Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Buxton: "Pissed" at Twins for No Call-Up Decision in 9/2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
330 replies to this topic

#1 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:52 PM

According to the Star Tribune, Byron Buxton is displeased with the Twins after not being called up in September of 2018. According to Byron Buxton himself, in the article's video, he said he is "pissed". 

Byron Buxton's 2018 accomplishments: 

* 4 DL trips

* Multiple migraines

* Blurred vision

* Broken toe
* 134 games missed
* 28 games played
* 0 HR
* 4 RBI
* .156 BA
* .383 OPS

Byron Buxton has no real gripe here. He did absolutely nothing in 2018. He was completely clueless at the plate. 

I've got to say, though. I loved that video. Buxton actually broke the boring cookie cutter mold and said what he thought. Actually really respected that response. Sounds to me like he believes in himself. That is good to hear. Buxton says he has an "edge" to him after that? Great. Let' me see it.

Show me what you're all about, Buck. I'll root for you. 

• glunn, Thrylos, Jerr and 19 others like this

#2 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 4,192 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:17 AM

Good for Buxton. Now put up or shut up. Time's up. Tic toc.

• Thrylos, Jerr, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:28 AM

The fact that he's engaged suggests that his use of "pissed" isn't so much directed at the Twins as the circumstances, probably including himself.  

I hope this signals he's motivated to be the player we all believe he's capable of being.

• Carole Keller, glunn, Jerr and 8 others like this

#4 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:45 AM

I could not possibly disagree more with the initial post. He pretty surely lost time and money by not getting a month of baseball with a team that wasn’t playing for anything. Like, what are you talking about?
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 5 others like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:57 AM

Depends on how this plays out.If there is no chance he stays here, the Twins have really messed things up if he ever figures things out (read Aaron Hicks) only Buxton has a chance to be much better.Hope the Twins get a line on this in the offseason, because it can become an issue soon.

#6 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:42 AM

I could not possibly disagree more with the initial post. He pretty surely lost time and money by not getting a month of baseball with a team that wasn’t playing for anything. Like, what are you talking about?

What am I talking about? I posted Buxton’s stats right in my post. Those stats absolutely justify the move. What did Buxton do in 2018 that demonstrated he was worthy of being on a MLB roster?

In any CBA/NBU business relationship, one party shouldn’t just make exceptions here and there, otherwise they set a precedent. When it comes to a dispute with a player and ownership, the MLBPA most certainly will take the position which supports the player.

If Buxton simply learns to hit, he will have every opportunity to earn more money through arbitration and then free agency. I don’t believe the Twins are wrong to require that he produces before rewarding him. Sano was sent down to A-Ball at some point in 2018, and they were justified in doing that. The team has that right. It’s called accountability. Buxton got a taste of it, and I don’t think the Twins are at fault for it. I think if the team did anything differently, it sends an even worse message to the other players in the organization.

Edited by DrNeau, 12 December 2018 - 06:30 AM.

• Jerr, brvama, SwainZag and 15 others like this

#7 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:33 AM

I also completely disagree with this post. He had an excellent 2017 and then was injured and jerked around last year.He's going about dealing with the way he was treated unfairly with maturity and reasonableness in my opinion. Even Falvey knows that, as you can see by how he's acknowledging Buxton deserves to blow off a little steam.Buxton's not holding it against the fans or his teammates or the kids whose charity he attended. And he seems to want to excel as much as ever. I really think he's going to show a few people this year. 

Edited by nytwinsfan, 12 December 2018 - 06:34 AM.

• Carole Keller, NapoleonComplex, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#8 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:46 AM

In 2018, Buxton had 94 ABs. There were 458 MLB players who had a minimum of 90 ABs. Out of those 458 players, Buxton ranked 457th in OPS. Players get demoted all the time for poor performance. I can’t think of a better justification than this.

https://www.fangraph...10,d&page=16_30
  • SwainZag, howieramone2, d-mac and 6 others like this

#9 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:00 AM

I’m sympathic to both sides of the argument, but I still think it was a really terrible idea from management to mess with his service time like that.
  • Carole Keller, beckmt, NapoleonComplex and 5 others like this

#10 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:01 AM

In 2018, Buxton had 94 ABs. There were 458 MLB players who had a minimum of 90 ABs. Out of those 458 players, Buxton ranked 457th in OPS. Players get demoted all the time for poor performance. I can’t think of a better justification than this.

https://www.fangraph...10,d&page=16_30

If he’s so terrible then why bother messing with his service time.
  • Carole Keller, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 6 others like this

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,838 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:02 AM

The fact that he's engaged suggests that his use of "pissed" isn't so much directed at the Twins as the circumstances, probably including himself.  

I hope this signals he's motivated to be the player we all believe he's capable of being.

This. I hope this is true.

If he's still upset, I don't have much to say. He didn't deserve a callup. He played awful the entire season. 

• Carole Keller, glunn, Thrylos and 14 others like this

#12 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 917 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:47 AM

Well the Twins probably bought an extra year of his services, which is fine because if he hits the jackpot and figures out how to become a superstar he most likely will not resign with the Twins anyway. Even before this crap he most likely wouldnt have come back anyway. It's just how things are in Twins land.
  • Platoon and Minny505 like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:47 AM

I think this is exactly what the Twins brass hoped for.Let's hope it translates to his game.

