Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Opening / Everyday Batting Order

buxton batting order opening day
  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

Overweight 3rd baseman

• 382 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:35 PM

I’ll go mid-season, because I am eternal optimist (don’t most Twins fans have to be to keep hanging on?).

1 - Buxton ®
2 - Polanco (S)
3 - Cruz ®
4 - Sano ®
5 - Rosario (L)
6 - Schoop ®
7 - Kepler (L)
8 - Cron ®
9 - Castro (L)
  • DocBauer, South Dakota Tom and caninatl04 like this

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

Funny how even relatively small changes can make the lineup significantly different. You add Cruz...you assume more PA's for Buxton and Sano, and you lose the two best OBP bats from the left side (even given neither was terribly productive taking into account slg).

What are we left with? A 2019 team that will be desperate for at least one more left-handed bat that can do damage...as apposed to a 2018 team that was desperate for at least one more right-handed bat that could do damage. Given that righty-righty splits tend not to be as dramatically unfavorable, this probably isn't catastrophic. But I'd really like us to work to a situation where Jake Cave isn't our third most dangerous left-handed bat.

• tarheeltwinsfan and KidBro like this

#23 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:05 PM

Here's Mine:

1.Kepler

2.Polonco

3.Rosario

4.Cruz

5.Sano

6.Cron

7. Schoop

8.Castro

9.Buxton

Here's another question...Why are the Twins NOT in on Zach Britton??We need a proven closer if we hope to contend with the Indians.If the White Sox are mentioned as a potential suitor but we're not what is up with that??Adding Britton (and we can EASILY afford him) would allow the twins to better leverage pitchers like May and Rogers, even Addison Reed.  

• howieramone2 and caninatl04 like this

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:18 PM

Here's another question...Why are the Twins NOT in on Zach Britton??We need a proven closer if we hope to contend with the Indians.If the White Sox are mentioned as a potential suitor but we're not what is up with that??Adding Britton (and we can EASILY afford him) would allow the twins to better leverage pitchers like May and Rogers, even Addison Reed.  

I'd be OK with Britton, he may not be OK with Minnesota though.

But I don't know that he's a proven closer anymore. Since he's come back from his injury he's no longer striking guys out and he's walking an obscene amount of batters. At this point he'd probably be the 2nd lefty behind Taylor Rogers.

• Oldgoat_MN and bighat like this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,875 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Here's Mine:

1. Kepler
2. Polonco
3. Rosario
4. Cruz
5. Sano
6. Cron
7. Schoop
8. Castro
9. Buxton

Here's another question... Why are the Twins NOT in on Zach Britton?? We need a proven closer if we hope to contend with the Indians. If the White Sox are mentioned as a potential suitor but we're not what is up with that?? Adding Britton (and we can EASILY afford him) would allow the twins to better leverage pitchers like May and Rogers, even Addison Reed.

It sounds like Boras is holding out for 4 years and $50 million minimum for Britton.
I can't blame the FO one but if they have no interest at those terms. He's been oft injured, and good not great the last 2 years.
If the dust settles and he comes down to 3/30, then maybe, though I'd prefer 2 years at this stage of his career.

#26 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,533 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Best offensively against a Right-Handed starter ( possibly :) )

Polanco SS

Rosario LF/RF

Cruz DH

Kepler 1B

Sano 3B

Cave RF/LF

Schoop 2B

Castro/Garver C

Buxton CF

• Doomtints and caninatl04 like this

#27 scottz

scottz

• 699 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

VS Lefty

1 Polanco S

2 Rosario L

3 Sano R

4 Cruz R

5 Cron R

6 Schoop R

7 Kepler L
8 Garver R

9 Buxton R

VS Righty

1 Polanco S

2 Rosario L

3 Sano R

4 Cruz R

5 Kepler L

6 Cron R

7 Cave L

8 Schoop R

9 Castro L

This is just the rough set up in my head, as every day should take advantage of specific matchups. And I'd like Garver/Castro to be a 60/40 split assuming health. Maybe Buxton has suddenly gained pitched recognition and never leaves the lineup and moves to the 2 spot or something. But for January 4th, this seems fine.

• South Dakota Tom and caninatl04 like this

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,982 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

It sounds like Boras is holding out for 4 years and $50 million minimum for Britton.
I can't blame the FO one but if they have no interest at those terms. He's been oft injured, and good not great the last 2 years.
If the dust settles and he comes down to 3/30, then maybe, though I'd prefer 2 years at this stage of his career.

Even at those terms I might rather have Justin Wilson if we're looking at lefties. If the team is OK with too many free passes from the end of game arms, I'd rather they weren't also relying on Polanco and Sano to make the final outs like Britton will do with his heavy sinker approach.

#29 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:59 PM

Against RHP:

Kepler L 1B

Polanco S SS

Cruz R DH

Rosario L LF

Sano R 3B

Schoop R 2B

Cave L RF

Buxton R CF 

Castro L C

Against LHP:

Buxton R CF

Polanco S SS

Cruz R DH

Rosario L LF

Sano R 3B

Cron R 1b

Kepler L RF

Schoop R 2B

Garver R C

• caninatl04 likes this

#30 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

gotta be ....
Polanco SS (s)
Cruz Dh ®
Rosario Lf (l)
Sano 3b ®
Kepler Rf (l)
Schoop 2b ®
Cron 1b ®
Castro C (l)
Buxton Cf ®
i wouldnt change it much even if Cave wins the starting job or if Garver starts against left handed pitching. I will say though if Buxton doesnt start at Target Field then he will be somewhere else. Rochester, Pensacola, or?. He wont be on the bench as a Minnesota Twin.
  • Doomtints and caninatl04 like this

#31 Channing1964

Channing1964

Ft Myers Miracle

• 397 posts
  • LocationPhoenix,Az

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

The trend now is for the highest OPS to bat second because some analyticanalyist decided they come up more times late in games....Cruz has to be the number 2 and between who's on a roll Sano, Cron, and Schoop can move up and down.
  • caninatl04 likes this

#32 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

My dream lineup, includes my dream of some of the key players, ah la Buxton to either break out or at least have consistent years.

CF Buxton R
SS Polanco S
DH Cruz R
LF Rosario L
3B Sano R
RF Kepler L
2B Schoop R
1B Cron/Austin R
C Castro/Garver L/R
  • DocBauer and caninatl04 like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#33 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:30 PM

Palonco(good OBP)

Rosario (best hitter)

Sano (would benefit the most from Cruz batting behind him)

Cruz (because he should)

Kepler (divide up righty bats)

Cron (more right/left protection)

Castro (back to lefty)

Schoop (hopefully there is someone on in front of him)

Buxton (less pressure, if he gets on it sets up the top of the order)

• Doomtints, Dr. Evil, howieramone2 and 2 others like this

#34 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,743 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

As things now stand, this is a tough exercise. The mostlogical leadoff hitter and the most alogical hitter to hit between Rosario at number two and Cruz at number four is the same guy, Polanco. We're basically short one spot regardless of which place you put him. There isn't another logical leadoff hitter on the roster and you can't leadoff a guy like Kepler because he frankly can't hit like even an average major league outfielder. you have to hide him if you want to keep them in because of his defense. I also don't see how you can put a guy like Schoop near the top of the order because he will have an OPP of .310 or less if past is prologue, so he's got to hit 7th or 8th.There's no way you can lead out Buxton until he shows that he can hit his weight during the regular season. A good spring training is nowhere near enough for me given how poorly he's hit in the past. He's got to start out at number 9. The problem is we've got a lot of guys who could hit in the 5 through 7 spots, more than two or deserve to have no higher than 8 or 9, but not enough guys to hit the 1 through 4 spots.

I think the two ways to do this are:

Polanco SS

RosarioLF

Cruz DH

Sano3B

CaveRF

Cron 1B

GarverC

Schoop 2B

BuxtonCF

I look at that and I see a lot of strikeouts between the number 4 and 9 spots, and I wonder if we can trust Sano it in the middle of the order. Here's the other way I think it might work:

Polanco SS

Cron 1B

RosarioLF

Cruz DH

CaveRF

Sano3B

GarverC

Schoop2B

Buxton CF 

For those of you that prefer Kepler to Cave, I think you can basically just change out the names or move Kepler to number 8 the order (where he should bat based on his past performance IF he starts) and move everyone else up one. Our lack of high OBP guys makes this difficult exercise.

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 04 January 2019 - 03:37 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer, Doomtints and 2 others like this

#35 Linus

Linus

• 2,271 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Looks like lots of swing and misses with the occasional solo homer. Really thought the FO had a chance to remake this team this year at bat, in the field and on the mound. I guess not

#36 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

When you have trouble slotting the 1/2 hitters in the lineup that's not an encouraging sign.

This team really needs Buxton to earn his way into this regular lineup:

Buxton

Polanco

Cruz

Sano

Rosario

Kepler

Schoop

Garver

Because if he's not hitting leadoff I might just slide the whole thing up and bat Cruz second.

• caninatl04 likes this

#37 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,265 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

I get it. But I just don't see Cruz hitting 2nd. There has to be someone...not sure who yet, could be a surprise with Rocco in charge...to team with Polanco who could give Cruz more RBI opportunities.

Willians Astudillo.

#38 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,265 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:58 AM

I'd move Sano down in the lineup. He would end too many rallies with a SO. That type of SO is so deflating. 

#39 TFRazor

TFRazor

Who's on first?

• 617 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:22 AM

Willians Astudillo.

I laughed out loud at this.... Then..... I started to think about it and it has a weird sort of logic to it.

Also just the awesomeness of watching that hair trying to go first-to-home on a Cruz double is totally worth it

Edited by TFRazor, 05 January 2019 - 07:28 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN, Sconnie and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#40 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,638 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

While some people have come close, I haven’t yet seen the correct answer, which is:

Buxton
Polanco
Sano
Cruz
Rosario
Kepler
Schoop
Castro

Buxton leads off the season with a bunt for a hit, Sano hits a two-run homer.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 05 January 2019 - 07:51 AM.

• tarheeltwinsfan and caninatl04 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buxton, batting order, opening day