Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Toolshed: The Best Tools In the Minor Leagues

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

Does Bechtold give pitching a try if the bat doesn’t come to life any better in 2019?
  • ChrisKnutson likes this

#22 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

Would plate discipline be considered a tool?? If so, than LaMonte Wade and Ryan Costello belong in that category right next to Kirilloff, Lewis, Larnach, Baddoo, and Arraez.

#23 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 04:56 PM

Would plate discipline be considered a tool?? If so, than LaMonte Wade and Ryan Costello belong in that category right next to Kirilloff, Lewis, Larnach, Baddoo, and Arraez.

Not technically. Hit, power, run, throw, field are the five tools.
But neither is athlete, which is in the article.

#24 dgwills

dgwills

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

One position that I'm worried about in the near future is catcher. What's the verdict on our catching prospects in the minors? In addition to being able to hit, which catcher has the best tools? Good arm, pitch framing, the usual arsenal of stuff.

Well, Brian Navaretto has two honorable mentions on these lists. Let me just check his hitting real quick............................Eh............Nevermind

#25 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:14 AM

Kiriloff to me is the guy to be excited about because he has hit like a house on fire wherever he goes.I am not terribly interested in hearing about how "athletic" a guy is if he is hitting .275 in A ball.The ability to run fast is a nice trait to have, but if you aren't a great hitter in the minors then......sorry.....I am just not getting that excited until you hit.

The hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball.There are tons of athletes who cannot hit.We need a few HITTERS.Not sure if Lewis is there, but he is still young. 

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 06:47 AM

I am far more concerned about the pitching than the hitting.Twins seem to be able to develop decent hitters, pitching well.Tools there will be fastball speed, control, command of secondary pitches, etc.  

#27 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:20 AM

Ryan Jeffers should be on the Power list and I think Nick Gordon belongs on the honorable mention for best athlete.