Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

jonathan schoop.
  • Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 Tuba

Tuba

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

Kinda feels like a Terry Ryan signing... 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#22 baumannmd

baumannmd

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:15 PM

I think I read that Schoop was looking for a single year deal. So, even if the Twins offered a second year or an option, it's possible he wasn't interested. I don't think this is a case of the Twins being cheap.

• birdwatcher, Twins33, brvama and 7 others like this

#23 cmoss84

cmoss84

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

Many of you are disappointed it wasn't a longer contract-but Schoop maybe only wanted a one year "prove it" contract to set himself up. Any more years might have have been too costly and too much of a risk. 

• birdwatcher and gagu like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#24 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

Seems like a good buy-low signing.
  • gagu and bighat like this

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,447 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

In a vacuum, a fine deal and the type of deal teams like the Twins need to make (and succeed at) to thrive.

But I'm getting sick and tired of "fine" deals. This team has a truckload of money and they need to spend some of it on players who are more "guaranteed" than "upside if things go right".

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, glunn and 24 others like this

#26 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:21 PM

Agreed. Though if that player shows up in Minnesota it would have been nice to have the option year on him. Otherwise we're paying premium prices next year.

Could be a flip candidate if the team tanks in 2019 and performs at previous year levels. Guy was a 5.2 WAR player in 2017, still a 1.4 WAR last year in a down season.

• gagu and Original Whizzinator like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#27 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,920 posts
  • LocationOceania

If you don't count Torreyes that puts the payroll at $72MM +/- for 19 players by my count.

• glunn likes this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Many of you are disappointed it wasn't a longer contract-but Schoop maybe only wanted a one year "prove it" contract to set himself up. Any more years might have have been too costly and too much of a risk.

It very well could be the case he only wants 1 year to bounce back and cash in on the lost earnings. In an ideal world I would have liked to find a way to sign him from his age 27-29 seasons. But I realize I'm not in the negotiations.
  • ChrisKnutson and cmoss84 like this

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,969 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:23 PM

Could be a flip candidate if the team tanks in 2019 and performs at previous year levels. Guy was a 5.2 WAR player in 2017, still a 1.4 WAR last year in a down season.

True, but I don't look forward to potential flip candidates... Here's to hoping he has a 2016 Dozier-esc season and help the Twins make the playoffs.
  • Mike Sixel, James, Puckett34 and 4 others like this

#30 Puckett34

Puckett34

• Members
  • 1,272 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

True, but I don't look forward to potential flip candidates... Here's to hoping he has a 2016 Dozier-esc season and help the Twins make the playoffs.

Well, neither do I. Just looking at the situation from any angle. Obviously, you hope first and foremost the Twins and Schoop play well.

• Vanimal46, gagu and Original Whizzinator like this

Hit dingers.  Never bunt.

#31 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:31 PM

Kinda feels like a Terry Ryan signing... 

If Schoop was 39 and three years removed from playing MLB I would agree.

I like Schoop the player. I hate one year contracts.

• Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco, d-mac and 2 others like this

#32 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

I’ll repost what I wrote yesterday or two days ago on the “Schoop, Avisail non-tendered” thread:

“Looking at Schoop’s track record, he has posted four seasons in the minors and two seasons in the majors of at least 780 OPS. He had a bad year last year, but he’s still very young and looks like an excellent bounce back candidate.”

Like the move. Polanco-Schoop could make a very strong hitting MI.

As for his low OBP, sure, it would be nice if he was at 350+. But I kind of like a 30HR, 800OPS 2B who is aggressive.

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 06 December 2018 - 05:01 PM.

• luckylager, glunn, birdwatcher and 6 others like this

#33 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

Jed Lowrie or Daniel Murphy would have been the player I would have rather seen them sign.

I can also say I would have rather waited for another team to pick up a 2b first. Hate to think it's another classic Twins overpay. Just because he was projected to make $10M doesn't mean you need to pay him close to that.

My guess is that Dozier will sign for $4M.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#34 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

I'm not overly excited about the Schoop signing but it's not a bad signing either. If he has a bounce back year at all it could be a very good signing.

With both of signings today the Twins are at a full 40 man roster and they clearly need to add at least 1 if not 2 bullpen arms and it would be nice to add a right handed OF. So, who are the DFA candidates when they sign the next player?

#35 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:04 PM

So this gives us Sano, Polanco, Schoop, Adrianza and Torres to man SS/2B/3B. We have Cron/Austin at 1B/DH, Rosario/Buxton/Cave/KeplerReed in the OF and Garver/Castro/AStudillo at C. That means 2 things. Assuming 13 pitchers, I think a safe assumption, this group of 15 has to lose 3 just to get to the 25 man roster. I think it's going to be tough for Austin, Astudillo and Reed to make the team unless there's an injury and Kepler or Cave is going to spend time at 1B. Second, that's it for signing Free agents other than pitchers unless there's a great deal out there in February. No Dozier reunion, no Forsythe, no Nelson Cruz

• glunn and DannySD like this

#36 Original Whizzinator

Original Whizzinator

Whiner

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

4mm for Dozier ouch!! Bout rite though. Shoop's an ironic signing around here with all the obp talk. I've seen Shoop spank the twins before and noticed him. No doubt he has a chance to do some damage this year but I too would like to see some big money dropped

#37 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrators
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

Jonathan Schoop should be like your safety school equivalent to this year's 2B free agent market. He's the guy you have in your back pocket just in case you get rejected by everyone else above him.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad signing, but I will say that I don't think Schoop fits in real well with the rest of the offense. More than anything, I'm just disappointed (barring something unforeseen) this means the Twins won't be getting Marwin, Lowrie or LeMahieu, all of whom I'd prefer over Schoop. I might have even preferred Asdrubal Cabrera.

• USAFChief, glunn, Mike Sixel and 9 others like this

#38 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

Not a fan of this signing, or the way the FO has approached this offseason so far. Yeah we have a lot of untapped potential throughout our lineup, but even our “numbers driven” FO understands this (most of us at TD even understand this), you can’t score runs if you can’t get on base...

Think about it, our FO could’ve easily signed Cruz/Lowrie/Murphy/LeMahieu/Dietrich, they could’ve traded for C. Santana, we could’ve easily been the favorites to win the division, and yet this is the best they can do?? Something’s up, because I know they’re smarter than this.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:37 PM

Oh boy! a 1 year deal.....they really know how to build for the long term!

• Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer, Vanimal46 and 3 others like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

In a vacuum, a fine deal and the type of deal teams like the Twins need to make (and succeed at) to thrive.

But I'm getting sick and tired of "fine" deals. This team has a truckload of money and they need to spend some of it on players who are more "guaranteed" than "upside if things go right".

This. All the moves look good in a vacuum, but we don't live in a vacuum. In context of the other moves, you end up with 5-10 holes every year, because you refuse to acquire long term help.

• markos and SF Twins Fan like this

I remain hopeful on Buxton and Sano.....but I'd not bet the franchise on them.