• Jerr, Puckett34, Blackjack and 6 others like this

#14 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:49 AM

If I'm running the Twins and I know how the MLB rules work around minimum salaries, service time and arbitration -- and I DON'T take them into consideration when I make player decisions, I'm on the street looking for work.

Buxton is not a victim.He's an elite athlete.The way to champagne and roses runs right through figuring out how to hit.

And God, are we all hoping he figures that out.

• Twins33, brvama, Bill Tanner and 5 others like this

#15 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:55 AM

Buxtons "potential" would justify a callup. His "performance" did not. That said I would have left him in Rochester for a different reason. If he continues on his present performance path, which btw I don't think he will, leaving him sit was a moot point. If he turns into the player he has the potential to be, overall history would indicate he's "outa here" as soon as he is a FA. So the move gave the team one more year of the good Buxton. I can't say if he would really bolt, but the overall odds are in that direction. :(
  • wsnydes, Minny505 and 3balls2strikes like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#16 wsnydes

wsnydes

Winter baseball enthusiast

• Members
  • 3,688 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:59 AM

I think this is exactly what the Twins brass hoped for.Let's hope it translates to his game.

This. I believe that if I were in Buxton's situation, I'd be miffed at the team for clearly messing with my service time. I most certainly would have wanted that extra time to get my bearings. That said, I'd be really pissed at myself for not forcing the issue to begin with. If I would have simply played better then this would have been less likely to happen. Not playing all that well to begin with only cemented to move in my view.

From the team's standpoint though, I do agree that this reaction is exactly what the FO was looking for. I'm still not sure that I completely agree with the move, but I do think that this was the reaction they wanted and I'm definitely happy with the result in that regard.

• Carole Keller, Jerr, Bill Tanner and 2 others like this

"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains." 

#17 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:06 AM

According to the Star Tribune, Byron Buxton is displeased with the Twins after not being called up in September of 2018. According to Byron Buxton himself, in the article's video, he said he is "pissed". 

Byron Buxton's 2018 accomplishments: 

* 4 DL trips

* Multiple migraines

* Blurred vision

* Broken toe
* 134 games missed
* 28 games played
* 0 HR
* 4 RBI
* .156 BA
* .383 OPS

Byron Buxton has no real gripe here. He did absolutely nothing in 2018. He was completely clueless at the plate. 

I've got to say, though. I loved that video. Buxton actually broke the boring cookie cutter mold and said what he thought. Actually really respected that response. Sounds to me like he believes in himself. That is good to hear. Buxton says he has an "edge" to him after that? Great. Let' me see it.

Show me what you're all about, Buck. I'll root for you. 

Agreed.Like another poster said it's "put up or shut up time" for Byron Buxton.The same can be said of Kepler and Sano as well.

• Jerr, h2oface, howieramone2 and 5 others like this

#18 DrNeau

DrNeau

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Banned
  • 924 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:22 AM

If he’s so terrible then why bother messing with his service time.

Maybe part of the decision was to send Buxton a message.

If the message is "produce first and earn rewards second", then maybe it is not such a bad message. Whether or not Buxton likes the message, he receives it. Also, the message funnels down within the organization. I do not think that's such a bad thing. A merit-based system creates an incentive for the employee to perform well. 

If Buxton had produced in 2018, he would have continued playing, passing the threshold, and the team's judgment undoubtedly would not be in question. If he was so worthy of being on an MLB roster in September, you would think he would have hit better than .156 for the entire remainder of the year. He did not.

Any employer has the right to demote and further train an employee, in order to increase their productivity. It was a business decision based upon an employee's background and performance. The makeup of this player (draft rank, money and time already invested in him, etc.) and potential of this player are things to be considered. Considering Buxton's horrible 2018 injury-marred performance, the team decided that it was better to shut him down. Myself included, many people didn't even raise an eyebrow at this; others, however, are completely up in arms about it, and vilifying the organization.

It's an interesting topic. 

Edited by DrNeau, 12 December 2018 - 08:23 AM.

• Jerr, Minny505, MN_ExPat and 3 others like this

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,729 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:25 AM

The Twins ****ed with his service time. Full stop. He was hitting well in AAA and then they claimed he was playing hurt, which, if true, means the entire front office should've been fired for making him play hurt. The ML roster had injuries to their OFers so Grossman was starting in the corners. They promoted Johnny Field, who was playing worse than Buxton in AAA, instead of Buxton. The Twins had every right to do what they did but it was still a dick move and we'll see if it poisoned the relationship in a few years.

• wavedog, beckmt, markos and 9 others like this

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 December 2018 - 08:57 AM

The Twins ****ed with his service time. Full stop. He was hitting well in AAA and then they claimed he was playing hurt, which, if true, means the entire front office should've been fired for making him play hurt. 

Fact:He was in the DL from July 14 to July 27th and from August 1st to August 14th with a left wrist issue.He played in 12 games from July 14th on...

• James and Original Whizzinator like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98