Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Is Mitch Garver Still a Catcher?

mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,960 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

Unfortunately, his bat really doesn't play anywhere else. Didn't Josmil Pinto have this problem a few years ago?

Edited by gunnarthor, 07 December 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:17 AM

Has Castro suffered concussions?

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,741 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

problem is that if concucssions and catching is a concern, you'll end up with no catchers. I think at this point, Garver is still a catcher. He's one of the spots I'm not too worried about. Offensively, he's well above a typical catcher, and his defense seems to be catching up. 

• SF Twins Fan, wabene and DannySD like this

#24 JLease

JLease

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 659 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

I hope he's ok.

If he can catch, he's a nice player. If he can't...he hits like Kepler. Great behind the plate, not so great in other positions.

Would be a shame if concussions drive him out from behind the plate (and possibly out of the league). I'd like to see him as the primary catcher the next 2-3 season.

#25 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 658 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

It's also worth noting the fact that a baseball has a much broader surface to create an impact whereas a hockey puck (unless it's tumbling) is much narrower.

I'm not sure what the point is but just let me add that a frozen, vulcanized rubber puck shot at 100 MPH creates a much harder impact than a cork wrapped in yarn and covered with horsehair even if it is thrown 100 MPH.

• wabene likes this

#26 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,106 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure what the point is but just let me add that a frozen, vulcanized rubber puck shot at 100 MPH creates a much harder impact than a cork wrapped in yarn and covered with horsehair even if it is thrown 100 MPH.

As someone who was a hockey goalie and led his high school team in HBP they both hurt if you're hit in the wrong place! Never was concussed playing hockey, and ironically did get concussed colliding with my teammate chasing down a Texas league fly ball. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to prevent concussions. They just happen on the ice, field, or court.
  • KGB and SF Twins Fan like this

#27 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 141 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:32 PM

I heard or maybe read somewhere that the evolution of the catchers mask is partially responsible for the rash of concussions in recent years. I can't remember where I got it from so there is that. The point of it was that in years pst the catchers used masks with beefier (ie. iron) bars that provided solid protection. The newer masks have lighter weight materials that relieve pressure on the catchers (and umpires) but do not provide the same protection. Having played goalie in hockey, I can tell you that my bell was rung more than once while wearing a hockey mask. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#28 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 658 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:41 PM

I heard or maybe read somewhere that the evolution of the catchers mask is partially responsible for the rash of concussions in recent years. I can't remember where I got it from so there is that. The point of it was that in years pst the catchers used masks with beefier (ie. iron) bars that provided solid protection. The newer masks have lighter weight materials that relieve pressure on the catchers (and umpires) but do not provide the same protection. Having played goalie in hockey, I can tell you that my bell was rung more than once while wearing a hockey mask. 

I've played goalie since 1958 (and still play it occasionally) and I was a catcher off and on (but not very recently).The old hockey masks were closer in design to catchers masks and I felt the impact of puck much more than I have with the newer designed helmets that deflect the impact.Having the front of a catchers mask come to a point rather than wide will deflect the impact.It won't prevent getting hit by the bat, but as pointed out above, you can always move further back in the catcher's box.

• lecroy24fan, Dr. Evil, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#29 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 658 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

I've played goalie since 1958 (and still play it occasionally) and I was a catcher off and on (but not very recently).The old hockey masks were closer in design to catchers masks and I felt the impact of puck much more than I have with the newer designed helmets that deflect the impact.Having the front of a catchers mask come to a point rather than wide will deflect the impact.It won't prevent getting hit by the bat, but as pointed out above, you can always move further back in the catcher's box.

I also played up to my sophomore year in college without a mask (it became mandatory in 1966) so I'm kind of familiar with the impact of pucks......

• Dr. Evil likes this

#30 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,106 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:47 PM

Nice to meet a few fellow goalies! No wonder why we get along... We're all crazy enough to willingly let someone shoot a puck as hard as they can against us!
  • USNMCPO likes this

#31 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:20 PM

Nice to meet a few fellow goalies! No wonder why we get along... We're all crazy enough to willingly let someone shoot a puck as hard as they can against us!

Goalie??Obviously, you didn't have a younger brother! :)

• lecroy24fan and birdwatcher like this

#32 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

If Garver can play first AND an outfield corner at an acceptable level, he'd be a good utility guy, with the RHB. But, that's the only way he has much value if he isn't a catcher. An every-day 1B/DH that can be expected to OPS 720 to maybe 800 on a really good year? Sounds familiar...but I'm going to say no thanks.

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 13,106 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Goalie?? Obviously, you didn't have a younger brother! :)

I was the youngest brother and my older brother obviously needed someone to shoot on in the basement!
  • jkcarew likes this

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,184 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

If the batter is in the batters box, it's the catcher responsibility to move back enough so he doesn't get hit in the head. 

Then if a batter has his body parts outside the batter's box towards the plate, it should not be the pitcher's fault if they get hurt with the ball...

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#35 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 658 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

I was the youngest brother and my older brother obviously needed someone to shoot on in the basement!

I also am the youngest.My older brother was also a goalie and when he finished his college career, I inherited his hand-made equipment.I had no choice.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#36 big dog

big dog

• 3,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:54 PM

If the batter is in the batters box, it's the catcher responsibility to move back enough so he doesn't get hit in the head. 

If you are in the batter's box and you take one hand off the bat on your followthrough you could just about hit the umpire.The catcher can't get far enough back.

Edited by big dog, 07 December 2018 - 04:55 PM.

• wabene likes this

#37 Penthang

Penthang

• 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:32 AM

So Garver and Astudillo are the Twins remaining OBP potential…interesting

--Twins Fan From Texas

#38 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,470 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:24 AM

They are making strides in better catching gear.Tyler Flowers is part owner of what is supposed to be the new revolution of catcher masks, Force3.

https://www.cbssport...th-head-trauma/

From the article:

"What makes the Defender mask unique is its unusual, spring-loaded design that absorbs shocks. "It's really logical, and it's kind of baffling that nobody came up with this idea before," Flowers said. He compared the mask's structure to a car's suspension system, explaining that the Defender comprises two masks: an outer one (the part exposed to foul tips) and an inner one (the part with padding). The two are connected by the spring system. "When the outer mask is impacted, the springs compress and absorb the majority of the energy; it rebounds," Flowers said. "You feel just a little bit of it. But the reduction is remarkable.""

All of the Twins' catchers should try this.

• USAFChief, lecroy24fan, Twins33 and 2 others like this

#39 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,470 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:35 AM

The test results suggest that this is a major improvement.

• USAFChief and Twins33 like this

#40 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,571 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:41 AM

I recall a spring training game maybe five +/- years ago.Not 100% certain, but I think our catcher was Ramos.I believe we were playing Baltimore and the catcher was hit in the head by bats three times.Again not 100% certain, but I think Machado was the culprit two or all three times.  

Perhaps that infraction, assuming the catcher is in the area he is supposed to be, should be handled a bit like hockey.Rather than a 2-minute penalty, the batter is ejected from the game.After a second occurrence, he is ejected and must sit out the next game.Three times and it becomes two games, etc.Add that he doesn't get paid for those next games and they would be adding some real teeth to something that is a problem and no one talks about.  

Now the argument would be where do those dollars go?And I would go so far as to give the teams losing the player the right for a free callup from the minors for those games, kind of like the 26th player for double headers.

Edited by rdehring, 08 December 2018 - 09:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mitch garver