Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kyler Murray

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

This kid is quite the athlete. He went 42-0 in high school and won multiple Texas state championships. After agreeing with the A's to play 1 season of college football he wins the Heisman, and gunning for a national championship.

Will he end up choosing baseball considering how successful he's been as a QB?

#2 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hard to say, as it was reported by MLB (I believe) that it was in his contract to give up football after this year. There would almost have to be some provision in said contract that would require him to forfeit his rather hefty bonus should be violate said terms of the contract.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

I know NFL teams aren't as staunch in their demands that QBs be 6'5" anymore, but he is just so short. I know he's been good, but I think his height would normally keep any team from drafting him in the first round and then if they have to worry about baseball, no chance he goes high enough to give up his huge payday with the A's.

#4 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:03 AM

I know NFL teams aren't as staunch in their demands that QBs be 6'5" anymore, but he is just so short. I know he's been good, but I think his height would normally keep any team from drafting him in the first round and then if they have to worry about baseball, no chance he goes high enough to give up his huge payday with the A's.

With Brees and Wilson tearing up the NFL under 6 feet tall I would hope height isn't a factor anymore. Then again, there are still a lot of stubborn coaches in the NFL that still salivate over a 6'6" 'traditional' QB.

Murray throws a beautiful pass and a lot of fun to watch at Oklahoma. Personally I'd rather see him under center instead of trying to find his way through the minor leagues.

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,330 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:19 AM

Hard to say, as it was reported by MLB (I believe) that it was in his contract to give up football after this year. There would almost have to be some provision in said contract that would require him to forfeit his rather hefty bonus should be violate said terms of the contract.

He'd forfeit the bonus, but the A's wouldn't get a comp pick like teams normally do when a player doesn't sign.

I wonder if the A's could offer him more money after next year's draft (or, when they'd no longer be penalized for exceeding their bonus pool).
  • MN_ExPat likes this

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,758 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:52 AM

Get you knees and head busted up, or make millions playing baseball where he might hurt his arm....hmmmm.....

Have. Not of. Have a great day.

#7 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

This just posted on MLBTR this morning...

Heisman Trophy winner and A’s draft pick Kyler Murray pointed towards the Athletics as his future destination, telling reporters (including KFOR.com’s Dylan Buckingham) Wednesday that, “As of right now, I’m going to play baseball. That’s about it.” 

Murray had given some recent indications that he could reconsider an NFL career in the wake of his star performance as Oklahoma’s quarterback this season, though yesterday’s statement would seem to indicate that he is ultimately preparing to join the Athletics’ farm system once his collegiate career is over. 

Scott Boras, Murray’s agent, also more or less said as much when speaking to MLB.com’s Jane Lee and other media members Wednesday at the Winter Meetings.“When you win the Heisman Trophy, you are going to have a lot of information come to you and be looked at,” Boras said. “All I know is Kyler has a tremendous opportunity to be a great baseball player. He knows that, and I think that opportunity is already in place. He has every intention to be in Spring Training and advance that interest.” 

Murray was the ninth overall pick of the 2018 draft, and his A’s contract (which included a $4.66MM bonus) allowed him to play football for Oklahoma this season.

Edited by MN_ExPat, 13 December 2018 - 09:59 AM.

• gunnarthor likes this

#8 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:27 AM

Murray is 5’ 9”, which would make him a very short QB. I think the shortest starter is 5’ 11”... I understand his decision to play in the MLB over the NFL.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:41 AM

I hope he picks Baseball. I think he'll be a pretty exciting player and baseball needs more of them. Plus it's just safer than football.

• Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:44 AM

I hope he picks Baseball. I think he'll be a pretty exciting player and baseball needs more of them. Plus it's just safer than football.

The way the NFL is changing rules catering to QBs are we sure baseball is safer than football?
  • gunnarthor likes this

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

The way the NFL is changing rules catering to QBs are we sure baseball is safer than football?

Ask Alex Smith.
  • SF Twins Fan likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

Ask Alex Smith.

Of course there's one extreme example. For the most part QBs have been more healthy than ever. A QB may miss a couple of weeks but Smith is the only one this year to go on IR.

Ask Joel Zumaya if baseball is safe for his arm.

#13 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,758 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:18 PM

We have no idea how bad their brains are hurt by repeated blows. I would bet every penny I have that baseball players live healthier lives than football players.
  • gunnarthor, beckmt, bluechipper and 2 others like this

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 6,245 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:29 PM

Of course there's one extreme example. For the most part QBs have been more healthy than ever. A QB may miss a couple of weeks but Smith is the only one this year to go on IR.

Ask Joel Zumaya if baseball is safe for his arm.

That's not one extreme example.
Smith's backup also broke his leg, Teddy Bridgwater was minutes away from emergency amputation, Carson Wentz currently has a broken back.

Zumaya isn't remotely comparable to Smith. One guy could no longer play baseball, the other may struggle to walk again.

No matter how much they coddle the QB, it's still a contact sport. I don't even consider which one is more dangerous to be a legitimate debate.
  • bluechipper likes this

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,427 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

I kind of assumed this was tongue in cheek but even with the safer rules, we've seen a four QBs get knocked out for the season already - the Colt McCoy and Alex Smith with Washington, Bengals Andy Dalton and Jimmy Garrapolo (sp) in SF. (actually, it looks like two more QBs - Luke Falk and Brad Kaaya - are out for the season as well. I've never heard of either. And we'll see if Wenz joins them with his broken vertebra).

But I think the repeated physical trauma of being in the NFL, even for QBs, is more harmful than pitching (not that he's a pitcher anyway). 

Edited by gunnarthor, 14 December 2018 - 10:31 AM.

• Mike Sixel and SF Twins Fan like this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,758 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:29 AM

if you are interested in legal articles:

https://www.fangraph...plays-football/

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#17 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,702 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 11:11 AM

Which will he choose? Hmm ... maybe Bo knows ... 🤔
  • ashburyjohn and James like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#18 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

The San Francisco Chronicle reports 2018 Heisman Trophy Winner and 2018 Oakland A's first-round draft pick Kyler Murray will enter the NFL draft.

In and of itself, entering the draft would not necessarily mean Murray was foregoing his baseball career, but A's beat writer Susan Slusser reports he would be expected to focus on football if he did so. Super agent Scott Boras had previously insisted that Murray planned to report to A's spring training next month. Now that appears to be up in the air. We will gain more information in the coming days. Were Murray to commit to football, he would have a shot at coming off the board on Day 1.

#19 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

Good for him. I think he can make a lot more money in the short term with football.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,802 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

I'd be curious if he could two sport it. I've got to think that the A's were prepared for that possibility when they let him play football this season. Question is who would sign him and where he'd fall in the NFL draft should that be the condition... He would almost have to sit as a backup his first year given that he couldn't attend much training camp. 

Thinking about this for a second, but the Cardinals with their 1 overall pick and a coach that just last year said he'd take Murray with 1 overall might not be a bad fit. Rosen could run with it next year and could get traded if he looks reasonably competent.