Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Sign Infielder Ronald Torreyes

ronald torreyes
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

Wrong. He's on the 40 man, it's a split major league contract, meaning he'll make less money during the time he's in the minors than he will during the time he's in the majors.

Alright.Looks like he is.

Edited by Thrylos, 06 December 2018 - 08:33 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#22 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:33 PM

If he were on the 40-man, with the Schoop addition, the roster would be at 41...

He's listed on the 40 man at the team's site, and I count 40 guys on there. Did you forget to subtract Grossman?

• Thrylos likes this

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,967 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Signing Torreyes with Adrianza on the roster suddenly makes me feel a little better about Cron and Austin on the roster. 

My guess is that the boys are acquiring talent and setting up options. Nothing is in stone. 

I'm absolutely OK with that. 

Umm... Well. 

Unless I'm wrong

• Sconnie, DocBauer, gagu and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,931 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:26 PM

I have no issue with any of the moves.

But it does show that the Twins aren't going after the big-big money players, and if I must say, still looking hard at what they do have. Be interesting to see the arbitration settlements with the likes of Sano and Buxton and if they do extend Berrios and Rosario.

Yes, they can still add a bullpen arm.

They might pull off a trade.

I hate to see them just jettison players from the current 40-man with nothing received in return. But we will see.

Hope they don't see the need for a Rule 5, especially a bullpen arm.

Will the Twins break $90 million in salary?

Will anyone go to TwinsFest?

it shows that the Twins have made moves to fill out the infield. There’s still more work to be done, hopefully 2-3 pitchers and maybe an outfielder with a big stick
  • DocBauer likes this

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 20,000 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

We now have 19 batters and only 21 pitchers on the roster. I found it so strange the past year or two running with 24 or 25 arms and barely enough bats for just the 25-man roster.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

A painter should not paint what he sees, but what will be seen.-- Paul Valery

#26 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:43 PM

They didn't

You might want to get your facts straight. He's on the 40 man roster.

• darin617 likes this

#27 sdangus

sdangus

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:01 PM

Like I said on another thread, they need to have players that are MLB capable on their roster with options available so they can move them on and off the roster as they need to adjust the size of their bullpen throughout the year. The same thing applies to some of the bottom options in the bullpen.

• Ben Noble likes this

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:24 PM

I was pretty mesh about the Torreyes signing initially ,but when Dan Hayes tweeted that it was a split deal and he has an option remaining, I like it. He has an option left, so he could go down. He could compete with Adrianza for a utility infield job in 2019, and if he wins, Adrianza's contract isn't guaranteed. Also, one more year of Adrianza as a utility guy might make him a $2 million guy, in which case they can non-tender him and Torreyes does the same job in 2020 or $1.2 million instead. Also, Torreyes has hit a bit in the big leagues too, so there's certainly some talent there.

By no means a big bat, but decent milb BA and OB with a few SB tossed in. And yes, he has actually hit some at the ML level. Reminds me a little bit of picking up Adrianza on the cheap. With Gordon, Arraez and Schales, provides some depth. Not excited, but OK with the move.

Fully expecting further moves, either FA or trades, and the 40 man to still be in flux the next couple of months. (Duh, right?). But I'm wondering if this doesn't turn out to be a 40 man removal at some point and a milb signing.
  • rdehring likes this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#29 dxpavelka

dxpavelka

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 640 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

1. C Garver
2. DH Cron
3. LF Rosario
4. CF Buxton
5. RF Cave
6. 3B Sano
7. SS Polanco
8. 2B Schoop
9. 1B Austin
-- Bench --
10. OF Kepler
11. C Castro
12. IF Adrianza

I understand he has an option remaining, but we signed Torreyes to an mlb contract despite not having a roster spot for him? Also, Castro is bad; need to trade him and let Astudillo have his spot.

Austudillo's a nice story.But if you're counting on him you might as well pencil in another 90 loss season.

• darin617 likes this

#30 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,907 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:51 PM

This one I surely do not understand.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

He's on the forty man? It's now full? I am unsure of the plan.
  • Twins33, d-mac and SF Twins Fan like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#32 d-mac

d-mac

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationJust say no to Rob Antony

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

Is there a trade or something happening? I'm just not sure we needed this. Low risk, but do we really need that many utility infielders?

• SF Twins Fan likes this

4-27-2016: El dia de La Maquina

#33 Kevin

Kevin

• Twins Writers
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:53 AM

I was pretty mesh about the Torreyes signing initially ,but when Dan Hayes tweeted that it was a split deal and he has an option remaining, I like it. He has an option left, so he could go down. He could compete with Adrianza for a utility infield job in 2019, and if he wins, Adrianza's contract isn't guaranteed. Also, one more year of Adrianza as a utility guy might make him a $2 million guy, in which case they can non-tender him and Torreyes does the same job in 2020 or $1.2 million instead. Also, Torreyes has hit a bit in the big leagues too, so there's certainly some talent there. 

Also, Adrianza had surgery on the labrum in his left shoulder in October.

Likely will not affect his fielding but perhaps it will have a negative impact on his offense.We likely won't know until spring training.

• birdwatcher likes this

#34 rdehring

rdehring

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:34 AM

Went thru most of last year with no infielders on the 40-man down at Rochester, until adding Pettit and another guy late in the year.With Gordon and Arraez on the 40-man, but not really ready to be with the Twins, this gives them added depth.Also provides competition for Adrianza.Smart move. 

Expect they will carry more than 21 pitchers, thus, at least one position player will be departing.My best guess is Granite will be first.Additional pitcher signings will be tied to removing a pitcher from the 40-man, whether by trade or waiving player X.

Edited by rdehring, 07 December 2018 - 07:34 AM.

• DocBauer likes this

#35 NapoleonComplex

NapoleonComplex

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

Austudillo's a nice story.But if you're counting on him you might as well pencil in another 90 loss season.

This is a take I can't understand. Astudillo has done nothing but proven himself worthy at every level. He gets mocked because of his stature, but yet out hustled and out-performed nearly everyone on the Twins roster the final two months of the season. What more does he have to do?

No one will ever mistake him for a generational player. He is a guy worthy of playing time at the MLB level. Unless of course you're content with Castro's career .231/.311/.386 ... then by all means. Buh...buh.... pitch framing. Bleh.

Also, 90 losses don't happen because of one player. 

• gagu, SF Twins Fan and rdehring like this

#36 RatherBeGolfing

RatherBeGolfing

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:19 AM

Big Toe! 

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,153 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

Big Toe! 

stripes4-1600x900-c-default.jpg

Every organization needs a big toe!!

• ashburyjohn, GCTF and less cowbell more neau like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 less cowbell more neau

less cowbell more neau

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:25 PM

One year contract, so they're planning on trading him in July.

"Now, more than ever, we need the Jedi." -Bob Wilton

#39 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 849 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

This is a take I can't understand. Astudillo has done nothing but proven himself worthy at every level. He gets mocked because of his stature, but yet out hustled and out-performed nearly everyone on the Twins roster the final two months of the season. What more does he have to do?

No one will ever mistake him for a generational player. He is a guy worthy of playing time at the MLB level. Unless of course you're content with Castro's career .231/.311/.386 ... then by all means. Buh...buh.... pitch framing. Bleh.

Also, 90 losses don't happen because of one player.

Exactly.

#40 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 09:08 AM

100 ABs last year and only 2 walks, that's why his BA of .281 is not very impressive (.291 OBP). IDK, it just seems like there isn't much upside here.