Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Kicking the Tires on Kikuchi

yusei kikuchi
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 609 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

I wonder if the extensive scouting was done by any of the same scouts who scouted Nishi?

The problem with Nishi is that they based everything on one year. He was a mediocre hitter except for the one outlier. Kikuchi has a track record.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, gagu and 1 other like this

#22 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,229 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 24 December 2018 - 02:05 PM

We have money to spend. Kikuchi is in his prime, and likely wants to maximize his value. I say we go for it.

• beckmt, Danchat, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#23 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,654 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

I bet he won't take a 1 year deal, so the Twins are out.

Good news is he will take a one year deal with the Twins. Bad news is the one year will be 2029.

• USAFChief, darin617, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#24 Minny505

Minny505

Elizabethton Twins

• 41 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

MSP is one of the few non-west coast airports to have daily direct flights to and from Tokyo. That should eliminate that hurdle.

Now to convince him that the weather really isn't THAT rough April, May September and October...

• jokin likes this

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

I wonder if the extensive scouting was done by any of the same scouts who scouted Nishi?

The guy who scouted Nishioka is currently suing the Twins for age discrimination.
  • Sconnie likes this

#26 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

The guy who scouted Nishioka is currently suing the Twins for age discrimination.

The signing of Nishi is the Twins' defense to the law suit.

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan, Twins33 and 1 other like this

#27 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 752 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

Good news is he will take a one year deal with the Twins. Bad news is the one year will be 2029.

Sad to say, but this could be the most accurate post on this subject thus far.

#28 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:15 AM

I’d rather we sign Keuchel, another Boras client, who actually has a (solid) track record in the MLB (unlike Kikuchi), plus WS experience (and a ring to show for it). Besides, building a relationship (sucking up) with Mr. Boras wouldn’t be such a bad thing considering Lewis and Kirilloff are represented by him as well, could really help us out in the long term when the time comes for extensions for those two. Unfortunately, the FO is deciding to be cheap this offseason, despite all the quality options available, so the likelihood of us signing either are extremely low.

I see very few quality options. Too many still confuse free agency with Christmas, which it hasn't been for years. Free agency is the market of last resort for most teams.

#29 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,539 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:17 AM

I see very few quality options. Too many still confuse free agency with Christmas, which it hasn't been for years. Free agency is the market of last resort for most teams.

Kikuchi would be a quality option. :)
  • USAFChief, James, Oldgoat_MN and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#30 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 610 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

I think it's great for the Twins to see what they can do on Kikuchi. What do we think the contract would have to look like to get him here (not seeing a lot of numbers here).

You have to assume it'd be north of what Mikolas got, right? Is he going to want to go a shorter term to a) see if he likes it in the US, and B) set himself up for a really big, Darvish-style deal? or is it going to be longer out the gate? (bigger risk for everyone: the teams takes on risk not being certain how he'll translate to MLB, he takes risk on being underpaid not knowing how he'll translate to MLB...)

3 years, $42M?2 years, $30M? More? less?

I'm definitely interested: LHP who should be hitting his prime and could fit in well with Berrios and could easily be better than Gibson. (that's what I want for starting pitching for the Twins: better than Gibson) Rotation of Berrios, Kikuchi, Gibson, Pineda, and Odorizzi seems pretty solid. Maybe Romero goes to the 'pen this season to work on his offerings and be a power arms who can go 2-3 innings? Gonsalves and Stewart are the next dudes up for the inevitable injury?

He could be a great fit. Let's take a run at it.

• Don Walcott likes this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

They should still try, buy its not gonna happen.
He going to go to a market with a more significant Japanese community, like San Francisco, LA, Seattle, or New York. He's not going to Minneapolis.

#32 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,766 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 08:12 AM

Giving a guy like this a multi year deal is suicide for us. Never pitched a day in the majors. How do we even begin to understand what he can do in this arena? I know zilch about this guy yet there are people who know slightly more suddenly excited to sign him. I don't get it other than it puts a little attention on us for making a mid-level international signing. It's almost like some want the Twins to make news.

Pitching in Japan doesn't really translate here. There is a reason why very few Japanese pitchers make it here. The ball is different, the hitters are different, the rotations are arranged differently, travel isn't as much of a factor, the language and cultural barrier is big, etc...
It's a big jump for a Japanese pitcher to make and I know nothing of this guy but his numbers and a few write ups. Brilliant job by the poster earlier in this thread who's seen him play. He admitted he had an interest in him coming to the Twins (mostly so he can see more Twins baseball in Japan).

i just want the Twins to be better. I can't realistically say this guy accomplishes that. I know nothing about him. I have to do a whole lot of research to even begin to understand if he's an exception. I won't assume he is

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,837 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

His 30 day negotiation window closes on Jan 3rd so we'll see how hard they kicked those tires.
  • ken likes this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:36 PM

Man, I was sure they were going to sign him.....
  • Sconnie, ken and KirbyDome89 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 386 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:33 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the Twins made a competitive offer, unfortunately that type of offer has virtually no chance of getting Kikuchi to sign. The only way that Minnesota would even have had a chance would be if they made an offer substantially higher than any of the west coast teams (which I'm fairly sure wasn't going to happen).

#36 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,229 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:30 AM

Apparently, it is possible to sign a top free agent to a big contract while a team is rebuilding. Imagine that.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,837 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:45 AM

$14 million AAV. Apparently out of the budget here.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#38 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,625 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

That contract makes my head hurt. Or maybe it was the champagne.

I didn’t think there was any likelihood the Twins would sign Kikuchi. Also ok with that. Would much rather see them sign a couple of solid RPs. (Britton and Ottavino would probably be too much to hope for?)

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 7,865 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Or, he was always going to sign for a market with a large Japanese culture, as I predicted a few posts up.

I don't think there is a remotely reasonable offer that the Twins could have made that would have even gotten a response.
The new posting rules are great for the Asian players, but terrible for every team that's not in LA, NY, Seattle, or San Francisco.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#40 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,862 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

Pitching in Japan doesn't really translate here. 

Ohtani, Tanaka, Maeda, and Darvish.....

Those are only current Japanese pitchers in MLB. I think some just want to the Twins to add talent. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yusei kikuchi