Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2019 draft

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:30 AM

Lot's of baseball before the draft, so the lists will change a lot.I also noted there seems to be a lot of players in the same range from around where the Twins first pick falls to the thirties.Twins should get some decent players and the new FO seems to be doing very good things in this area.  

I agree with the posters who want high school players, higher gain/risk factors.Twins seem to have talent in the pipeline for around 5 years and I would like to see if they can get over the top by drafting some higher talent high school players, though the college route last year worked out well.

#22 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:36 AM

I am concerned about how this draft stacks up for the Twins.Arizona has like 7 or 8 picks in the first 100 picks so anybody who falls they can pick them up and find the money to sign them. So even if the Twins did find a way to save some money with their first round pick it will be hard to compete for talent with Arizona likely having more money to make deals.

For this years draft I would like to see the Twins go with a high school arm with frontline starter potential at pick 13 and a high school bat with the later pick.I think most of the good arms will be off the board by the time they get their second pick however other teams might have a similar strategy and leave a 55 to 60 hitter on the board for us so it might be hard to choose a pitcher in our spot.  

Lot's of time left for players to rise and fall but we should be able to get a good player at 13 and hopefully grab some fallen players with Supplemental and second round picks.

Edited by Dman, 18 February 2019 - 08:37 AM.

#23 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

Saw Witt at HR Derby. Seems like he might be high on himself. Why is Carroll so good?

I've seen Witt the last three years down in WWBA in Jupiter, he's continually improved most of his facets.He has above average power but his contact skills are just average and his approach at the plate is suspect at times.His arm is strong, not Rece Hinds strong but it's a weapon.Defensively he needs alot of work at SS and refinement but gets good marks for his soft hands and nice tags.I'm not completely sold on him staying at SS but he's gonna stick in the infield at 2B or 3B.

Carroll has one of the sweetest swings in the draft and one of the best contact bats as well as an advanced approach at the plate.His power is average right now but has the ability to grow to above average down the road.Defensively, he's athletic with a plus arm and runs good routes.His comp is Andrew Benintendi

• nicksaviking likes this

#24 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

Prospect gurus Eric and Kiley of Fangraphs have some scouting notes on a couple of college arms who will be moving into the 20's on their draft board and could be firmly range for the Twins 1st round pick if they keep it up throughout the season.

Check it out here: https://blogs.fangra...scouting-notes/

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and nicksaviking like this

#25 lamiwe21

lamiwe21

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

I saw Riley Greene in person last week. I was impressed and his attributes remind me of Albert Almora. He doubled, monster HR, walked, and had a terrible strikeout on a 54 MPH slurve.I will see Jerrion Ealy mid March.

• ashbury, gunnarthor and NumberThree like this

#26 lamiwe21

lamiwe21

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:04 AM

Saw C.J. Abrams, Kendall Williams, Rece Hinds, Brennan Malone, and Daniel Espino this weekend.

That’s the order I liked them also.

I think Kendall Williams will move quickly once drafted.
  • glunn, Mike Sixel and nicksaviking like this

#27 lamiwe21

lamiwe21

Elizabethton Twins

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Saw Jerron Ealy and Maurice Hampton at Battle of the Beach. 

What a interesting and similar pair. Both have scholarships at Division I schools to play both ways at the same position in both sports. Both could never swing a bat again in 40 days and both could never step onto a college campus. If your taking either of these players on Day 1, they are going to be slow movers. I personally like Ealy better. 

• glunn and nicksaviking like this

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

mlbpipeline updated their draft list. Twins draft 13, 39, 54 and 90. 

https://www.mlb.com/...peline-coverage

The draft is good for position players but a bit ... blah on arms.

""This is the worst group of college arms I've seen in the first round in my 30 years of scouting," a NL front-office executive said. "It's so weak.""

Edited by gunnarthor, 03 May 2019 - 09:47 AM.

• glunn likes this

#29 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:03 AM

So that new MLB pipeline list looks pretty good for the Twins picking at 13:

Corbin Carroll #14
Josh Jung #16
Kameron Misner #19

In terms of the #39 and #54 picks:

Rece Hinds #35
Kendall Williams #53
Carter Stewart #59

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 04 May 2019 - 04:05 AM.

