Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Slegers DFA'd to Make Room for Cruz

aaron slegers
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,237 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Good luck to him!

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 darin617

darin617

• 1,387 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

You can never have enough AAAA pitching depth right?

• Sconnie likes this

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,857 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:34 PM

You can never have enough AAAA pitching depth right?

There are many years where the median team number of starting pitchers is 10, so number 11 on the depth chart has a high likelihood of making at least one start....
I’m not sure the difference between 11 and 12 for the Twins, or even if number 12 is even in the Twins organization right now.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#24 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

It's OK if your #5 is an AAAA caliber player. It's not so good when that's the caliber of your entire starting staff and outfield defense, though Terry Ryan would seemingly disagree.

Edited by Doomtints, 03 January 2019 - 06:44 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#25 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,114 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

I am surprised it was Slegers they took off but looking at the numbers I guess I probably shouldn't be.He doesn't have overpowering stuff and a low K-9.Also when you think of the guys ahead of him (i.e. Romero, Meija, Littel, Thrope, Gonsalves, Wells) I don't think he has much of chance to get on the field in MN.

I wonder if Gardy and Detroit will give him a chance.They probably have room for someone like that.He isn't a bad pitcher just one with not much upside compared to other arms.

Maybe similar to Felix last year, this front office seems to try to sneak players through after injury-marred seasons. It's not a bad philosophy, especially with fringe 40-man roster players.

• Danchat likes this

#26 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,008 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Maybe similar to Felix last year, this front office seems to try to sneak players through after injury-marred seasons. It's not a bad philosophy, especially with fringe 40-man roster players.

Was wondering that too... his injury late last season might have some teams hesitant to put in a claim.

#27 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,807 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

I hope he get signed by the Cleveland Indians so the Twins have to face him.Good Luck Aaron, you were never given a real chance by this FO

I would like to see what he can do with an extended look in the majors.

#28 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,787 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

Slegers is a low k, high contact rate pitcher.I don't know if there is that much there to make a better pitcher. 3.54 minor league ERA, he has value. The question is does he have 40 man roster value? If it were not the launch angle, elevate generation he could be Carl Pavano 2010. The 15% HR/fb and a 40% fb rate is a killer. I would predict he is back in Rochester. Never say never, as starting pitching gets thin. PNC or AT&T park might be a good fit

Edited by old nurse, 06 January 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Lots of fluff left. Just goes to show, a minor league star means littell toward being a major league roster holder. Granite still rock solid and survives another cut. That's what amazes me.

Edited by h2oface, 06 January 2019 - 03:49 PM.

#30 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:15 PM

There are many years where the median team number of starting pitchers is 10, so number 11 on the depth chart has a high likelihood of making at least one start....
I’m not sure the difference between 11 and 12 for the Twins, or even if number 12 is even in the Twins organization right now.

I think they have the kind of depth you mention. Assume that neither Romero or May would be under consideration to be stretched out:

Starters: Berrios, Gibson, Pineda, Mejia, and Odorizzi

AAA: Stewart, Gonsalves, De Jong, Littell, and Thorpe. All but Thorpe have seen MLB action. All are rated as B grade prospects by Sickles, who grades Slegers a full grade lower than any of them.

After that, The next tier would be guys like Alcala, Wells, Eades, Felix Jorge, and Poppen. All of those guys except Alcala are graded as C types like Slegers by Sickles. It's unlikely they'd fast-track Graterol, or Duran, but not impossible if they're both logging innings in AA by then.

I think it's safe to say Slegers is a surplus asset.

Edited by birdwatcher, 06 January 2019 - 05:17 PM.

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

#31 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

It's OK if your #5 is an AAAA caliber player. It's not so good when that's the caliber of your entire starting staff and outfield defense, though Terry Ryan would seemingly disagree.

I think you're being a little unfair. 

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 22,613 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

I would like to see what he can do with an extended look in the majors.

On another team, sure.
  • birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and GCTF like this

#33 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,787 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Trolling or do you really believe that?

#34 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,699 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

I think you're being a little unfair.

From a Nick Nelson article on this very site, posted today:

"The five pitchers to receive the most starts for Minnesota were Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey, Scott Diamond, Sam Deduno and Pedro Hernandez. Opening Day starter Vance Worley posted a 7.21 ERA in 10 starts and was gone a year later."
  • h2oface likes this

#35 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,123 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:43 PM

From a Nick Nelson article on this very site, posted today:

"The five pitchers to receive the most starts for Minnesota were Kevin Correia, Mike Pelfrey, Scott Diamond, Sam Deduno and Pedro Hernandez. Opening Day starter Vance Worley posted a 7.21 ERA in 10 starts and was gone a year later."

From Doom: "It's OK if your #5 is an AAAA caliber player."

If he's describing the 2019 rotation as anything either close to AAAA or anything like that rotation from five years back, I think he's being unfair, don't you?

#36 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,352 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:37 PM

Here's good for depth, but the Twins will have a full rotation at Rochester as well as other arms needed to advance by mid-season.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#37 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,699 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

From Doom: "It's OK if your #5 is an AAAA caliber player."

If he's describing the 2019 rotation as anything either close to AAAA or anything like that rotation from five years back, I think he's being unfair, don't you?

Yes, that would be.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were replying that it was unfair to claim that ever happened under Ryan.
  • birdwatcher and h2oface like this

#38 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 174 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:15 AM

Let's assume Slegers clears waivers, or maybe he doesn't and he's gone. Let's assume the Twins don't have a spot for him in the rotation. We don't have to assume Duffey has pretty much failed to be a reliable pitcher. So, what is wrong with giving a guy like Slegers a chance in the bullpen over a guy like Duffey. Talk is to move Romero to the bullpen. Slegers doesn't deserve the same chance? If Duffey takes the mound even once for the Twins in 2019 over giving guys like Slegers a chance this FO needs their heads examined. Might as well sign Belisle and BIg Sexy again.

#39 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Formerly nasu1970

• 943 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

Good luck to Aaron Slegers.He's given the organization a lot of good innings to almost the top of the ladder.However, it's good to see the front office replace a lesser talent with a proven one, even though it's on the other side of the ball.We've become accustomed to rooting for too many of these types of players to play above themselves. You occasionally get the good story and definitely get the fun moments (e.g. LaMarre's walk-off hit in the 16th in P.R.).But, a quick look at the 2012 pitching staff will show you what over-betting on too many of these types tends to return.

Hopefully, someone like Cody Allen or Kelvin Herrera can be brought in to push Matt Magill off next.

Edited by nasu1970, 07 January 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#40 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

Yes, I am still bitter about Terry Ryan's second extended vacation tenure with the team.

I realize my comment is out of place and will try to stay on topic. :P

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers