Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Vikings Journal Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Even In The Future, Moving A Twins Minor League Team To St. Paul Will Face Hurdles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...iate-in-St-Paul
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#2 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

If the Twins really want to get an affiliate in St. Paul, perhaps the target date should be 2020, not 2016.

My understanding is that the current franchise agreements in the Midwest League are in place through 2020. In other words, all the current teams are guaranteed players through that year. However, when that's up, we could have a whole new ballgame. I don't think its out of the question for MiLB and/or the Midwest League to say at that point Beloit, Burlington, and maybe even Clinton's facilities are not up to par, and essentially revoke their franchises.

And then you've got expansion on the table, where you could open up moving into St. Paul, and/or some of the other Northwoods or Frontier League cities that might be interested in going with affiliated ball.

Its probably a longshot, and at best, its almost a decade away, but if the Twins actually want to have a minor league team in their backyard, that might be the way it could actually get done.

#3 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

2020 will be interesting well beyond the MWL. That's when the whole MLB/MiLB agreement expires, I believe. So all of these rules about how the whole minor league affiliation system will have to be renegotiated by then. So yes, how that negotiation changes things could certainly change the landscape. At the very least, I would think stadium standards would get a thorough review and that's why any community that's currently way down the list in terms of facilities should plan on doing something about that before 2020.

I'm still not sure that the Twins and/or Veeck are really all that excited about a possible affiliation, though. Then again, 8 years is a long time and who knows how anyone will feel by then?
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

So what's the benefit for the Twins? Easy access for rehab assignments, but most players are going to do serious rehab at the complex in Ft Myers anyway so that doesn't really matter. Easy access for viewing some prospects, but it's a low level so there's little need to see them too frequently and the location isn't really a big upgrade over Beloit.

Wouldn't the Twins be against it, just from a business competition standpoint? They probably already figure they are losing some sales to the Saints. The Tigers effectively blocked a minor league startup from using old Tiger Stadium for business reasons.

#5 nowheresville

nowheresville

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

The Saints becoming a Twins Affiliate wouldn't be more competition, it would be less.

Regardless of what happens, the Saints are going to be playing in St. Paul in a new ballpark. The only question is if it would be an independent league team like it is now, or if they someday join the Twins family. Either way you look at it, there is another professional team in the Twin Cities.

If they became affiliated, then the Saints basically become a gigantic advertising tool for the Twins. They'd be able to promote Target Field all over the new Midway, and fans who go to Saints games will be getting to know players that will someday be on the Twins roster, which only helps. Imagine if people going to Saints games this year had been watching Miguel Sano play, how much more excited would they be to watch him when he makes it to Target Field in a couple years?

The other reality is that its already being done all over baseball. The Indians MWL team is less than 20 miles from Cleveland. The Reds have a team in Dayton - and if you ever go to Great American Ballpark, you see tons of Dragons gear and ads. The Cubs just moved their MWL team to the suburb of Kane County. The ones I think are real interesting are the AAA teams that are right next door, like Seattle whose AAA team is in Tacoma, and the Braves who have both their AAA and an A ball team near Atlanta. Certainly, such an arraignment could work, if the Twins wanted it to, and all of the other, bigger, complications could be solved

#6 Don't Feed the Greed Guy

Don't Feed the Greed Guy

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Our family took a trip to Beloit earlier this summer, and a great Father-Son memory is a road-trip with my Dad to see the Kenosha Twins several years ago. My boys have already seen the "Mr. Shucks" videos, so we'll be driving past the corn fields on our way to Cedar Rapids next summer. All the same, The St. Paul Saint, as MN Twins Class-A affiliate would mean 4 or 5 games a season for me, as opposed to two games over, what, almost 30 years... I love the concept. Now, does the Midwest League see this as a "value added" move? What's in it for them?

#7 gremacenikishi

gremacenikishi

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

WOW! This information made me understand something, and it is that I never knew before.