Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: The Top 20 Minnesota Twins Assets of 2019: Part 4 (1-5)

brusdar graterol alex kirilloff byron buxton jose berrios royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Penthang

Penthang

• 105 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Thanks! This was an immensely fun series to read and go through the commments for. I’m sort of hoping Kirilloff reaches the majors this year. With a health and productive Cruz, Buxton, Sano, and Kirilloff along with the good versions of Schoop and Cron and a moving the needle forward version of Kepler this could be a great lineup.
  • Nick Nelson and birdwatcher like this

--Twins Fan From Texas

#42 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Larnach vs. Rooker: I think Larnach the much better prospect.

a. he is a better hitter for average

b. probably better in the field

c. much better bb/k ratio

d. power is a wash.

Mr. Larnach is getting short-changed here.

I agree, and don't think it's even close.
I guess I'm missing the boat on Rooker, but I wouldn't rank him higher than Walker and Palka were when they were in our system.

#43 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 01:19 PM

Larnach vs. Rooker: I think Larnach the much better prospect. 

a. he is a better hitter for average

b. probably better in the field

c. much better bb/k ratio

d. power is a wash.

Mr. Larnach is getting short-changed here.

You might be right (probably are) but right now all we have to go by is 177 PA in rookie-ball and Low-A. He did what you expect from a first-round bat-first college draft pick, and hasn't been meaningfully challenged yet. If he puts together a quality first full season he'll be on here. 

I agree, and don't think it's even close.
I guess I'm missing the boat on Rooker, but I wouldn't rank him higher than Walker and Palka were when they were in our system.

He's really smart and sophisticated in his mindset about hitting, and he has an uncommon ability to drive and elevate the ball, which points to sustainably prolific power. This article calls him one of the top breakout candidates in the minors for that reason. 

• Danchat and ChrisKnutson like this

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

You might be right (probably are) but right now all we have to go by is 177 PA in rookie-ball and Low-A. He did what you expect from a first-round bat-first college draft pick, and hasn't been meaningfully challenged yet. If he puts together a quality first full season he'll be on here.

He's really smart and sophisticated in his mindset about hitting, and he has an uncommon ability to drive and elevate the ball, which points to sustainably prolific power. This article calls him one of the top breakout candidates in the minors for that reason.

This is a whole 'nother can of worms. But, if he did what was expected, and it didn't tell us much, why do the Twins bother sending these advanced college bats to rookie ball in the first place? Seems like a waste of time.
  • jokin likes this

#45 BJames

BJames

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 188 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

I still have no love for Buxton.Rosario is a good all around player (bat, glove and can run) Kepler is solid defensively and at least hits for power.Buxton-Great Glove.Thats it so far.I think Rosario is proven, Kepler- if he can get the bat a little more solidly on the ball could be .265, 30HR guy.Buxton? I got nothing,30SB's? Bat 9th?I'm not a Sano guy either, but, he could hit 40Hr's.Sure most of them would mean nothing, but its not out of reach.Buxton????

#46 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,880 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:03 PM

This is a whole 'nother can of worms. But, if he did what was expected, and it didn't tell us much, why do the Twins bother sending these advanced college bats to rookie ball in the first place? Seems like a waste of time.

I wouldn't call it a waste. The first half-season after being drafted is generally about getting a guy acclimated to the pro culture and lifestyle, as opposed to putting them immediately on the fast-track to the majors. If Larnach follows the same path as Rooker next year he could potentially be poised for an early-2020 debut. 

Buxton? I got nothing,30SB's? Bat 9th?I'm not a Sano guy either, but, he could hit 40Hr's.Sure most of them would mean nothing, but its not out of reach.Buxton????

What's "out of reach" for Buxton? He hit 10 HR in September of 2016 alone. He stole 16 bases on 16 attempts in the second half of 2017. He was also named the most valuable defensive player in baseball that year. It's not like he hasn't shown his ability on the field.

#47 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

I was not particularly impressed by the Kirilloff pick but I love being wrong when it looks like this.

#48 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,864 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

I still have no love for Buxton. Rosario is a good all around player (bat, glove and can run) Kepler is solid defensively and at least hits for power. Buxton-Great Glove. Thats it so far. I think Rosario is proven, Kepler- if he can get the bat a little more solidly on the ball could be .265, 30HR guy. Buxton? I got nothing, 30SB's? Bat 9th? I'm not a Sano guy either, but, he could hit 40Hr's. Sure most of them would mean nothing, but its not out of reach. Buxton????

Rosario took a huge step forward in 2018.

His season tally was still .1 fWAR lower than Buxton’s partial 2017 season.

In all likelihood, Rosario will be the better hitter. But Buxton is better at literally everything else and it’s not close. If Buxton can stay healthy and hit his way out of a paper bag, he’s immensely valuable.
  • markos and AlwaysinModeration like this

#49 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,950 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

Nothing against Gonsalves, but I would’ve put Thorpe or Stewart in his spot.

Bingo!

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#50 dmhdale57

dmhdale57

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:39 AM

Nick: I wonder what scouts would say about Twins assets.Does Twins Daily have some relationships with scouts around the country that would be will to look over the list?If Twins were looking to make a trade for an establish MLB star and the potential trading partner was told to take any Twins asset, how would they rank the assets? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, alex kirilloff, byron buxton, jose berrios, royce lewis