Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: REPORT: Twins Finalizing Deal With Blake Parker

blake parker
  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 S.

S.

• 1,150 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

Answer: Romero.

Honest question, because I don't read a lot of minor league news/stats/etc outside of stuff posted on here, but is there a reason people are so quick to push for Romero to the pen? It isn't like our starting staff is stacked and it still seems like he has the potential to be a solid starter. Am I missing some other info or what is the reason people want to move him to the pen already?

• Thrylos, diehardtwinsfan, TheLeviathan and 5 others like this

#62 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,206 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

TD has a "Blake" and a "Parker" contributing to this website. I like both of them so I'm sure this signing will be just fine. 

• Puckett34, nicksaviking, Brandon and 3 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#63 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

So who goes? Vote for Magill or Duffey, although the Twins could cut ties with Granite.

• SF Twins Fan likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#64 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

I am beginning to wonder if picking up guys that other teams made a strategic decision to let go is more than just chance. Is there some market inefficiency that the Twins are trying to exploit?

Being cheap is always efficient. Not usually effective....
  • ashbury and ChrisKnutson like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#65 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

This is an interesting writeup from November on what the Angel's pitching coach Scott Radinsky had to say about Blake Parker (and the rest of his pen).  

Scroll down a bit.

• diehardtwinsfan, Oldgoat_MN, big dog and 4 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#66 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

So who do we DFA?

Tyler Duffey, and don't think twice about it.

• diehardtwinsfan, Sconnie, ChrisKnutson and 1 other like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#67 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Tyler Duffey, and don't think twice about it.

He wouldn’t be my next to go but sign two more relievers and it might be time. The reasons I will think twice right now...

1) He has an option and can be the virtual 13th or 14th pitcher waiting in AAA to be shuttled back and forth.

2) His strike out and walk ratios remain solid and stable. Those peripherals lead to an xFIP similar to Parker and Hildenberger and much better than Magill. A reliever’s xFIP is a far better predictor for the future than ERA or FIP.

3) He has a good curve ball and I want to see how the new pitching staff can refine and utilize it.

He needs a spot on the 40 but not the 25. I would remove Magill and Michael Reed who don’t have options remaining first. I think I would also remove Granite from the 40 before Duffey.

Edited by jorgenswest, 07 January 2019 - 08:08 PM.

• birdwatcher, Dman, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#68 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

Honest question, because I don't read a lot of minor league news/stats/etc outside of stuff posted on here, but is there a reason people are so quick to push for Romero to the pen? It isn't like our starting staff is stacked and it still seems like he has the potential to be a solid starter. Am I missing some other info or what is the reason people want to move him to the pen already?

Sounds like Falvey and Levine want to move him to the pen. Per Strib, 12/11/18
  • howieramone2 likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#69 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,179 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

1. ??

2. May

3. Rogers

4. Romero

5. Reed (rejuvenated hopefully?)

6. Parker (FB velo down but still within .5 of MLB average FB)

7. ???

Assuming they trade for or sign a guy who slots up there with May and Rogers, which of the in-house candidates is an acceptable last man, and which AAA options would be acceptable injury replacements?

Moya

Vasquez

Magill

Curtiss

Hildenberger (recovered from over-use?)

Duffey

Kohl Stewart

Jake Reed

A slew of others I can't think of off the top of my head

With one more premier addition, I'd be very comfortable that we have pretty much a complete roster of fairly decent call-up options, probably more than most teams.

• big dog, DocBauer, howieramone2 and 3 others like this

#70 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:08 PM

1. ??
2. May
3. Rogers
4. Romero
7. ???

Assuming they trade for or sign a guy who slots up there with May and Rogers, which of the in-house candidates is an acceptable last man, and which AAA options would be acceptable injury replacements?

Moya
Vasquez
Magill
Curtiss
Duffey
Kohl Stewart
Jake Reed

With one more premier addition, I'd be very comfortable that we have pretty much a complete roster of fairly decent call-up options, probably more than most teams.

I would have to say Moya has a leg...errr...arm up on the competition unless Mejia isn't in the rotation. In that case Mejia to the pen, Moya to Rochester to begin the year. But to further complicate the issue, if Mejia isn't in the rotation, then I'm betting Romero is. Then we open up the discussion yet again.
  • KidBro likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#71 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Allen wasn't very good last year, but I'd still be interested. Proven is kind of a subjective word in this case, but of the guys most people would think of as "proven" Familia, Robertson and Soria were the only relievers who I am disappointed we didn't/couldn't get. Those are the big names that as far as I can tell were still productive last year, are still piling up strikeouts and apparently at full health.

