Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

REPORT: Twins Sign RHP Mike Morin

mike morin
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,286 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:41 PM

/yawn/
  • jokin, Vanimal46 and Dave The Dastardly like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#22 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,824 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

/yawn/

But wait.... There's more!

He's one of us.
  • USAFChief likes this

#23 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,604 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

But wait.... There's more!

OK: /Ho hum/

• USAFChief and Vanimal46 like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#24 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

All teams make signings like this during free agency, so there's no reason to overreact and assume Morin is going to be given a role on Opening Day. Let's hope for some bullpen moves soon... hopefully soon.

• ashbury, glunn, Twins33 and 3 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#25 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

Per Brandon Warne, confirmed via Darren Wolfson who says the reliever will get a spring training invite:

Actually an interesting signing, and not just because Morin's an Andover, MN native. At age 27, he has logged 174 innings in the majors with a 3.32 FIP and 1.28 WHIP. Big buy (6'4" 220) and doesn't throw too hard but has a nice changeup, which he leans on heavily. 

Have the Twins found their next Matt Magill?

Ala Mike Pelfry?

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,667 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:37 PM

Just a still young bullpen arm for Rochester depth which lightening could strike and turn him in to a useable arm. Nothing to get excited nor upset with.

I do chuckle when he is compared to Magill. Magill may not be anything special, but he was actually a decent piece in 2018 for his role. But for a "dumpster diving" addition, I still find him interesting. His FB sits consistently in the 93-95 range and his slider can just be wicked! Unfortunately, there were also games where he just walked too many guys or coughed up a dinger.
  • glunn, Twins33 and Danchat like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#27 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,392 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:13 PM

Interesting. The Twins either have guys that they expect to play into the future with the team, or guys that HAVE to play to increase their worth in the marketplace...all filling up 40-man spots. You could probably say that the ultimate "fluff" on the current 40-man are basically Granite, and maybe Slegers and one of Magill or Duffey. That's about it. Unless you sign a major league free agent, is there anyone that you will grab as a minor league free agent that is better, or shows more promise, than anyone already being paid 40-man money. 

Spring Training will be interesting.

Also, the Twins have been light in signing minor league free agents. Granted 10-12 guys from the 40-man will fill up the roster roster. There are worthy names at AA that need to advance. There are always injuries. I hope the Twins do push more "prospects" rather than fill up AA/AAA with castoffs from other teams. They added a lot of depth last season in those mid-season trades, some international grabs and all...kinda heavy in bodies at A/A+ ball for the moment.

Of course, veteran minor league guys do get an invite...pitchers come early to camp most of the time anyways. The biggest thing is cutting guys rather sooner than later (sending to the minors) in case they get injured in spring training while in major league camp. If they do, they collect major league roster money!

• glunn likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:49 AM

I'm starting to question the logic of getting new blood in the front office just to do the same thing.

It is still early but I think the current roster is largely who we can pencil in. Don't bet against Trevor May being the next closer.

• Mike Sixel and beckmt like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#29 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,703 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:52 AM

I'm starting to question the logic of getting new blood in the front office just to do the same thing.

It is still early but I think the current roster is largely who we can pencil in. Don't bet against Trevor May being the next closer.

There are still 3 or 4 moves to be made. Romero is more likely to close more than May next season.

This is what Theo refers to as a small move. Every team, every year makes many, many of these moves. No need to exaggerate what is obviously a routine move.

• glunn and birdwatcher like this

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:52 AM

I know every team makes these moves. Let's just say I have a hunch. You should have a hunch too. Even if you don't agree with all of these points, you probably agree with two or three of them:

1) The owner said he doesn't see the team as having much to spend this year.

2) Falvey/Levine said they learned their lesson about signing players late as they may show up unhappy about their situation and not play well. It's not "late" yet, sure, but they won't wait long after signings start en masse (which should be soon), assuming they wait for the big teams to start making moves before picking up the phone.

3) The press is reporting the Twins are all but done with signing people this year and pieces have been written about the internal options the Twins will use in relief. Not all of these articles were written in a vacuum.

4) St. Peter and Pohlad probably still have bitter memories about Bill Smith's obsession with signing relief pitchers and might be skeptical about the whole process, and might want Falvey/Levine to do the exact opposite of point #2 and instead wait until the last minute to pick up whoever is left (and cheap). Who wins that standoff and what's the end result for the team? Contrary to popular belief, good relief pitchers are not cheap, though the deals are shorter.

