Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: REPORT: Twins Finalizing Deal With Blake Parker

blake parker
  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:03 PM

Unexciting but better than most players the Twins have signed after being DFA'd.

• USAFChief, TheLeviathan, Dman and 1 other like this

#22 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Decent, plus he would qualify for arbitration next season if the deal is a 1 year deal.Hopefully he is not the marquee bullpen guy we sign this year.

As another possible red flag, Angels ballpark is a pitchers park.Over that good 2017-2018 span that he had, there was a serious home/away split. 

Home 1.61 ERA

Away4.42 ERA

• birdwatcher, Dman and caninatl04 like this

#23 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

This should be the third best pen arm we sign.We're running out of options for the first and second.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Thrylos and 10 others like this

#24 S.

S.

• Members
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Considering how low our payroll is, it'd be nice if we could maybe get some actually good pitchers. As TheLeviathan said, this move is ok IF there are other better moves coming. But I doubt there are.

• SF Twins Fan and caninatl04 like this

#25 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,220 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:26 PM

Unexciting but better than most players the Twins have signed after being DFA'd.

Winner.

• jokin and Homer Hanky like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#26 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:32 PM

Trying really hard not to read too much in to the fact that 4 of the Twins acquisitions this offseason have been non-tendered by their 2018 teams.

1. CJ Cron

2. Ronald Torreyes

3. Jonathan Schoop

4. Blake Parker

The only player (check my math) signed as a free agent who wasn't non-tendered is Nelson Cruz.

• nicksaviking, Brandon, Dman and 8 others like this

#27 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Would much rather of had Herrera on his deal. Especially considering all the bullpen arms are coming off the board. Who’s left but Kimbrel for “game changers”?
  • caninatl04 likes this

#28 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

https://www.fangraph...s-bullpen-1-15/

the bullpen that ranked just below the Twins was the Angels and they DFA'd him.Not the kind of signing I was hoping for, but congratulations to the white Sox who signed Herrera. 

• Dman, KGB, SF Twins Fan and 1 other like this

#29 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:53 PM

Not a bad signing, but we still really need a closer, and the only realistic high end options left are Brad Brach, Justin Wilson, Kelvin Herrera, Hunter Strickland, Cody Allen, and Greg Holland.

If it were my decision, I’d sign Allen to close and Herrera (or Wilson) to set him up.

What happened to Greg Holland?He was a beast for about 4 years straight then last year he did nothing.Just curious if he still might have what it takes to close out games.I guess Allen would be another good option but they better do something quick as they are falling off the board fast.I think one good guy to close out games is all they really need to start the season.I'd rather they go with the guys they have for their staff and see if they can make it work.I really think if the lineup responds that they will win more games this year.If they do, then they can make a big splash for a front line starter at the trade deadline rather than go for some other #3 or #4 type starter right now.They would have the money available come the trade deadline and they have the prospects also.Just get that guy that can finish the games for now.

JMO

• ChrisKnutson likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#30 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:56 PM

Decent, plus he would qualify for arbitration next season if the deal is a 1 year deal.Hopefully he is not the marquee bullpen guy we sign this year.

As another possible red flag, Angels ballpark is a pitchers park.Over that good 2017-2018 span that he had, there was a serious home/away split. 

Home 1.61 ERA

Away4.42 ERA

Not sure if that means what it really means because Oakland and Seattle have even more pitcher friendly parks than Anaheim and they play a ton of games in Oakland and Seattle.Maybe he just pitches better at home.I guess if it is broken down by park and he did well in Oakland and Seattle but say got bombed in Boston then that would make more sense.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#31 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

I've never even heard of this guy. And yet he bores the crap out of me already. Maybe if he had a better name, like Adam Ottavino...

• USAFChief, mikelink45, SF Twins Fan and 4 others like this

#32 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

I really want/wanted one proven guy for the back end. Then, I thought a solid flier, and there have been a ton of interesting options, would make sense for depth and competition.

This is the flier.

Considering his past success, relatively young age and familiarity with the FO, is there something about Allen that we are just missing here? He should be signed within the next 48hrs if you ask me.
  • mikelink45 and ChrisKnutson like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#33 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:26 PM

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Twins are indeed finalizing a deal with Parker, saying it's a one-year deal worth slightly more than $3 million.

The Twins certainly have the extra money to spend, but I'll happily take Parker on this deal over Herrera on the deal he got from the White Sox (two-years, $18 mil guaranteed).

• Thrylos, Twins33, nicksaviking and 3 others like this

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

I really want/wanted one proven guy for the back end. Then, I thought a solid flier, and there have been a ton of interesting options, would make sense for depth and competition.

This is the flier.

Considering his past success, relatively young age and familiarity with the FO, is there something about Allen that we are just missing here? He should be signed within the next 48hrs if you ask me.

Allen wasn't very good last year, but I'd still be interested. Proven is kind of a subjective word in this case, but of the guys most people would think of as "proven" Familia, Robertson and Soria were the only relievers who I am disappointed we didn't/couldn't get. Those are the big names that as far as I can tell were still productive last year, are still piling up strikeouts and apparently at full health.

Not that I don't want other relievers, just that my interest in all the rest vary and may not line up with perceived value. Buy yeah, if Parker is the best we do for the pen this year, I'll be pretty resentful.

• Dman and SF Twins Fan like this

#35 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

Not sure if that means what it really means because Oakland and Seattle have even more pitcher friendly parks than Anaheim and they play a ton of games in Oakland and Seattle.Maybe he just pitches better at home.I guess if it is broken down by park and he did well in Oakland and Seattle but say got bombed in Boston then that would make more sense.

Whether its park factor or not, that is a pretty substantial home/away split.He had the same problem with the Cubs, which is one of the worst pitchers parks so maybe it is just a preference thing.Either way a troubling trend.

Career

Home - 1.66 ERA

Away- 5.35 ERA

#36 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

So we are so desperate for good news we are reporting rumors now?  

Are you new? JK Yes and no. Yes, we are so desperate for good news we are reporting rumors. NO in the sense that it is not a now thing. We have always been desperate for good news. and have always obsessed over rumors.

• mikelink45 likes this

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#37 Kelly Vance

Kelly Vance

• Members
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

Dumpster diving is a way of life in Minnesota

Ask any black bear

• Oldgoat_MN, Dman, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#38 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,121 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

I'm all for this signing, as I think he carries a great name that should be read in a hushed almost reverent voice.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, AlwaysinModeration and 3 others like this

#39 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Trying really hard not to read too much in to the fact that 4 of the Twins acquisitions this offseason have been non-tendered by their 2018 teams.

1. CJ Cron

2. Ronald Torreyes

3. Jonathan Schoop

4. Blake Parker

The only player (check my math) signed as a free agent who wasn't non-tendered is Nelson Cruz.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

• howieramone2 likes this

#40 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,993 posts

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Twins are indeed finalizing a deal with Parker, saying it's a one-year deal worth slightly more than $3 million.

The Twins certainly have the extra money to spend, but I'll happily take Parker on this deal over Herrera on the deal he got from the White Sox (two-years, $18 mil guaranteed).

Prediction, this quote will be rebutted more than any other post in this thread!

But unless Herrera could convince me that he could get his K/9 back over 9.0, I agree. I want guys who miss bats in the pen.

• howieramone2 and SF Twins Fan like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blake parker