Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Vikings Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#441 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,530 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

Not good.

Who knows, they could be rotating long snappers and holders. It still would be nice not to have to worry about kickers... But, you know, it's the Vikings.

#442 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Who knows, they could be rotating long snappers and holders. It still would be nice not to have to worry about kickers... But, you know, it's the Vikings.

He was 4 of 6 the day before. At some point, it's him.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#443 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• Twins Mods
  • 23,586 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:25 PM

But, you know, it's the Vikings.

He was 4 of 6 the day before. At some point, it's him.

tenor.gif

• Mike Sixel likes this

So, in conclusion, what was your question again?

#444 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Twins Mods
  • 10,816 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

So what’s this stuff I heard on Barreiro about the new snapper sweats too much and Cousins can’t grip the ball after the center has handled it? I’m sure it’s nothing and mostly in fun, but the excuses this team (really, all Minnesota (male) sports teams).. the excuses these teams use to hedge their future performance will never cease to amaze me.

I’m so old, I remember when the Twins manager, front office and media were stating their concerns about all the scheduled off days this past April and the team not having a chance to get into a rhythm. Somehow, the players persevered. :)
  • Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#445 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, Dan Bailey looks like he's going to be the next kicker to get replaced midseason. I'm not sure why they didn't at least bring in a few UDFA kickers to push Bailey...

• Mike Sixel likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#446 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,530 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, Dan Bailey looks like he's going to be the next kicker to get replaced midseason. I'm not sure why they didn't at least bring in a few UDFA kickers to push Bailey...

They just brought in a dude to push both Bailey and Wiley.

• Danchat likes this

#447 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,970 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:37 PM

My complaint has been answered:

A 5th rounder for a kicker is a pretty high price, but I'm glad they paid it. Vedvik has been brilliant for the Ravens in practice and in their preseason games. 

@Vanimal, I know Vedvik is a punter too, but I think they'll keep both him and Wile on the roster. Wile had a very good 2018 season, and I doubt he replaces him as the main punter. Bailey is the one who's getting chased out of here IMO.

• obtusebanter likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#448 obtusebanter

obtusebanter

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

I found this old comparison to Wil Lutz encouraging:

"As current New Orleans Saints kicker Wil Lutz did in training camp two years ago, when he was a relative unknown out of Georgia State, Vedvik has so far gone virtually toe-to-toe with Tucker, a two-time Pro Bowl selection."

https://www.baltimor...0802-story.html

#449 Bavarian

Bavarian

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

Didn't the spend a 5th on Carlson?Well, at least it wasn't a 2nd like the Bucs bust.

#450 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

Most fifth round picks never play a meaningful down. It's not a high price to pay, if he's good.

#451 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,530 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

It's hard to analyze preseason games, but here's my take aways so far:

Mike Boone should win the #3 RB job, maybe even the primary backup. Dude has some big play ability.

Sloter should win the backup QB competition. Mannion is terrible. If Kirk is injured for more than a couple of games it's going to be tough to win any games.

The defense looks old and declining.

#452 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

Here you go:

https://www.theringe...ensive-identity

#453 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:42 AM

It's hard to analyze preseason games, but here's my take aways so far:

Mike Boone should win the #3 RB job, maybe even the primary backup. Dude has some big play ability.

Sloter should win the backup QB competition. Mannion is terrible. If Kirk is injured for more than a couple of games it's going to be tough to win any games.

The defense looks old and declining.

I'd guess the D is declining. But that's partly because that's about the only way it can go.....I have a bad feeling about this window, but then, as a Vikings' fan, I should always have a bad feeling.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#454 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,530 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'd guess the D is declining. But that's partly because that's about the only way it can go.....I have a bad feeling about this window, but then, as a Vikings' fan, I should always have a bad feeling.

I think the window slams shut after this year and it'll be a rough 2020...

I don't see the D line generating a lot of pressures this year. It will take a huge bounce back year from Griffen who's getting up there in football age.

#455 Bavarian

Bavarian

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:15 AM

Wow, some real Debbie downers here. What are we basing this decline on exactly? They're too old? They're in their prime. The door shuts in 2020? I only see one player named - Griffen. Is he done? Based on what? They haven't even played a game yet.   I really hope you're not basing this off of preseason. 

If you guys are basing all these dire predictions on last year's team, that's not good enough. They were great in 2017. Historically good on 3rd downs. In preseason thus far, they are forcing FG's vice TD's with the 2nd/3rd string. Where's the trending data? The offense had low time of possession in 2018 which directly affected the defense. Granted, teams ran on the defense with success compared to 2017 but Sheldon is gone and Stephen returns. Joseph had three surgeries so we know he wasn't himself.  

My personal opinion is that we saw a poorer result from the defense as the offense sputtered often.  No running game to speak of to rest the defense and a lot of 3-and-outs which again, didn't rest the D.Add to that a lot of playing from behind. When Shurmur was moving the chains and the offense was scoring, this made the defense doubly effective as they could take chances and were fresh.We have roughly the exact personnel we did in 2017 and IMO, not one of them is playing past their prime.  I'm certain Zimmer has done his studying this offseason to see how those prolific offenses with LA Rams and Chicago attacked his defense last year. I expect to see a bounce back.

Edited by Bavarian, Yesterday, 10:19 AM.

#456 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 3,570 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

The saving grace for the Vikings will be Aaron Rodgers declining, and the ineptitude of the Bears offense.... combined with the Lions being run like the Lions. The lack of real high powered offenses in the division will help mask the decay of personnel on the defense.

You ask who is past their prime? Anthony Barr, Xavier Rhodes, Everson Griffen, Harrison Smith, Linval Joseph... All these guys are declining. Maybe some young players will step up this year.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#457 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 30,022 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

After all these years, I don't care about anything other than a Super Bowl win..... Any other win and loss record doesn't really matter
  • Mr. Brooks likes this