• gunnarthor and nytwinsfan like this

#30 AZTwin

AZTwin

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:57 AM

So that new MLB pipeline list looks pretty good for the Twins picking at 13:

Corbin Carroll #14
Josh Jung #16
Kameron Misner #19

In terms of the #39 and #54 picks:

Rece Hinds #35
Kendall Williams #53
Carter Stewart #59

Wow carter Stewart has fallen quite a bit after the early 1st round pick last year

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 13,267 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

Wow carter Stewart has fallen quite a bit after the early 1st round pick last year

Seems like a lot of those guys that fall end up still being decent ml players. Wouldn't mind burning a pick on him if he's there in the 2nd. 

• 70charger likes this

#32 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

Seems like a lot of those guys that fall end up still being decent ml players. Wouldn't mind burning a pick on him if he's there in the 2nd.

My thoughts exactly. I never understand how much these rankings can change so much after the spring season. MLB players have lousy seasons. That doesn’t change their core abilities.

An example of this is Trea Turner. A year out from the draft he was in the conversation to go #1. He wound up falling to 13 to the Padres while the Twins took Nick Gordon at #5. Would have been good to use the “let’s take the guy billed as #1” strategy in 2014!

Edit to add: I know no one likes the draft second-guessing. However, I bring it up in the context of the conversation as a potential lesson that could be learned for future drafts. If the Twins could get someone of Turner’s caliber from THIS YEAR’s #13 pick, including targeting anyone who’s stock has just recently fallen, that would be great.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 05 May 2019 - 06:03 AM.

• 70charger likes this

#33 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:32 PM

My thoughts exactly. I never understand how much these rankings can change so much after the spring season. MLB players have lousy seasons. That doesn’t change their core abilities.

An example of this is Trea Turner. A year out from the draft he was in the conversation to go #1. He wound up falling to 13 to the Padres while the Twins took Nick Gordon at #5. Would have been good to use the “let’s take the guy billed as #1” strategy in 2014!

Edit to add: I know no one likes the draft second-guessing. However, I bring it up in the context of the conversation as a potential lesson that could be learned for future drafts. If the Twins could get someone of Turner’s caliber from THIS YEAR’s #13 pick, including targeting anyone who’s stock has just recently fallen, that would be great.

This cuts both ways. Going into 2017, guys like Jeren Kendell and Alex Fraedo were in contention to be the #1 pick.

#34 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:01 PM

Everyone is a great drafter with the benefit of hindsight.

• gunnarthor likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#35 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,127 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

High school guys don't grow. Any doubts that don't look better are confirmed. They make a change in approach for some reason. They face different levels of competition. They put on bad weight. Lots of things change about how you view someone with another several months of data.

That said, some people wanted Turner....

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#36 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:45 AM

mlbpipeline has a mock draft!

13. Twins: Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)

The Twins have taken hitters with their last three first picks, two of them of the high school variety. Carroll has one of most advanced bats among the high school set with plus speed to go along with it.

I'm ok with that pick but I'd think some other players are more likely.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#37 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:37 AM

mlbpipeline has a mock draft!

13. Twins: Corbin Carroll, OF, Lakeside HS (Seattle)

The Twins have taken hitters with their last three first picks, two of them of the high school variety. Carroll has one of most advanced bats among the high school set with plus speed to go along with it.

I'm ok with that pick but I'd think some other players are more likely.

Corbin is unlikely to ever hit for much power but he has high end hit + end speed/field + lots of athleticism. I'd be very happy with him at 13, but doubt he'll fall to that point. Also would love for Zack Thompson to fall to 13. Fangraphs scouts him as having THREE 60 grade pitches (fastball, curveball and change). That's pretty rare for a college player, even if his command/control may need further tuning. Also would be happy with Matthew Allen (best HS pitcher) or Brett Baty if they think he is likely to stick at 3B.

#38 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:50 AM

Josh Jung, if the Twins think he can stick at third, would be a good pick, I think.

#39 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Carroll has one of the sweetest swings in the draft and one of the best contact bats as well as an advanced approach at the plate. His power is average right now but has the ability to grow to above average down the road. Defensively, he's athletic with a plus arm and runs good routes. His comp is Andrew Benintendi

I like Bob’s review. I’d be happy with him as their pick.