Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Vikings Off-Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,155 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

Time to dig deep and find out what went wrong with this team.

I want them to look at every aspect of the offense and determine what the main culprit is for the failure. I have a suspicion it all boils down to having a bad OL, but I'm not an elite NFL mind to know for sure.

Last year Keenum masked a bad OL and extended a lot of broken plays. It's fair to say IMO Cousins can't do that. So they need to change strategy and build a great OL to mask a slightly above average QB. Similar to what they did in 2012 to mask a terrible Christian Ponder.

This team still has a ton of talent, and only a few holes. My priority list:

- OL (1/2 OG, or 1 G and 1 C so Elflien can slide over to guard)

- TE - Rudolph should either restructure his contract or get released. I prefer released.

- DT - I don't think Richardson was worth the money. Look to the draft to replace him for a much reduced cost

- LB - Barr will get paid elsewhere, which is fine with me.

Thoughts?

#2 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,155 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

Oh, and find an OC that can build a relationship with Cousins, since we're stuck with him no matter what for the next year or 2.

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

Two new starting OL. Even competent play would be a huge upgrade. Spielman should be fired for the fact his OL has been awful every year since the good players left. He's drafted poorly, and been bad at signing free agents on the OL. And it was totally predictable.

Hire an OC that can stand up to Zimmer, and runs a modern offense. I'd prefer to trade or fire Zimmer, but that's not happening.

Cut Remmers. Cut sendejo. Either everson and Rudolph take pay cuts, or they are gone. Same with linval. I'd keep Richardson over him.

Fire the special teams coach, as he's been wrong on every kicker and punter.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 31 December 2018 - 02:11 PM.

• diehardtwinsfan, TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this
Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

Oklahoma's Cody Ford.That's who I want with the first pick.I think you could probably land another guard like Dieter in the third.But who knows, linemen flew off the board last year. 

Josh Oliver might be an interesting target in the draft at TE.Here's an early name at OLB I like: Vosean Joseph out of Florida.

But I very much agree with your rankings.Here's the upside - having only four needs is not bad.Downside?The FA class of linemen is god awful.Which, makes sense really.Linemen in the NFL are awful by and large.

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

Two new starting OL. Even competent play would be a huge upgrade. Spielman should be fired for the fact his OL has been awful every year since the good players left. He's drafted poorly, and been bad at signing free agents on the OL. And it was totally predictable.

Hire an OC that can stand up to Zimmer, and runs a modern offense. I'd prefer to trade or fire Zimmer, but that's not happening.

Cut Remmers. Cut sendejo. Either everson and Rudolph take pay cuts, or they are gone. Same with linval. I'd keep Richardson over him.

Fire the special teams coach, as he's been wrong on every kicker and punter.

What Mike said.Not a word in this I disagree with.

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,155 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:12 PM

Evidently the upcoming draft class is loaded with DL, particularly DT. With that being the case, I'd rather allocate Richardson's money elsewhere.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:22 PM

Evidently the upcoming draft class is loaded with DL, particularly DT. With that being the case, I'd rather allocate Richardson's money elsewhere.

So, pass on OL help again on day one? Great. Good luck. Rely on a bad free agent class, and late picks? Super.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:37 PM

So, pass on OL help again on day one? Great. Good luck. Rely on a bad free agent class, and late picks? Super.

I think he was suggesting you could replace Richardson in the second or third round and reallocate that money.Maybe to the offensive line.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:08 PM

I really don't think it's that hard to ID the problem. We need to fix the OL but realistically the Vikings were in a lot of games that they lost (or tied) and a competent OL would've changed the season quite a bit. I have no idea how to fix the OL but a quick look at some draft rankings suggest that there are a lot of OG to pick in the second and third rounds but would be reaches in the first round. I wouldn't oppose a stud left tackle but guard seems to be the priority.

I agree that the Vikings need a offensive coordinator who can forge a good relationship with Cousins but I'm not sure that's not the guy we already have.

I don't want to lose Anthony Barr. He was so good his first two seasons and he isn't playing at that level anymore but he's still really good. 

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,155 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

No I meant it's very deep and they can find a potential starter later in the draft. I want to draft OL with the first 2 draft picks at least.
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#11 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:24 PM

I really don't think it's that hard to ID the problem. We need to fix the OL but realistically the Vikings were in a lot of games that they lost (or tied) and a competent OL would've changed the season quite a bit. I have no idea how to fix the OL but a quick look at some draft rankings suggest that there are a lot of OG to pick in the second and third rounds but would be reaches in the first round. I wouldn't oppose a stud left tackle but guard seems to be the priority.

Last year there were a lot of projected 2nd roundguards too....and almost all of them went in the first and early 2nd. 

There is a serious scarcity of good linemen.Because of that, I would be cautious about those rankings.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:36 PM

With Rhodes,Hughes, Alexander, and Hill....would dealing Waynes make sense?

Might net a nice draft pick for him.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:00 PM

With Rhodes,Hughes, Alexander, and Hill....would dealing Waynes make sense?

Might net a nice draft pick for him.

I'd rather deal Rhodes..... But I'd consider a trade, yes. But only for an IOL or DL.

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,155 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

Maybe the Raiders are interested in draft picks for one of their OL. I've always been a fan of Osemele and wish the Vikings signed him 2-3 years ago when he hit FA for the first time... Otherwise Rodney Hudson or Gabe Jackson would be great too.

Edited by Vanimal46, 31 December 2018 - 06:33 PM.

#15 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

I'd rather deal Rhodes..... But I'd consider a trade, yes. But only for an IOL or DL.

Rhodes would be more difficult due to the cap hit.There would be none with Waynes.

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

Rhodes would be more difficult due to the cap hit. There would be none with Waynes.

But Waynes only has one year left in his deal. He's as good, younger, and healthier. I'd take the hit, if I can squeeze it in.

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,750 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:21 PM

Maybe the Raiders are interested in draft picks for one of their OL. I've always been a fan of Osemele and wish the Vikings signed him 2-3 years ago when he hit FA for the first time... Otherwise Rodney Hudson or Gabe Jackson would be great too.

Agreed. They should have signed him when he was a free agent.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:05 PM

But Waynes only has one year left in his deal. He's as good, younger, and healthier. I'd take the hit, if I can squeeze it in.

I just can't see the team retaining him. If they dealt Rhodes, you'd be taking a 6M cap hit for several seasons.

Practically speaking,you can't do that.

#19 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

Last year there were a lot of projected 2nd roundguards too....and almost all of them went in the first and early 2nd.

There is a serious scarcity of good linemen. Because of that, I would be cautious about those rankings.

Will Hernandez was still sitting there in the first, and they passed.
I don't know how he finished the year, but around week 12 or so, he had the highest grade PFF had ever given to a rookie guard.
No matter who is taken, and who is still sitting there, Spielman has to identify who can play, and I'm not sure he can, since he passed on Hernandez who we desperately needed.

#20 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:03 PM

I just can't see the team retaining him. If they dealt Rhodes, you'd be taking a 6M cap hit for several seasons.

Practically speaking,you can't do that.

Wait, when you trade a player, the other team doesn't have to take on that player's cap hit? That makes no sense.