Not that I don't want other relievers, just that my interest in all the rest vary and may not line up with perceived value. Buy yeah, if Parker is the best we do for the pen this year, I'll be pretty resentful.

I was also really hoping for Familia, Soria or Robertson. Still kinda upset about Robertson in particular after what he signed for. Would have taken any of those three and been pretty darn happy.

I'm pretty high on Cody Allen despite a down 2018. He just turned 30 in November. Career ERA of 2.98, (5 straight season's previously of an ERA under 3.00), career AVG of .217, career WHIP of 1.19, 3.26 career K/BB. Six straight season's of 67 or more appearances and IP. And those numbers include a down 2018. I just think he's a perfect fit unless there is some health or sudden velocity concern I am unaware of.

Holland has been mentioned, but he's 3 years older than Allen, their career numbers and quite close, but Holland seems to be on a 3 year downward trend except for his late seaskn surge with the Nationals last season.

I'm fine with Parker as a piece. Now give me Allen with all of the other pieces on hand and I'm actually pretty optimistic.
  • howieramone2 likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#72 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,436 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

I guess I don't mind this pickup- But I'm more interested in who goes from the 40?:mellow:

#73 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

Impatience... if you want my honest opinion... that and over value of relievers. I get that RPs are being seen as more important, but you still don't move a starter that is likely going to be much better than average into that role. You move a failed starter into that role. 

#74 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,487 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:29 AM

1. ??

2. May

3. Rogers

4. Romero

7. ???

Moya

Vasquez

Magill

Curtiss

Duffey

Kohl Stewart

Jake Reed

I think you can safely slot one of those names into the 7th spot. I don't think Romero should be on your list either. He's a starter, and probably the first guy called up when the inevitable injury happens. With that in mind, I'd say that Moya gets Romero's spot and Hildy moves into the 7th spot. 

Definitely would like one more FA signing for that 1st spot. That would mean we went north with a much better pen in 2019 than 2018. It will be interesting to see who closes.

• birdwatcher likes this

#75 071063

• 98 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

I like this signing.We have worse guys in our bullpen right now so this is an upgrade.Can't really argue with that.And at the price we signed him for, if he doesn't work out, the Twins can cast him off easily.

In my eyes, lots of options in the bullpen make sense.Over the course of a year, you are going to use numerous guys out of the pen.Guys you expected a lot out of aren't going to perform at the level you expected, other guys are going to come out of no where and pitch better than expected.

Options are good and Parker gives them options.A decent move.

• birdwatcher, howieramone2 and wabene like this

#76 Dman

Dman

• 1,671 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:05 AM

I think it has to do with how he tends to fall cliff as the season progresses.In AA at around 100 innings he wasn't the same pitcher.Last year when they brought him up he did well for a few games and then never was the same pitcher the rest of the year even in AAA.  

Scouts always had doubts about his arm holding up through an entire season so the idea of moving him to the pen shouldn't be a foreign idea.In the Tribune article they also mention his lack of a good third pitch.So I think the wonder boys doubt that is going to "change" much at this point in his career.

Is it too early to give up on him as a starter probably but at the same time we need help in the pen and I would rather have him there than in AAA.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#77 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 752 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

So who goes? Vote for Magill or Duffey, although the Twins could cut ties with Granite.

I'm not sure either. But factoring in the fact that we already have several outfielders that can do the AAA shuttle, I'd say that Granite might be the one they DFA.

• wabene likes this

#78 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

I think we are not thinking through what the FO plan is for the bullpen this year. I see several of these guys on the AAA shuttle all year long as they work to find out who can perform in different spots while keeping fresh arms on the roster at all times. It also gives them the option of increasing or decreasing the bench as circumstances warrant. Therefor, the guys that have options remaining will be more important than those that don't. The use of the opener could also make it necessary to move fresh arms up and down throughout the season as the opener pitches in a game and then may be shuttled down to bring up a fresh arm for the bullpen the next day.

• birdwatcher and howieramone2 like this

#79 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:44 AM

Minnesota Twins: This is How We Sign your Untendered Scraps

If Trevor May was our 12th best asset, Parker is 10th or 11th.

#80 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

I was going to say are we sure TR isn't pulling these strings?

More like Calvin Griffith.

Edited by howieramone2, 08 January 2019 - 10:39 AM.

• caninatl04 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blake parker