Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Sign 2B Jonathan Schoop

jonathan schoop.
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#181 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

My first reaction to anything is to be skeptical. I want to know details. Some people view this as disparaging. It isn't.

Do I think Falvey and Levine are doing good jobs? I think they are trying. I think they are working harder than the last guy did. As for Smith, I think he did mostly a good job. True leadership is how one reacts when things go bad, not when things are going well. The Twins never gave Smith the chance and Ryan's reaction was to roll the team back to 1996 and then disappear for 50 weeks out of the year. Smith certainly cared about the team more than that!

People were generally very happy when Smith was canned. History should caution us to be careful what we wish for on that one.

As for the idea of being too critical of leadership and ignoring the work put in by those under their supervision -- that's life, man. The guys at the top get paid a lot, they're the faces of the organization, and ultimately the buck stops with them. They are responsible. If someone beneath them screwed up, it's on the person at the top to address it. And, yes, the person at the top gets all the credit when things are going well.

Until the people at the top of the Twins organization fix the very obvious communication with players problem it won't matter who they sign, the team will flounder in mediocrity. They keep trying to sign a new Torii Hunter every year instead of doing this organically by themselves.

Edited by Doomtints, 03 January 2019 - 04:17 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#182 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 22,475 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

You know I was being facetious. Billy Smith is a crappy swimmer.

Smith, BTW did not in fact have the final authority to sign Sano. This decision required approval from above.

Smith was the GM of course.My tiresome argument has been consistently based on the distinctions among roles, titles, and authority and I think people have been quick to disparage, quick to attribute credit.

No...I'm going to have to push back here.

Whether or not the final authority to sign Sano required approval from above...and I hope it didn't, we're talking about a rather small amount of money in the big scheme of things...the decision to devote a large portion of the international budget to one person was certainly Smith's.

And I, for one, do not believe that decision would have been the same under Ryan.

The underling's work would have been the same. But not the decision.

• Ben Noble and ewen21 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#183 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

Ryan did not like Sano.He hated him enough to sign Byung Ho Park (which was absolutely ridiculous) and hand the third base job to Plouffe (also ridiculous) to "keep his bat in the lineup".With those two moves he effectively got rid of Vargas (who as every bit as good as Park and cheaper) and he put Sano back on his heels

Terry Ryan was terrible with Latin players