Edited by Doomtints, 20 December 2018 - 12:42 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#31 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,764 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:17 PM

If he bombs he's going to a nickname he doesn't want

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:52 PM

Has anyone they signed to a minor league deal not made the team the next year? Seems like a lot have....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#33 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,150 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:20 PM

Has anyone they signed to a minor league deal not made the team the next year? Seems like a lot have....

Minor league deals in 2018: (Player - Made team at some point?)

Willians Astudillo - Yes

Myles Jaye - No

Ryan LaMarre - Yes

Bobby Wilson - Yes

Gregorio Petit - Yes

Brock Stassi - No

Taylor Featherston - No

Nick Buss - No

Jordan Pacheco - No

Jermaine Curtis - No

Matt Magill - Yes

Andy Wilkins - No

Chris Heisey - No

Anibal Sanchez - No

Erick Aybar - No

• jorgenswest, glunn, birdwatcher and 3 others like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:36 PM

Minor league deals in 2018: (Player - Made team at some point?)

Willians Astudillo - Yes
Myles Jaye - No
Ryan LaMarre - Yes
Bobby Wilson - Yes
Gregorio Petit - Yes
Brock Stassi - No
Taylor Featherston - No
Nick Buss - No
Jordan Pacheco - No
Jermaine Curtis - No
Matt Magill - Yes
Andy Wilkins - No
Chris Heisey - No
Anibal Sanchez - No
Erick Aybar - No

I should have been more specific, as in, if they were in AAA to start the year. But that was really interesting! Thank you.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,798 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:29 AM

I should have been more specific, as in, if they were in AAA to start the year. But that was really interesting! Thank you.

It doesn't change a whole lot. Heisey and Aybar retired after being cut. Sanchez after many years found the motivation to pitch.

#36 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,286 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:46 AM

It doesn't change a whole lot. Heisey and Aybar retired after being cut. Sanchez after many years found the motivation to pitch.

It means a third of the minor league signees last year appeared for the Twins.

That seems like sort of a big deal, to me.

• SQUIRREL and Sconnie like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#37 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,195 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:43 AM

Those who live near the Morin will eventually end up in the Morin. 

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#38 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,798 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

The comment I responded to was about the lit and that he should have been more specific to the minor league signing that started in AAA.That list does not change appreciably with the subtractions I listed, hence no big deal. Sorry I have to more wordy to let you understand the meaning of the post.

Last year the Red Sox used 4 players who were signed as minor league contracts. That the Twins used 5 is no big deal. Teams do use players signed to a minor league contract.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#39 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,667 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:34 PM

The comment I responded to was about the lit and that he should have been more specific to the minor league signing that started in AAA.That list does not change appreciably with the subtractions I listed, hence no big deal. Sorry I have to more wordy to let you understand the meaning of the post.
Last year the Red Sox used 4 players who were signed as minor league contracts. That the Twins used 5 is no big deal. Teams do use players signed to a minor league contract.

The problem wasn't that they used 5 guys signed to milb contacts. As pointed out, the Red Sox used 4 themselves!

Magill, IIRC, began the season in Rochester along with everyone but LaMarre. Magill as actually a nice surprise, at least when used for his best role as a long/middle/mop-up man. Astudillo turned out to be a nice surprise and I think he's got a good shot at being a nice reserve piece for the team. Wilson, Featherston, Pettite were all injury fill-in, not guys who were to be counted on. Wilson probably never sees a day last season if Castro doesn't hurt his knee.

The problem wasn't milb FA invites making appearances. That's what they are supposed to do when someone gets dinged up. No, the problem was the quality of the guys they brought in. I still feel like they just dismissed the Rochester roster last season.

Note: Pettite actually played decently when given his time. Why they rolled through Featherston or Motter for even a day still baffles me.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#40 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,798 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:02 PM

The problem wasn't that they used 5 guys signed to milb contacts. As pointed out, the Red Sox used 4 themselves!

Magill, IIRC, began the season in Rochester along with everyone but LaMarre. Magill as actually a nice surprise, at least when used for his best role as a long/middle/mop-up man. Astudillo turned out to be a nice surprise and I think he's got a good shot at being a nice reserve piece for the team. Wilson, Featherston, Pettite were all injury fill-in, not guys who were to be counted on. Wilson probably never sees a day last season if Castro doesn't hurt his knee.

The problem wasn't milb FA invites making appearances. That's what they are supposed to do when someone gets dinged up. No, the problem was the quality of the guys they brought in. I still feel like they just dismissed the Rochester roster last season.

Note: Pettite actually played decently when given his time. Why they rolled through Featherston or Motter for even a day still baffles me.

Max Muncy was a minor league signing... Never know what you get

• DocBauer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mike morin