Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Flying

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:44 PM

I hate Southwest. That is all
  • glunn likes this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:59 PM

I hate Southwest. That is all

Really?Relative to the rest of em...I find them by far the most tolerable.

• USAFChief and glunn like this

#3 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:03 AM

I don’t like flying to begin with for a number of reasons, but I hate the open seating. While getting a boarding number and lining up to board in a civilized queue makes the process seem smoother, I like knowing I have an exact seat ... aisle close to the front ... and can board with my group or later or last.
  • glunn and Vanimal46 like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:26 AM

I don’t like flying to begin with for a number of reasons, but I hate the open seating. While getting a boarding number and lining up to board in a civilized queue makes the process seem smoother, I like knowing I have an exact seat ... aisle close to the front ... and can board with my group or later or last.

The open seating has backfired on me in the past because I am that guy that wants to be the last person boarding an airplane.

My favorite airlines, ranked:

Southwest
Delta
American
United

Getting hit by a bus

Frontier

Never fly Frontier unless the flight is less than an hour.
  • glunn likes this

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

Spirit was even worse than Frontier for us.But yeah, that's pretty much my rankings too.

They're all terrible.We need a "complain about terrible customer service" thread.Because I would like to argue how Comcast is good and Centurylink may be the most evil organization this side of the Republican party.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 23 December 2018 - 08:57 AM.

• glunn likes this

#6 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

The open seating has backfired on me in the past because I am that guy that wants to be the last person boarding an airplane.
My favorite airlines, ranked:
Southwest
Delta
American
United
Getting hit by a bus
Frontier
Never fly Frontier unless the flight is less than an hour.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on Frontier, but I’m wary of flying either them or Spirit ... Spirit is a definite no. And haven’t ever tried Allegient as they don’t fly into Chicago and just aren’t convenient.

But I fly American a LOT. And have been since when I lived in Canada. They were the best way in, out and around. The only thing about American that makes me grumble is when you can use and how much air miles are but I have never had a bad experience with dealing with them or with a flight ... and that’s 20 years of service. I rarely take Delta because they aren’t non-stop out of Chicago to anywhere I travel, except the occasional flight I take to MSP. United was always a mixed bag for me but I rarely end up flying with them anymore as they are usually the most expensive. Southwest isn’t always the least expensive anymore, either. And I’ve taken neither Virgin America or Jet Blue. What other carriers are out there?

I haven’t flown internationally for a while now, but JAL was great last I used them. KLM was always good. Had very good service on LOT, too. Lufthansa would be my low end. I’m pretty sure I’ve flown Swiss Air, too, but don’t recall anything about them. Anyone used SAS or Icelandic Air?
  • glunn and Vanimal46 like this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

My work booked a flight for me to Charlotte on Frontier and knowing what I know now I would have paid the difference to use any other airline. They had plastic bucket seats with maybe 1/2 inch of cushion on it. Most uncomfortable 2.5 hr flight I've been on.
  • glunn likes this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,796 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:27 PM

We're on Southwest in a couple weeks, I'll try to remember to let you know how exciting it was.....

• glunn likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#9 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

The seats you want are the seats everyone wants*. To get them on American, you generally have to pay first class or business class, or else book early and pay probably higher than if you waited, or else get lucky. Southwest offers the option of paying extra for boarding early in the coveted A-group. I think it all comes out about the same.

* OK, half want window, half want aisle, everyone wants front of the plane.

• glunn likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,437 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

Anyone used SAS or Icelandic Air?

We flew SAS from LAX to Stockholm in June and SAS business class was the best I have ever experienced. Everything was excellent -- the lounge, the seats, the food and the service. I would gladly fly SAS anywhere. 

• LaBombo likes this

#11 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• 8,345 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:48 PM

I haven’t flown internationally for a while now, but JAL was great last I used them. KLM was always good. Had very good service on LOT, too. Lufthansa would be my low end. I’m pretty sure I’ve flown Swiss Air, too, but don’t recall anything about them. Anyone used SAS or Icelandic Air?

JAL is a solid airline though wound very tight about security on my last flight with them. But their tail logo looks like the red thingy on Luke Skywalker's helmet, so maybe call it a wash.

KLM is a Delta partner that provided excellent service on my recent flights with them.

Lufthansa is fine if you're not the sort who's prone to their name causing you irrational fears that your flight to Amsterdam will make a slight detour en route for a simulated bombing run over London or Coventry.

Icelandic... have you ever taken one of those bar hopping shuttle buses for a bachelorette party or sporting event? It's kind of like that, but without the option to ask the driver to pull over and let you out.

Edited by LaBombo, 23 December 2018 - 09:58 PM.

• glunn likes this

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:17 PM

I fly Southwest whenever possible. Easily the best airline choice IMO.

Check in electronically exactly 24 hrs before departure time. You’ll be in late A group or early B, and you’ll get a good seat.

No charge for luggage, friendly staff.
  • Musk21, TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:00 PM

I read in USA Today today that airlines were getting ripped for charging extra on "preferred" seats over the holidays. When I flew on American I had to pay $32 more for an aisle seat in row 17. No additional leg room or anything like that. I just prefer aisle seats.

Hopefully this extra charge doesn't become a trend in the future.

#14 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,930 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

Hopefully this extra charge doesn't become a trend in the future.

That's so naive it's adorable.
  • SQUIRREL, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 2 others like this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:30 PM

This should be 100%. If it's not a red-eye flight keep your seat upright.
  • #1ShaneMackFan likes this

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,350 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

This should be 100%. If it's not a red-eye flight keep your seat upright.

Consider me in the 59 percent who don’t care what you think.

My seat is going back, and staying back.
  • AlwaysinModeration likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,959 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

If I was sitting behind you get used to my knee driving into the back of your seat :)
  • TheLeviathan likes this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,748 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:39 PM

I usually leave my seat upright, at least until the jerk sitting in front of me reclines his and I need the space. :)

(BTW the article which leads off "the past couple of weeks have seen a spate of confrontations among air travelers over reclining seats" is from 2014.)

• Vanimal46 likes this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,662 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

Seat, meet sock :)
  • Vanimal46 likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#20 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 24,821 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:14 PM

Seat, meet sock :)

And speaking of socks on an airplane, someone sitting in my vicinity took off their shoes. Another reason I hate being enclosed in this metal tube hurtling through the night sky with my nearest and dearest friends for 3+ hrs.

I hope that’s not you, Hosken...
  • Sconnie and Hosken Bombo Disco like this