Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Kicking the Tires on Kikuchi

yusei kikuchi
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 972 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

Well the way for teams to handle that is by not offering those guys anything, that as a result will drop the value of their offers from those west coast teams because they won't have any competition for those players and soon they won't like the value of their offers anymore. Let them corner themselves out of the market. I mean if we all already know they won't sign, why bother?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#42 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,716 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:27 AM

Well the way for teams to handle that is by not offering those guys anything, that as a result will drop the value of their offers from those west coast teams because they won't have any competition for those players and soon they won't like the value of their offers anymore. Let them corner themselves out of the market. I mean if we all already know they won't sign, why bother?

You'd still have 6 teams bidding, which is plenty. It only takes 2 teams to drive up a price.

#43 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,068 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:27 PM

I’m not sure I follow the logic...make it cheaper for west coast teams? How does that help the Twins?
  • ashbury likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#44 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 396 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

He went to the M's debate over.

Edited by akmanak, 01 January 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#45 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,278 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

He went to the M's debate over.

B8zpLfkCUAArmtZ.jpg

It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. -- Arthur Conan Doyle

#46 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,250 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:01 PM

per Passan, ESPN

The novel contract could see Kikuchi in Seattle for as few as three years and as many as seven, according to sources. The base deal is for three years and $43 million. Following the 2021 season, the Mariners can trigger a four-year, $66 million extension. If they decline to do so, Kikuchi either can trigger a $13 million option for the 2022 season or elect free agency. The deal guarantees $56 million and can be worth as much as $109 million.

#47 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

It's an interesting contract. Good for Seattle. No surprise to anyone he's on the West coast. Can't fault the Twins here at all.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#48 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,008 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

Dang. To the M's...

Rock...And....Roll - Kikuchi-koo

Lawdy mama light my fuse

Edited by nater79a, 01 January 2019 - 07:35 PM.

#49 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 564 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:33 PM

Sooo this means we’re signing Keuchel right??
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#50 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,731 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

Sooo this means we’re signing Keuchel right??

If this team is still rolling with Sano and Polanco on the left side of the infield, they'd be insane to want anything to do with an expensive sinkerballer who can't miss bats.

• SQUIRREL and ChrisKnutson like this

#51 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Ft Myers Miracle

• 264 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

If this team is still rolling with Sano and Polanco on the left side of the infield, they'd be insane

You could've stopped right here

• SQUIRREL, nicksaviking and Sconnie like this

#52 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,279 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:00 PM

If this team is still rolling with Sano and Polanco on the left side of the infield, they'd be insane to want anything to do with an expensive sinkerballer who can't miss bats.

What's a better solution, or are you condoning not adding more starters this year? Which is a fine stance, just curious

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#53 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,319 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

It's an interesting contract. Good for Seattle. No surprise to anyone he's on the West coast. Can't fault the Twins here at all.

If only Norway and Sweden started developing stud ballplayers. As much lutefisk, pickled herring and Swedish meatballs as you want....

#54 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,714 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

The fact that Polanco is over at short bugs me.We were so in love with Dozier that we had to do that.

#55 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:06 AM

The fact that Polanco is over at short bugs me.We were so in love with Dozier that we had to do that.

Whatever the reasons for it, it was what it was. But I do agree Polanco needs to move to second and I’d prefer he did it this year and not sit on our thumbs waiting for Lewis. Get Polanco established at 2nd BEFORE Lewis comes up. So I want them to trade for or sign a legit SS now ... there’s still one available on the FA market, but the White Sox are closer to signing him than we are. The White Sox.
  • Sconnie likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#56 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• 4,925 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:13 AM

If only Norway and Sweden started developing stud ballplayers. As much lutefisk, pickled herring and Swedish meatballs as you want....

it seems like we have/had the market on German, Dutch, and Australian players.... too bad none of those countries have leagues competitive with Japan

#57 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,731 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

What's a better solution, or are you condoning not adding more starters this year? Which is a fine stance, just curious

I would condone not adding any sinkerballers, they're not a fit for this team. Nor any team that thinks intentionally putting the ball in play is a bad idea.

The free agent starters were brutal this year, I wouldn't have wanted to add one just for the sake of making a move. I don't know, maybe take a chance on Gio Gonzalez or Clay Buchholz if they have any desire to come here. Otherwise, yeah, I don't see any of those free agents making the team any better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yusei kikuchi