to make in arbitration. As has been demonstrated elsewhere on this board, spending big on RPers has not worked out for the team spending. We tend to disvalue quantity over quality, and often rightly so, but RPer FA market might be one place where it's better to sign a few guys, than go all in on one guy.

We're only paying him half if he's terrible enough to be cut, in which case no amount of money is a good value.
He was projected to make 3.1 in arbitration, we're paying him 3.2 if he's on the roster all year.

I hope he's good, and I defer to the FO, they are professionals, I'm an amateur.
But still, I can't help but wonder why the Angels wouldn't keep him around for that price if he can still be valuable. They know him better than anyone.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#120 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

Was talking about the other Reed, the outfielder.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blake parker