Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2019 draft

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:27 AM

Just a little information. Twins have the 13th and 40th pick in the first round.  

mlbpipeline just put up their top 50 for the draft here. And they also have a nice little write-up on the class.

https://www.mlb.com/...led/c-301460626

"The crop of talent for the 2019 Draft appears to be one of the most imbalanced in recent memory. Quality position prospects abound all over the diamond, while question marks surround the best pitchers available. "If you're in the hunt for pitching up top, this might not be the best year for it, especially with the college arms," an American League scouting director said. "It's definitely a position-player Draft from what I've seen over the summer. It's better than what it's been the last couple of years. It's almost a little scary how good the hitters are compared to the pitchers.""

Both the White Sox and Tigers are likely to get a pretty good college hitter in the top 5.

Obviously, we have a full season of HS and college baseball which will move the list around quite a bit but there are some pretty intriguing players that could slip to the Twins. The best 3B prospect is Josh Jung but he's unlikely to fall to 13, unless the Twins finagle some kind of major $$$ promise by punting the 40th pick or something. 3B prospect Rece Hinds has big power but concerns about too many strike outs. If he has a big year, he could easily be the Twins pick. Zach Thompson is a SP from Kentucky and the Twins have drafted/scouted that school a lot.

• glunn, markos, nytwinsfan and 3 others like this

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• Twins Mods
  • 12,620 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

It seems to me that every year you have pitchers at the college levels come out of nowhere. I think it's too soon to be concerned about pitching in that draft.

They aren't picking high enough to play the $$$ games with their first rounder, and honestly, the high minors have plenty of intersting prospects at the moment... so do the low minors for that matter. I'd probably play the long game. If I had to ask for a strategy, it would probably be to load up on as many high schoolers as they can while taking some cheap college players to make the dollars work. 

• glunn likes this

#3 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

Having that 74th pick sure would certainly help with the $$$ issues...

• Mike Sixel and Twins33 like this

#4 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:24 PM

Does anyone know why the MLB doesn't allow teams to trade draft picks except the conditional ones?

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,338 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

Does anyone know why the MLB doesn't allow teams to trade draft picks except the conditional ones?

Teams were worried that it would give more power to the agents and the players and that poor teams would trade their top picks to the Yankees for money. This was more a problem before the draft set a draft pool but it's still a consideration. Remember, Carl Pohlad was strongly against increasing the bonuses for draft picks and made the Twins pick cheaply. The Twins could've traded the #20 pck they spent on Ben Revere and grabbed him in the second round and the Yankees could've used the #20 pick to get another high bonus guy. 

• glunn, dgwills and howieramone2 like this

#6 tvagle

tvagle

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

4 picks in the top 100 should be more than enough for some Falvine Draft Magic...still wish they would've tanked for Rutschman...he could of solved the Vikings kicking woes at the same time!

• glunn and howieramone2 like this

Is it 2020 yet?

#7 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

I am wondering if they would make a deal with Busch or Waldner or someone slated to go in the 20's and save money for more high schoolers down the line.Has sort of been their MO in recent drafts.I would still like to see them focus on young arms early in the draft as they have seemed to find hitters with decent upside later in the draft and right now we need better pitching in our system.

It seems like after the first few guys there isn't a huge drop off in talent from 13 to 30.Seems like a decent scenario to try and save some money for players that fall unless someone they really like falls to them.

If I had to guess I would say they will grab someone with a 55 to 60 hit tool or pitcher with a 60 curve.Could be college or high school but that is the type they seem to grab early.

• glunn and ChrisKnutson like this

#8 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:09 PM

Teams were worried that it would give more power to the agents and the players and that poor teams would trade their top picks to the Yankees for money. This was more a problem before the draft set a draft pool but it's still a consideration. Remember, Carl Pohlad was strongly against increasing the bonuses for draft picks and made the Twins pick cheaply. The Twins could've traded the #20 pck they spent on Ben Revere and grabbed him in the second round and the Yankees could've used the #20 pick to get another high bonus guy. 

You wonder why they don't start using a system similar to the NHL where players are drafted once they turn 18 and then are under team control for a number of years. I feel like it would take a lot of power away from the players and agents.

#9 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:49 PM

13th pick? 13th prospect on the list looks like an ok looking choice at this point...

• glunn and Thrylos like this

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:53 PM

You wonder why they don't start using a system similar to the NHL where players are drafted once they turn 18 and then are under team control for a number of years. I feel like it would take a lot of power away from the players and agents.

These things are (at least in part) subject to the collective bargaining agreement, and so you answered your own question with that last observation.

• glunn and MN_ExPat like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#11 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:35 PM

Remember Mark Davidson, the 4th OF on the Twins 87 championship team? His son is a junior at Clemson and a 3rd team All American at SS. A switch hitter, he is 6' 3 " 185 lbs. He is among the top 5 SS in the 2019 draft. Logan's sister played tennis at Stanford. Mark was from my hometown. I told Mark that his athletic children must have gotten their mother's genes.

• ashburyjohn, glunn, howieramone2 and 1 other like this

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

I told Mark that his athletic children must have gotten their mother's genes.

Not necessarily. She might have had an affair with an athlete. Try telling him that, next time you see him.

• USAFChief, Yoke, glunn and 3 others like this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#13 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 823 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

Not necessarily. She might have had an affair with an athlete. Try telling him that, next time you see him.

I'll told Mark what you said. He asked me to ask you where you live.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Yoke and 3 others like this

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,765 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

13th pick? 13th prospect on the list looks like an ok looking choice at this point...

So does the 40th

• glunn likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#15 lamiwe21

lamiwe21

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

Early likes for me are Rece Hinds and Matt Wallner. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#16 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

Gold

#17 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:59 AM

I'll told Mark what you said. He asked me to ask you where you live.

Why? Ashburyjohn isn't an athlete.

• Yoke and tarheeltwinsfan like this