Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Slegers DFA'd to Make Room for Cruz

aaron slegers
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

The Twins announced today that Aaron Slegers was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster for Nelson Cruz. Slegers would need to clear waivers in order to remain in the system.

Slegers was the Twins Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2017 and came out of the gates hot in 2018, earning Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Month honors for April. Unfortunately, he was only able to make 19 appearances between Triple A and the Majors, logging a total of 99 innings in 2018.

Slegers has a 5.90 ERA in 29 innings with the Twins the past two seasons. In 39 starts at Triple A, he posted a 3.54 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and while his K/9 rate was a modest 6.8, he also had a very impressive 1.8 BB/9.

• Dance with Disco Dan, mikelink45 and nclahammer like this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,128 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

Very likely will clear waivers and be in AAA to start the season.  

Probably about #12 in the pitching depth as far as rotation goes behind 

Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi, Pineda, Mejia, Romero, Stewart, Gonsalves, Littell, De Jonge, and even Thorpe. 

Edited by Thrylos, 03 January 2019 - 01:49 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN, LA VIkes Fan, mikelink45 and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 Surelock

Surelock

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:49 PM

I hope he get signed by the Cleveland Indians so the Twins have to face him.Good Luck Aaron, you were never given a real chance by this FO

• mikelink45 likes this

#4 Dman

Dman

• 1,671 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

I am surprised it was Slegers they took off but looking at the numbers I guess I probably shouldn't be.He doesn't have overpowering stuff and a low K-9.Also when you think of the guys ahead of him (i.e. Romero, Meija, Littel, Thrope, Gonsalves, Wells) I don't think he has much of chance to get on the field in MN.

I wonder if Gardy and Detroit will give him a chance.They probably have room for someone like that.He isn't a bad pitcher just one with not much upside compared to other arms.

Edited by Dman, 03 January 2019 - 01:57 PM.

• scottz, LA VIkes Fan, mikelink45 and 2 others like this

#5 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,164 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

I'm not so sure he won't be snagged to provide AAA depth for someone else. He's certainly not entirely without value even though he probably would have had only an outside chance at a spot in the Rochester rotation.

Useless trivia: He has the third most game action of any of the 5th round players from that 2013 draft, just behind some "infielder" named Johnny Fields. The most impressive guy from that round sports a .3 WAR so far. Typical 5th round, and Slegers has been better than typical, just not good ENOUGH.

He was #11 on the Twins rotation depth chart anyway, and that's assuming Romero and May remain in the pen and you exclude AA guys like Wells, Graterol, and Alcala.

• Monkeypaws, mikelink45, Dman and 1 other like this

#6 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,631 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

I always hope the players we release will go somewhere and shine (but not because I want them to show up the Twins - its just that good players often get crowded out).I like the idea of Detroit.They took cast-off Twins - John Hicks 260 .312 .403 and Niko Goodrum .245 .315 .432 and did quite well with them last year. He can join Francisco Liriano in the rotation. 

#7 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 497 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:14 PM

Too bad, this guy saved my 2019 OOTP season...

180 IP, 2.45 ERA.

• ashbury, Seth Stohs, snepp and 2 others like this

#8 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

Someone will pick him up. He logged 14.5 innings a year which is hardly enough to close the book on him.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#9 Dman

Dman

• 1,671 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

I'm not so sure he won't be snagged to provide AAA depth for someone else. He's certainly not entirely without value even though he probably would have had only an outside chance at a spot in the Rochester rotation.

Useless trivia: He has the third most game action of any of the 5th round players from that 2013 draft, just behind some "infielder" named Johnny Fields. The most impressive guy from that round sports a .3 WAR so far. Typical 5th round, and Slegers has been better than typical, just not good ENOUGH.

He was #11 on the Twins rotation depth chart anyway, and that's assuming Romero and May remain in the pen and you exclude AA guys like Wells, Graterol, and Alcala.

For a 5th rounder and someone who was never a top 30 prospect I would say he definitely exceeded expectations.I still like him and think he has chance as a 5th starter mainly because of his WHIP.He has improved his consistency as he used to be very up and down from one outing to the next.MLB hitters are tough though and I don't know if he even has a plus pitch.I hope we get to keep him but I think another team could pick him up.

#10 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Too bad, this guy saved my 2019 OOTP season...

180 IP, 2.45 ERA.

Doesn't seem likely for a non-knuckleballer whose fastball sits around 90-91 MPH.

Edited by Doomtints, 03 January 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#11 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,667 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:23 PM

This is probably best for him.He should get picked up somewhere and have another chance to succeed.

• LA VIkes Fan and Surelock like this

he gone!

#12 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,149 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

This is fine, though I still have no idea why Duffey is still on this roster. Slegers simply doesn’t have MLB quality stuff.
  • LA VIkes Fan, Dman and rv78 like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#13 TheMatt

TheMatt

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 60 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

Finally.It's been a week. Kind of thought it would be an outfielder.

• Dman likes this

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

This is fine, though I still have no idea why Duffey is still on this roster. Slegers simply doesn’t have MLB quality stuff.

Surprisingly, Duffey's fastball velocity has increased every year. He might have a breakout year in 2019 or 2020.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

I don’t think Duffy will still be on the roster after they sign two or more pitchers.

I still have some hope that he can be an effective reliever given his strikeout and walk rates as well as his curve ball. His career major league xFIP is 3.85. He has an option. I would bet on his career going forward over Slegers or Magill but if all are designated as a result of adding free agents I won’t object. Granite and Reed are position players in this same group on the fringe of the 40.
  • birdwatcher and beckmt like this

#16 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,721 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Sorry to see anyone get the dreaded DFA but I think we have to be realistic about Slegers. He's a fringe MLB pitcher at best -a 4th or 5th starter on a non-contending team who they get rid of when they find someone who can make them better. More lilely a long reliever on a non-contending team. He's exactly the kind of guy who we should DFA and repalce with someone better if we really want to contend. He isn't alone on the Twins 40 man roster (I'm looking at you, Tyler Dufy). 

The good news is we think we have 10 or 11 starters in the organization better than Slegers. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 03 January 2019 - 03:08 PM.

• birdwatcher, BK432, beckmt and 2 others like this

#17 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• 497 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

Doesn't seem likely for a non-knuckleballer whose fastball sits around 90-91 MPH.

Typical video game numbers...

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 03 January 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#18 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,463 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:23 PM

That's surprising as I thought they would DFA a position player.So the roster now sits at 20-20.Will probably move at least one position player when they begin signing relievers.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,681 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:40 PM

Very likely will clear waivers and be in AAA to start the season.  

Probably about #12 in the pitching depth as far as rotation goes behind 

Berrios, Gibson, Odorizzi, Pineda, Mejia, Romero, Stewart, Gonsalves, Littell, De Jonge, and even Thorpe. 

I think this is the primary reason that Slegers made the most sense. Couple in the fact that he can remain in the system if he does clear, and it's probably the right thing. 

• beckmt and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#20 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,625 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

He does generate a good downward plane.

Good luck to you sir, hope you land on your feet with another chance at the dream.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers