Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Slegers DFA'd to Make Room for Cruz

aaron slegers
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

I only stalk idiots.

• Twins Mods
  • 23,117 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

The waiver period lasts 3 days, right? So the Twins apparently did not put him on waivers at the same time they DFA'ed him. A team has 10 days to decide what to do with someone, once they're designated. This episode is a good example of the separation between the two processes.

I thought once a player is DFA’d they have 7 days to trade him or put him on waivers. I’m not sure when he was put on waivers, but the 7 days would seem about right for him to be claimed today. Yes? No? Seth?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#62 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:21 PM

I would not put FranKKKKKKKKKKKKKKie and Slegers in the same sentence...

Not Frankie but Worely. Frankie did do better with them than he had with the Twins barring his first year with the Twins.

#63 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:53 AM

I agree that the best way to fill out the back of a rotation is by making the front of it better but that's a really risky way to play and often turns out disastrous. Pretty much all of us wanted Darvish last season and... whoops. That didn't work out so hot for the Cubs. Still lots of time left on the contract but losing the first year, the year in which you're most guaranteed the performance you paid to get, makes it very difficult (and unlikely) that the contract will ever work out for the team.

Though there's nothing stopping the Twins from making a trade for a guy they can control for 2-3 seasons.

Idc whether its FA or trade at this point. Personally I'd rather the team eat some money on a bad contract than give up young talent and have a player go bust, but we know too well how ownership feels about payroll to let that pipe dream live. Right now it seems unlikely that the rotation is addressed in any meaningful way. While I agree that it's not as pressing a matter as the bullpen, I still think it's an opportunity missed and I'd rather not watch a list of guys try to get their bearings straight at the major league level while this team is supposed to be "competing."  

#64 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:04 AM

I agree...Cruz was a bargain.

Brevity Bravo!

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#65 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,613 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

Brevity Bravo!

Cncr.

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#66 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,907 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:26 AM

Not Frankie but Worely. Frankie did do better with them than he had with the Twins barring his first year with the Twins.

well, to be fair, most AL pitchers do better in the NL. 

#67 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,907 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:32 AM

So, the REAL COST of adding 38 year old Cruz, who in reality has no defensive position and only plays DH - unless there is an emergency, is the COST of the loss of Slegers.
He was drafted in the 5th round in 2013 out of Indiana University.
He cost us his bonus payment PLUS the opportunity cost of drafting somebody else.
Then there is the cost to the organization each year.
Not only what was paid to Slegers, but also a portion of what was paid to the managers, coaches, trainers for the teams he was on as well as a pro-rated share of organization management.
2013 = Rookie, Elizabethton APPY League - Rookie
2014 = A, Cedar Rapids, Midwest League AND A+ Fort Myers, Florida League
2015 = A+, Fort Myers, Florida League AND AA, Chattanooga, Southern League
2016 = AA Chattanooga, Southern League
2017 = AAA Rochester, International League AND a cup of coffee with the Twins
2018 = AAA Rochester, International League AND a Bigger cup of coffee with the Twins

All that time, all that MONEY, all those resources just thrown away for a $20,000 waiver fee.

I'll try to respond to this with a bit less snark, and I agree that Slegers was well worth the cost of Cruz.

For one, 5th round picks do not consistently sniff the majors. There's a lot of risk in those signings. Sure, there are (or will be) guys who make MLB who were drafted after Slegers, but those guys aren't sure things. There's a ton of risk. The purpose of the teams minor league/scouting systems is to find those guys and develop them. In Slegers case, we found one and developed him probably about as much as was possible. Had he shown more upside, it likely would have been Tyler Duffey that was sent packing (or someone like that).

I have no problems with that. It's part of the MLB life cycle. You have to accept that, as you cannot hoard every marginal asset. That makes sense when you're coming off 100 losses with no end in site. It doesn't make much sense when you were a playoff team in 2017, and drastically underperformed to 78 wins in 2018. 

As has been noted in other threads, this team should be able to top 80 wins pretty easily, and 90 if things break right. Any time your signings are moving you into this bucket, I think logic dictates you go for it... especially when Cleveland is weaker on paper and the rest of the central will likely be picking in the top 10 next year.

That's also why I hope they go out and get one more reliever.

#68 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,613 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

So, the REAL COST of adding 38 year old Cruz, who in reality has no defensive position and only plays DH - unless there is an emergency, is the COST of the loss of Slegers.
He was drafted in the 5th round in 2013 out of Indiana University.
He cost us his bonus payment PLUS the opportunity cost of drafting somebody else.
Then there is the cost to the organization each year.
Not only what was paid to Slegers, but also a portion of what was paid to the managers, coaches, trainers for the teams he was on as well as a pro-rated share of organization management.
2013 = Rookie, Elizabethton APPY League - Rookie
2014 = A, Cedar Rapids, Midwest League AND A+ Fort Myers, Florida League
2015 = A+, Fort Myers, Florida League AND AA, Chattanooga, Southern League
2016 = AA Chattanooga, Southern League
2017 = AAA Rochester, International League AND a cup of coffee with the Twins
2018 = AAA Rochester, International League AND a Bigger cup of coffee with the Twins

All that time, all that MONEY, all those resources just thrown away for a $20,000 waiver fee.

In addition to points made by others, this is just not a point of view that succeeds in any form of business. You're talking about the concept of a sunk cost. All the costs you mention are involved in having a chance to develop a good major league pitcher. When it doesn't work out, it's just a cost of doing business.

I'm actually more bullish on Slegers than most here, but if the team determined he was that far down the totem pole among starters, then you cut bait with him regardless of what's been invested. That investment is gone, and what matters is the present status of the investment.

You don't decide whether to sell Sears stock because of what you paid for it. You decide based on what it's worth now versus your forecast going forward. (Well, uh, too late, for that analogy.)

• howieramone2 likes this

#69 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,613 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

So do most NL pitchers. And PCL/IL pitchers if they get the chance (in the NL vs AL, I mean).

Must be something in the water at those NL ballparks, it defies explanation.

#70 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:12 PM

That may be true but all I was saying is I wouldn't be surprised if the Pirates found a way to make him a number five starter and get more value out of him than the Twins did\will.

#71 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

Honestly, it's hard to be comfortable with very many guys making 25+ starts. Injuries happen in the pitching world. That's why I like the depth they have. It's not Slegers is gone by any means, but there are 6 other guys on the 40 man right now (Stewart, Gonsalves, Littell, DeJong, Thorpe, and Romero) with more upside and 2 more (Graterol, Wells) that could be added and called up if needed. I'm not sure that extra depth piece matters that much. 

You can add Mejia to that list if they sign another SP (which I don't think they will). 

SP depth is not the problem on this team. I'd agree that SP upside is somewhat lacking, but that's also part of why they need to get guys like Romero and Thrope on the mound in the majors. 

Absolutely, but all arms don't share an equal chance, some are more prone to injury than others. I agree that longterm Slegers was the right choice to remove, I just don't think it's particularly helpful for this season. IMO if they're going to rely on inexperienced arms to carry the back 1-2 spots in the rotation having another option, albeit limited talent wise, isn't an awful thing to have.

SP depth might not be the biggest issue but I don't think they're out of the weeds when it comes to fielding a competent rotation, at least not for playoff contention. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers