Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kyler Murray

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

Why would you ever wish bad things for anyone?

More about Boras getting less money and that he manipulated Murray to try to get himself paid.

#62 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,229 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

Jackson sure showed us how good of a QB he is when they played the Chargers in the playoffs.

7th career start and 1st playoff game... He had a good 4 game stretch to end the regular season.

#63 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

The NFL is preposterously slow to drop unfounded, pre-conceived notions.The "you have to have a 6'5 QB" is one such notion.  

He is short for the position, but what matters is what he can do with his arm.  

Also, it should be noted, he played behind an NFL sized OL.Didn't seem to make it hard for him to throw....

#64 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:46 PM

Kyler is 5’10” if you’re generous, and under 200 lbs. He’s small even by Russel Wilson standards, and not just his height but his overall build. It’s fair to be concerned about translating that to the NFL’s level of physicality, but I’m interested to see if he can do it. The game needs more exciting QBs.

It’s also hard to blame a guy for chasing the quick money and playing time of the NFL rather than grinding for years in the minors, getting his service time manipulated, then getting slow-rolled in MLB free agency at 30+ years old. Who knows what free agency will look like in MLB going forward, but the game changes at such a glacial pace that I wouldn’t count on a smooth transition to a new model that favors the players.

Edit: got names mixed up

Edited by Taildragger8791, 11 February 2019 - 09:20 PM.

• Mike Sixel, TheLeviathan, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#65 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,727 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:02 PM

More about Boras getting less money and that he manipulated Murray to try to get himself paid.

You think Murray doesn't want football? That he's a puppet of Boras? Based on what?

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. Oh, and I have at least one blog post now......The table on my first blog post is now fixed. Sigh.

#66 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:03 PM

Not one of the people that this contact was referring to had any racial or size bias. That was a huge question he asked directly to them. It was a lot of his lack of comfort in the pocket, his inconsistent throwing mechanics, and his exceptional natural instincts on the move with the ball.

Much like Murray's baseball scouting consensus is that he's a long shot to even make the big leagues, yet you'd think he's a guaranteed prospect. He's much more raw than most high school players right now.

• Danchat likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#67 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His OPS?

• Members
  • 12,229 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

Not one of the people that this contact was referring to had any racial or size bias. That was a huge question he asked directly to them. It was a lot of his lack of comfort in the pocket, his inconsistent throwing mechanics, and his exceptional natural instincts on the move with the ball.

Much like Murray's baseball scouting consensus is that he's a long shot to even make the big leagues, yet you'd think he's a guaranteed prospect. He's much more raw than most high school players right now.

Those are fair criticisms... I'm too used to reading people wanting to move black QBs out of their position for unsubstantiated reasons. It's not like Murray is the best QB prospect to come out of college in years. I do buy into his abilities and think he's going to be a good QB in the league...

I could certainly be wrong about him too... I thought Johnny Football was going to figure it out and be good too!

#68 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

After a lengthy labor strike in 2021 maybe. Until then, we're going to keep seeing the same garbage over the last 2 off-seasons.

It evens things up for mid-market teams. I hope it never changes. 

#69 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:14 AM

I see the A's have appropriately compensated for Murray's absence by signing Robbie Grossman

#70 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:23 AM

If Murray is drafted high in the 1st round he's already making more than his MLB draft bonus. And if he does well in the NFL to get that coveted 2nd contract he's making more than he ever would in baseball.

I agree with this. Outside of his signing bonus there is no guarantee that you'll ever make a penny in the majors. We've seen it a thousand times...hitting is hard.

I see it as a matter of where he's drafted. If he's drafted high enough, he'll make a TON of money in the NFL no matter how he ends up performing. I think it's possible he would end up making more money in baseball in the long term...but the NFL is by far (again, if he's drafted high enough) the less risky from a financial standpoint.

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#71 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 22,624 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

I agree with this. Outside of his signing bonus there is no guarantee that you'll ever make a penny in the majors. We've seen it a thousand times...hitting is hard.

The hitting in the NFL can be hard too, or so I have heard.

• jkcarew likes this

It is amazing how many eggs one can break without making a decent omelet.

#72 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

Sigh... And the cycle of never believing in black QBs continues. Lamar Jackson was supposed to be a WR too according to scouts.

Maybe not the best comp. Jackson had serious questions about his ability to throw coming out of Louisville, and if anything his rookie season showed why. Baltimore ripped off a nice win streak at the end of the year, but it was the defense and running game (of which Jackson was a part of) that carried the team. 

Baltimore is fully committed after dealing Flacco today. We'll see how it turns out, but IMO Jackson is going to have a hard time sticking in the league as a pedestrian passer with a crazy high run usage.